Think the starter's on it's way out... - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Audiomechanic, this thread has received 14 replies and been viewed 1276 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Think the starter's on it's way out...

Hey guys! Been a while! Bought a bike and was obsessed about that for a while but now the trucks a dyin.

Here's the problem: The truck cranks real slow. Batteries you say? Yea, that's what I thought too. Replaced 'em both. Still slow and getting slower by the start. I went to go get food a few minutes ago and it almost wouldn't start. My question is this: if the starter is on it's way out, will it give symptopms of cranking slower and slower, or will it just die?

Also, if it is the starter, I remember hearing a while back about an aftermarket starter that's about half the size of the stock one, but will spin the motor over like nobodies business. Can't remember how much though.

Well, that's my story. I'll ride my bike as much as I can until this is fixed but it's gonna rain next couple of days. This is going to get interesting.

Thank you for reading!!!

-Shane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiomechanic
Hey guys! Been a while! Bought a bike and was obsessed about that for a while but now the trucks a dyin.

Here's the problem: The truck cranks real slow. Batteries you say? Yea, that's what I thought too. Replaced 'em both. Still slow and getting slower by the start. I went to go get food a few minutes ago and it almost wouldn't start. My question is this: if the starter is on it's way out, will it give symptopms of cranking slower and slower, or will it just die?

Also, if it is the starter, I remember hearing a while back about an aftermarket starter that's about half the size of the stock one, but will spin the motor over like nobodies business. Can't remember how much though.

Well, that's my story. I'll ride my bike as much as I can until this is fixed but it's gonna rain next couple of days. This is going to get interesting.

Thank you for reading!!!

-Shane
You need to make sure your alternater isn't undercharging the batteries. After that is checked and you still want a starter. I recommend the Nippon Denso Higher Torque starter than can be had for about $150 on Ebay from DBelectrical. It will spin your motor over like a monster. It isn't samller though, it is larger in size but still fits.

Hammer
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 03:35 AM

Hey Audio! God to see you around.

Ditto on what Hammer said about the altenator. Also while you're at it, verify that the glow plugs and all related items are working correctly. a couple years ago I had multiple GP's in various stages of bad. Just like yours, my truck cranked over slower and slower until one day it wouldn't start at all.

About the starter you asked about. I think you are thinking of the one for the SuperDuties that will fit our OBS trucks. I looked into going that route if mine ever dies. But I've read that they don't last as long as ours and ours are built better. So either way they both have pros & cons.

As far as symptoms of an sick starter.... every one that's gone bad on me just went bad w/ no warning. Starts fine one minute and the next minute all I got was click, click, click, nothing. A good whak w/ a hammer to knock off all the carbon will usually let it start a few more times though.

Good luck
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 04:56 AM
Ol Dirt Contractor

What Hammer said. I've bought a couple of DB's HT starters on E-Bay and they do the job.:Thumbup:

I was Anti-Obama before it was cool!
Leno: ‘Remember the Old Days When Obama’s Biggest Embarrassment Was Joe Biden'

Ernie Hasse+ Bill Gaither America Medley
XCR 800cc Polaris Triple with Turbo, Nitrous & RMI
96 F250 7.3 Hypermax Stage III’s, H2 for now, Wide Open Performance long block. Spearco Intercooler 4” downpipe Suncoast Tranny, Terminator Oil
Newest--2015 Black VW Golf SportWagen TDI DSG Nav Roof 18" Avignon's Valentine One
Early 99 F250 SD 7.3 almost stock for now
87 Turbo Intercooled T-Bird stock
98 379 Pete 15.8L CAT 3406E 5DS Borg Warner 175963 Turbo P5 Nathan Horns Johnson Matthey 600 HP DPF 2017 CA registered emissions legal
More Milwaukee V28 Tools than Tim Allen has!
Remember, nozzle size matters at the pump
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer69
You need to make sure your alternater isn't undercharging the batteries. After that is checked and you still want a starter. I recommend the Nippon Denso Higher Torque starter than can be had for about $150 on Ebay from DBelectrical. It will spin your motor over like a monster. It isn't samller though, it is larger in size but still fits.

Hammer
I see, so the starter won't slow down and then die, it'll just die. Perhaps I should check the glow plugs and the alternator. Is there any particular fasion in which I check the alternator to see if it's undercharging the bats? Maybe, start the truck, remove the bat terminals and check voltage on the terminals from the alternator? Seems like the batteries are fine though cause before I replaced them, my headlights and interior lights would dim to almost nothing when the engine cranked, now they stay pretty bright which suggests to me that the batteries aren't putting out their limit when trying to start the truck.

About the glow plugs that MeanGreen (WHAT'S UP BUDDY?!?!?!?! :HappyMugs ) suggested, how do I check 'em? I'm sure some are bad because I've had the truck over 3 years and put about 50,000 miles on her and haven't touched the glow plugs or the relay ever. That's probably my issue but I want to be sure.

Thanks for the replies guys!!! Yall are life safers! TDG ROCKS! :grd
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 03:40 PM
Ol Dirt Contractor

The starter will usually slow down, crank slower before it dies and that's the warning. If it's not the batterys/terminals you generally should get ready to find a starter. It's about half the money to find one online than walking in to the dealer.. :bling: :bling: :bling: :uhoh2:

I was Anti-Obama before it was cool!
Leno: ‘Remember the Old Days When Obama’s Biggest Embarrassment Was Joe Biden'

Ernie Hasse+ Bill Gaither America Medley
XCR 800cc Polaris Triple with Turbo, Nitrous & RMI
96 F250 7.3 Hypermax Stage III’s, H2 for now, Wide Open Performance long block. Spearco Intercooler 4” downpipe Suncoast Tranny, Terminator Oil
Newest--2015 Black VW Golf SportWagen TDI DSG Nav Roof 18" Avignon's Valentine One
Early 99 F250 SD 7.3 almost stock for now
87 Turbo Intercooled T-Bird stock
98 379 Pete 15.8L CAT 3406E 5DS Borg Warner 175963 Turbo P5 Nathan Horns Johnson Matthey 600 HP DPF 2017 CA registered emissions legal
More Milwaukee V28 Tools than Tim Allen has!
Remember, nozzle size matters at the pump
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

ah HA! So it does slow down. Mine sounds like it only has a handful of cranks left in it.

I'll start checking eBay for a starter and check out that eBay store that was recommended. I'd like to go with aftermarket if I can help it unless the stock starter truely is better. This stinks. I'm broke and I have to renew my flood insurance and now this. Stupid rain. Anyone want to buy a trumpet? :deal:
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

just purchased the Nippon-Denso starter from DP Electrical on eBay. We'll see what happens from here. I don't think the truck has more than 5 more starts in her. She's barely crankin now. She sounds like she's in pain until she fires up. My heart ACHES!

I'll have to borrow a friend's car to get to work tomorrow. Other than that, I'll ride the bike. Thank you, guys for the input!!!!!

Also, any tricks to replacing this thing or is it pretty straight forward? I'll be doing it with the truck on a lift so at least it'll be above my head for better visability.

Thanks again, fellas! Ya'll have a nice one!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 06:46 PM

youll probley need a 2 foot extention and after that youll whant to pull it out straight
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiomechanic
just purchased the Nippon-Denso starter from DP Electrical on eBay. We'll see what happens from here. I don't think the truck has more than 5 more starts in her. She's barely crankin now. She sounds like she's in pain until she fires up. My heart ACHES!

I'll have to borrow a friend's car to get to work tomorrow. Other than that, I'll ride the bike. Thank you, guys for the input!!!!!

Also, any tricks to replacing this thing or is it pretty straight forward? I'll be doing it with the truck on a lift so at least it'll be above my head for better visability.

Thanks again, fellas! Ya'll have a nice one!
https://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...ead.php?t=5895 here is a whole starter replacement step by step written by yours truely

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode