Is Bigger Exhaust not always better? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Gee, this thread has received 14 replies and been viewed 1240 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Gee

Is Bigger Exhaust not always better?

I'm at the stage to pick up an aftermarket exhaust for my 2000 PSD,but wondering if going to a complete 5" exhaust system will kill some low end grunt or spooling time?
I'm trying to get louder turbo sound from my 7.3 similar to that of the newer 6.0 diesels.Was gonna try a 4" exhaust deleting the muffler til I read about it a few threads down.
What's the quietest and biggest exhaust system(or muffler)on the market today that still allows the most turbo spooling sound to be heard?
There's a video clip on this site of a 6.0 w/aftermarket exhaust that's music to my ears!!!! Makes me wish I could download it and upload onto my exhaust!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 12:49 PM

I'm going with the 4 inch and aeroturbine muffler you'r not ever gonna get the 7.3 to sound like the 6.0 though

: :

'00 cc f 350 a few mods, and a bts tranny.

Wet concrete, Hot Asphalt And Life Wait for no one
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 01:50 PM
Destroked

Yeah...you will never get the sound of a VV turbo out of your 7.3. If you were to put a BB turbo on you will get more whistle through the intake but thats about it.

'04.5 Chevy 2500HD LLY,Alli, CC, SB, 4x4, Sleeved, Braced, FASS, 4" SS Silverline exh, EGR Blocker, all thanks to MA, EFI Live tuning by me with Edge CTS switching DSP5 tunes, 68mm Danville turbo, ARP Studs with "C" gaskets, Transgo Jr., 20x9 Diamo Karat 8's wrapped in Terra Grapplers, Superlift AAL in rear, Ride Rite Air Bags, some stainless........yeah it shines.

2002 VW Jetta GLS TDI, auto, 18x8 ASA AR3 wheels with Goodyear Eagle GT's
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 02:05 PM

:agreed: Ya what they said. I have a full 4" exhaust on mine (no cat and a muffler that a kid could stick his arm through) and I just put on a Garrett BB turbo. I have an awesome whistle from the intake side (like a jet engine) but still have the same exhaust sound. The only way that I've heard that you can get that sweet whistle out the tail pipe is to buy a 6.0.

Good luck and welcome to the sickness.:HappyMugs

PS and I'm very happy with my 4"

Sean

2006 XLT 6.0, 72,000 miles. First owner. Build date 10/05, CC,LB,3.73LS,SRW,ISSPRO Pyro-Boost-Trans on the APillar,ARP Studs,Stock HG's,ELITE SCT Tadd's Tunes,Sinister SCT,Innovative tunes,EGR delete,4" turbo back dual exhst, zoodad, ccv mod, Coolant bypass filter, Cage leveling kit,upfitter high idle, running Amsoil 3000 with Archoil, 6.4 banjo's, Blue spring, 03 Turbo w/ 03 pedestal.
Issues: Rear main seal at 1'700 mls. EGR valve, EGR cooler and Oil cooler @ about 43k, Stock Head Gaskets @55k, Black Onyx HG's @72k.
https://www.thedieselgarage.com/galle...028_393362.jpg

Sean H
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 02:39 PM
4cstr

Basically what everybody else said. Without some sort of performance improvements...chip, injectors, etc...a 5" turbo back will kill some low end and won't make a difference for the whistle. The VV turbo of the 6 oh just rocks and can't be transplanted onto the 7.3L. If you open up the intake and the exhaust...you will get much more whistle than you are now. Just don't look for the jet engine whine...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Gee
Threadstarter

I think I'm in denial guys........Is there an Turboholics Anonamous Assc. to join,lol!
Never thought this Diesel stuff would be so addicting!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 04:32 PM

Ha!!! if you think it's bad now, just wait till after you make the first pass down the track!! :smoke: :Thumbup:

'00 cc f 350 a few mods, and a bts tranny.

Wet concrete, Hot Asphalt And Life Wait for no one
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee
I'm at the stage to pick up an aftermarket exhaust for my 2000 PSD,but wondering if going to a complete 5" exhaust system will kill some low end grunt or spooling time?
I'm trying to get louder turbo sound from my 7.3 similar to that of the newer 6.0 diesels.Was gonna try a 4" exhaust deleting the muffler til I read about it a few threads down.
What's the quietest and biggest exhaust system(or muffler)on the market today that still allows the most turbo spooling sound to be heard?
There's a video clip on this site of a 6.0 w/aftermarket exhaust that's music to my ears!!!! Makes me wish I could download it and upload onto my exhaust!!
I'm not trying to be a smartass when I say this...I think the 5" exhaust systems put on the market are more for posers than players. A poser is somebody who thinks it's cool to give an illusion of being fast. A player is one who cool because he IS fast. I'd rather be a player than a poser. Hence, no five inch exhaust in my future.

As far as the sound, I recommend a BB turbo and an aeroturbine in place of the muffler to get you the closest.

Hammer
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer69
I'm not trying sto be a smartass when I say this...I think the 5" exhaust sytems put on the market are more for posers than players. A poser is somebody who thinks it's cool to give illusion of being fast. A player is one who cool becuase he IS fast. I'd rather be a player than a poser. Hence, no five inch exhaust in my future.

As far as the sound, I recommend a BB turbo and an aeroturbine in place of the muffler to get you the closest.

Hammer
Hey, I resemble that remark!

Actually, the day I needed to get my mods done, Tymar ran out of 4" exhaust. Dale gave me a great deal on the 5". I had already done the intake (which was a noticeable improvement over stock), and I did the downpipe and exhaust on the same day, so I'll never know if I gave up some bottom end. I do know that it'll spin the duals on dry pavement (open rearend), so that is plenty of torque for me. At Dyno Day, it did seem to have more peak HP (250) than comparable torque trucks (431), or lower torque for comparable HP.

BTW, the biggest change in audible whistle was the Tymar intake. The exhaust did not change the sound as much, but made it noticably "throatier", with a lower pitch.

On my street cars, I definitely like the quieter sleeper approach. 22 years ago (when there weren't nearly as many fast street cars), my 11 second street Vega had turbo mufflers and was quiter than most 15 second cars. That was before the flowmaster-type mufflers, so most people were running glasspacks.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

ISSPRO Engineering Manager

1995 F350 PSD Crew Cab Dually, 271k miles
10 ISSPRO Prototype Performax™ gauges in Pillar & Overhead pods & sitting on dash, Tymar Intake, Gutted EBPV, Tymar 3x4" downpipe, Tymar 5" exhaust, Cat's hiding in the shed, Baby Swamps, Swamps tunes, Tricumulator springs and Accumulator Valve, Tru-Cool 4590 Trans Cooler, Lock-Right Locker
1998 S&S 9.5' slide-in camper
32' enclosed tag trailer with 2 drag cars (73 Vega Super-Gas & 74 Vega ET Super-Pro)
1992 GMC Typhoon, 1973 Chevy Blazer with Pontiac 400, 1973 Trans-Am 455
2000 VW Jetta TDI - Kerma tune, Der Chimera Stage II Clutch
NRA member and certified firearms instructor, GOA Life member, IDPA member
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 07:34 PM

I have a 5" stytem from shopdiesel, I got it 3 years ago, and it about the same sound level as stock, I wanted a quiet exhaust with low egts. But now with the H2E Iam going to get a 4" exhaust, hopefully it will be just as quiet.

07 3500 5.9 QC LB AT 4x4 Edge Additude w/hot unlock S&B intake 5" Magnaflow exhaust
Trucks Sold
93 F250 7.3 Turbo SC LB 5 Speed 4x4 XLT Stock
2006 F350 6.0 CC LB AT 4x4 King Ranch SCT etc
2003 F350 7.3 SC LB AT 4x4 XLT H2E and more
1993 F250 7.3 LB IDI 2wd 5 speed XL Pump turned up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode