Buddy Needs Help - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Rich, this thread has received 24 replies and been viewed 1539 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Buddy Needs Help

Hey fellas, an old friend of mine has a 99' F-350 4x4 and a little probelm.

The truck has 75K on it and is mainly a distance hauler of one person and air.

The truck has an intake, exhaust, VB mods and chip.....get's almost 18MPG @ 75 MPH.

Ok, here's the problem. When he first got the upgrade, just over the 40k mark, the truck would belch smoke and run like a rabbit. And now, 30k later @ 75k it's just not performing like it did. There isn't as much smoke, it doesn't "peel" @ take-off, and it tends to kick-down a gear a little more. The truck was taken to the Ford dealer and they said everything was fine. Heck the dang oil is changed every 3,000 miles! The oil never seems to burn...but changing every 3k miles, how could ya tell?

Anyone care to guess what the problem might be? :shrug:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Hey fellas, an old friend of mine has a 99' F-350 4x4 and a little probelm.

The truck has 75K on it and is mainly a distance hauler of one person and air.

The truck has an intake, exhaust, VB mods and chip.....get's almost 18MPG @ 75 MPH.

Ok, here's the problem. When he first got the upgrade, just over the 40k mark, the truck would belch smoke and run like a rabbit. And now, 30k later @ 75k it's just not performing like it did. There isn't as much smoke, it doesn't "peel" @ take-off, and it tends to kick-down a gear a little more. The truck was taken to the Ford dealer and they said everything was fine. Heck the dang oil is changed every 3,000 miles! The oil never seems to burn...but changing every 3k miles, how could ya tell?

Anyone care to guess what the problem might be? :shrug:
You never said anything about a fuel filter.

What kind of intake set-up does it have? It has a K&N filter on it...it could be getting "dusted" and lower in compression.

The injectors could be getting worn out also. When an injector gets weak, the PCM compensates by lowering output of all the other injectors to keep a nice smooth running truck.

Hammer
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Yeah, I mentioned both of those to him. He said he "cleans" the air filter every 9k. I tried to tell him IMHO most are not worth the gain and that could add to his problem. I mentioned the Injectors, he said they are still OEM. I mentioned the fuel filter and it's changed every 6 or 10k.

I wondering if the trans could be giving up the ghost ot maybe the turbo?

....has anyone seen a Ford IC get so clogged that the truck would become weak but not smoke much?:shrug:
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I mentioned both of those to him. He said he "cleans" the air filter every 9k. I tried to tell him IMHO most are not worth the gain and that could add to his problem. I mentioned the Injectors, he said they are still OEM. I mentioned the fuel filter and it's changed every 6 or 10k.

I wondering if the trans could be giving up the ghost ot maybe the turbo?

....has anyone seen a Ford IC get so clogged that the truck would become weak but not smoke much?:shrug:
never seen a ic clogged but seen one with a small leek, that lead to a low power issue!:
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 05:24 AM

No smoke means no fuel.I would start with fuel pump.Just a WAG.

Mike
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 05:33 AM

Have him check for boost leaks, pull the intake off and look at the turbo fins. Look for any uneven wear or excessive. Could build a rig and test for boost leaks, I'm rather proud of this...

BTW, my turbo has been dieing a slow death for about 10,000 miles. Used to be at 30+psi and now can just touch 25 with the water-meth spray... BB goes on soon!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leak tester.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	4986  

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 05:34 AM

Fuel pump, thats a good one! Mine died and left me with a 300 tow bill...

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 05:58 AM
Ol Dirt Contractor

Quote:
The truck was taken to the Ford dealer and they said everything was fine.
My wife was in Oregon last month with her 99 7.3 and as Murphy would have it, blew the HX hose. The dealer reflashed the PCM when they eliminated the "aftermarket" hose and put the hp oil plugs back in.:shrug: Mileage dropped 2 mpg on the way home and truck was idling rough again and no power.

I put the Diablo tune back in and ordered a stainless HX line from ITP. New truck again.. Mileage is back.:Thumbup:

Point is, every time the dealer gets ahold of a 7.3 the reflash is mandatory. I think some of them do it with an oil change!:evil: If that truck was at the dealer the chip was probably reflashed..

I was Anti-Obama before it was cool!
Leno: ‘Remember the Old Days When Obama’s Biggest Embarrassment Was Joe Biden'

Ernie Hasse+ Bill Gaither America Medley
XCR 800cc Polaris Triple with Turbo, Nitrous & RMI
96 F250 7.3 Hypermax Stage III’s, H2 for now, Wide Open Performance long block. Spearco Intercooler 4” downpipe Suncoast Tranny, Terminator Oil
Newest--2015 Black VW Golf SportWagen TDI DSG Nav Roof 18" Avignon's Valentine One
Early 99 F250 SD 7.3 almost stock for now
87 Turbo Intercooled T-Bird stock
98 379 Pete 15.8L CAT 3406E 5DS Borg Warner 175963 Turbo P5 Nathan Horns Johnson Matthey 600 HP DPF 2017 CA registered emissions legal
More Milwaukee V28 Tools than Tim Allen has!
Remember, nozzle size matters at the pump
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Fuel pump....how much pressure?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 05:48 PM

I would also look at the MAP sensor line comming from the y-pipe, make sure it's not leaking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode