Air Filter Restriction Minder - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Diesel Dog, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 1220 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Air Filter Restriction Minder

Never had one that worked, but I've discovered WOT on my 120 tune will suck that baby all the way into the red.

Open air tymar comming up..........:Thumbup:

So at least they do work, even if not for what it was intended!!

'00 cc f 350 a few mods, and a bts tranny.

Wet concrete, Hot Asphalt And Life Wait for no one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 01:11 AM
Bouncer

Those things are useless on a truck IMO. It is one thing to need them on machinery working in hugh dust applications and you need to know immediately when to change the filters. Although on a truck when most people change by mileage, they are just not needed. Not to mention like you said, most of them do not even work.

Bill
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 04:01 AM

:agreed: they dont work....... the spring inside the minder is calabrated in inch pounds. every time you start your truck it gets hot,you drive somewere turn truck off it cools down. after a few times of this the spring takes a set. every one i have checked took more vacume to close into the red. :evil:
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 06:11 AM

I noticed mine weren't accurate without an explanation of why. We have these giant dragon fly type bugs in May called lake flys (short for fish food) as well as moths all summer. All you need to do is drive right before dark to get a mess of them stuck in the filter. After dark it's all clear and you don't see them. The "minder" doesn't move. It says never mind to them, ignoring a hat full of crispy bugs as big as your thumb.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 01:10 AM

Here is a story, truck pulls in shop customer says its using oil but no leaks,runs ok. plug the diagnostic machine in no codes, check the filter bowl for signs of oil in fuel looks good. look at exhaust and tubo for signs of oil nothing. so i look at the filter minder it looks ok still in the yellow. pull the air filter box top off and holy s*** , the filter was a nightmere bugs, leaves,dirt,mud yes thier was actually mud stuck to the under side of the pleates,paper and some how a brown paper bag???? . now i look down the intake tube at the turbo and ccv tube and both are coverd in an oily mess. the air filter was so pluged the engine was pulling air from the ccv tube,along with some oil. so for fun and to learn i put it back together. start the truck and here a vacume leak look around and it was coming from the oil dipstick tube :roflmao: hard to beleave it but true! it did run rough but it ran. after i kleend the air box and installed a new filter i tell the customer NEVER EVER TRUST THAT CRAPY FILTER MINDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 01:38 AM

I saw a shop towel once and some mud bees, but nothing like that. :roflmao: Makes sense, the open air elements flow more and suck more oil in with the air. Sounds like Christine...cut off it's air flow and it makes it's own air inlet. :evil:
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 08:24 AM

I had a restriction minder on my Tymar intake(just to see how it does). It seemed to be worthless. That filter is so big that only if you where to shovel mud on to it may show something on the gauge. I think that you just don't need it. All you need to do is to look at the filter once in a while or after you've been mudding or gone threw allot of dust. just use comman sense.:Thumbup:

2006 XLT 6.0, 72,000 miles. First owner. Build date 10/05, CC,LB,3.73LS,SRW,ISSPRO Pyro-Boost-Trans on the APillar,ARP Studs,Stock HG's,ELITE SCT Tadd's Tunes,Sinister SCT,Innovative tunes,EGR delete,4" turbo back dual exhst, zoodad, ccv mod, Coolant bypass filter, Cage leveling kit,upfitter high idle, running Amsoil 3000 with Archoil, 6.4 banjo's, Blue spring, 03 Turbo w/ 03 pedestal.
Issues: Rear main seal at 1'700 mls. EGR valve, EGR cooler and Oil cooler @ about 43k, Stock Head Gaskets @55k, Black Onyx HG's @72k.
https://www.thedieselgarage.com/galle...028_393362.jpg

Sean H

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode