Fuel Crossover Mod - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by imported_BigGreen, this thread has received 19 replies and been viewed 1824 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Fuel Crossover Mod

I've been following a thread that drifted into disscussion of this mod. I'm very interested in finding out more info on it. What are teh pros/cons of doing this mod. Can it be applied to the OBS trucks or is it just for the SuperDutys?

Is it a simple matter of connecting the fuel rails together in the same fashion as connecting the oil rails together or is it more involved than that? I thought I understood the mod in the other thread, but then I saw a diagram that showed a new aeromotive regulator and more lins being routed. I'm not quite sure I understand as I once had.

So lets here from everyone that's done it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 03:12 PM

From what I understand the OBS does not need the mod.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 07:25 PM

Hey big green here's the low-down...the Super Duty trucks have a dead head fuel system just like the oil system...why is another story...who knows the mind of Ford...:shrug:

The gist of it is to tie the two fuel rails together...the # 6 & 8 injectors get slightly starved for fuel due to their firing sequence and the air that is entrained in the fuel...hence the cackle or the ball peen hammer sound against iron, the noise it makes. By tying the two head together the fuel rail is always full since it acts like accumalator and air has a chance to be reduced by having this path (my speculation ok not necessarily right... )

I will attempt to add more diagrams up if they are not to large to attach....oh the Aeromotive regulator is a mod to adj. the FP but since I have the FPR shimmed up already I don't care to spend the money on it....... I need a FTVB for the tranny.....he-he-he......

Any more I can confuse yah w/ drop a line.. er ah mean help...yeah...and no I have not gotten to it yet....have major living room project in progress....due to file limit I attached what I could that may help....

C-man
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	back_inject.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	5073   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel_diag.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	5074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel_rail_plug.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	5075  
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 07:29 PM

more photos.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image008.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	5076   Click image for larger version

Name:	image009.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	5077  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 07:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to moose99psd
ive got it and it was a great mod i LOVE it makes the truck quiet down a little bit and runs much more smooth never heard of it called the fuel crossover mod b4 tho
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 07:38 PM
4cstr

I'm not sure that you can just tie the fuel rails together. I know that Dennis at ITP has come up with the regulated return kit that does this, but maintains fuel pressure and returns the fuel from the heads to the tank. I have this kit sitting on my shelf at home waiting to install.

...on edit...are you talking tieing the fuel rails together, or the high oil pressure rails together. Tying the high pressure oil rails together is the HX mod, and ITP carries those as well.

Dave
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 07:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to moose99psd
dave u dont have the kit on yet? that itp kit is the one i have easy install great quility parts
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cstr
I'm not sure that you can just tie the fuel rails together. I know that Dennis at ITP has come up with the regulated return kit that does this, but maintains fuel pressure and returns the fuel from the heads to the tank. I have this kit sitting on my shelf at home waiting to install.

...on edit...are you talking tieing the fuel rails together, or the high oil pressure rails together. Tying the high pressure oil rails together is the HX mod, and ITP carries those as well.

Dave
I've already done the Hx..mod it's a great mod. No I'm am speaking of tying the #1 test port on the pass. side to the #8 port on the driver's side.

Texas Town Car did this mod w/ an accumalator and w/o one and had great success w/ it. It is the same principle as the Hx for the oil mod.

My plan is to get-r-dun after the living room project, to late to wean wife from HGTV...:roflmao: so I will report the results in about 3 weeks or so.......

The bottom line for is that the regulated fuel mod, by coming off the rear end of the heads by the firewall and tying to a Aeromotive regulator is more than I can presently afford, also why all that bother if another alternative is possible, I've got the FPR running at 68psi already so in theory it should be a simple mod, and a low cost one at that......my way of thinking outtah the box when budget is tight......

C-man
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 08:19 PM
4cstr

Oh...icic. I remember that discussion many many years ago on a site far far away from here. between TT and Hutch if I remember correctly. I thought Hutch and TT disagreed on the accumulator...but again memory is fuzzy.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not all that well versed on our fuel system...but if you just tie the fuel rails together...without some sort of an escape route...how does that help? I mean...you have two fuel rails...and for argument sake have 60psi fuel going down each of them. If you have two streams at 60psi and simply tie them together...aren't you going to have issues where they meet? I guess thats why I thought Hutch went with the regulated return...the fuel runs from one fuel rail...to the other...then to the return line back to the tank.

But I would love to hear of your results.

Moose...just haven't had time to get it installed yet. Been busier than a 3-legged dog in a town full of fire hydrants.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cstr
Oh...icic. I remember that discussion many many years ago on a site far far away from here. between TT and Hutch if I remember correctly. I thought Hutch and TT disagreed on the accumulator...but again memory is fuzzy.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not all that well versed on our fuel system...but if you just tie the fuel rails together...without some sort of an escape route...how does that help? I mean...you have two fuel rails...and for argument sake have 60psi fuel going down each of them. If you have two streams at 60psi and simply tie them together...aren't you going to have issues where they meet? I guess thats why I thought Hutch went with the regulated return...the fuel runs from one fuel rail...to the other...then to the return line back to the tank.

But I would love to hear of your results.

Moose...just haven't had time to get it installed yet. Been busier than a 3-legged dog in a town full of fire hydrants.
Yep, I see your point about the full flow return and am sure that it may be the best way to go. In theory from what I've read, the Fx line acts like accumalator and the #6/8 inj. will have full fuel fed from both ends and no dead head spot. But hey I'm a shade tree guy....TT used Bently-Nevada gear to get all the trace signals and I'm taking his word. Hey for a few bucks it can't hurt and will gladly post results..the good...and the bad....ugly is already driving....he--he...

C-man

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode