Tans Question - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by rydindirty, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 656 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Tans Question

I have 97 F250 PSD with a 5 speed. I was changing the oil the other day and noticed the nut that holds the yoke to the back of the trans had back itself off of the shaft. I brought it to my mechaninc, cause i didnt have a socket big enough to put it back on, and he check everything over and replace the seal, but said he couldnt garuntee that it would stay. Well it didnt and has backed off again.

I called the dealer to see if they had the part and said it will take a week. Well, I have to leave for Biloxi on sunday and cant postpone the trip, because i am in the air force.

question is, can i use locktight to hold for a couple of weeks until i get back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 01:43 AM

Yes you should use locktite on that nut anyway when assembling it.Make sure you pay attention to that seal cause if it walks around on you and leaks you will overheat and blow the rear end.

Wife's 99 dually WHAT A NIGHTMARE.Sold it to my BIL and the rear exploded a week latter 2900 bucks not my money I sold it to you partner your problem now.She snapped a ear off the yoke and dropped the rear axle hauling hay.Took a week of getting the wrong parts then the right parts.Some how the seal leaked we never noticed and the BIL got the SH&%^ end of the stick.

Mike
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for that. I had it fixed today and all seems to be good. (knock on wood).

On another note....I got straight piped today! Hooray!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 05:19 AM
RSP
Rockin-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainers
Yes you should use locktite on that nut anyway when assembling it.Make sure you pay attention to that seal cause if it walks around on you and leaks you will overheat and blow the rear end.

Wife's 99 dually WHAT A NIGHTMARE.Sold it to my BIL and the rear exploded a week latter 2900 bucks not my money I sold it to you partner your problem now.She snapped a ear off the yoke and dropped the rear axle hauling hay.Took a week of getting the wrong parts then the right parts.Some how the seal leaked we never noticed and the BIL got the SH&%^ end of the stick.

Mike
Can I ask how in the world a Transmission seal made your rear end go out?

97 F350 PSD Crew Cab 4X4 Almost Stock :umno:
79 F250 CTD Super Cab 4X4 Almost Stock
79 F150 Reg Cab 4X4 Whimpy 512 CI BigBlock Some day it will be a CTD too
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 05:48 AM

Dugh I seen yoke and seal and missed the trans part.My problem was on the other end of the driveline.

I hope you would have corrected me if you caught that part if I was wrong in my recommendation to this member.

Where is the big fat SORRY smiley.

Mike
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 06:20 PM

Good to hear it's fixed already, but I thought I'd post this anyway. My trans nut backed off just like yours last summer. I called up my FIL to see if he could look to see what his Ford shop manual says. He told me it says that whenever that nut is taken off, it HAS to be replaced w/ a new one. I don't know why, but that's what the manual says. Just for good measure I dabbed a little silicone sealant on the threads just so it wouldn't back off again. I keep an eye on it when I'm changing oil and it's fine so far.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Ya thanks for that! the mechanic said the same thing. That the nut is shaped like and egg so when you tighten down it keeps it from backing off. So Far So Good. I had to drive to Biloxi, 350miles and it hasnt backed off yet so I should be good until i can get the new one from the dealer.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 04:53 AM

Just to make my end right on the sugestion on the locktite.I spoke to a very good friend of mine who works on vehicles all day long every day and he said you can't hurt it locktite'n it and He would have if he had done the work.Maybe not the red type but the blue.

Sorry for the confusion before.Like I said above.I read between the lines and didn't see it was the yoke off the tranny.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode