fuel bowl dirt - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by jaschakoz, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 2580 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

fuel bowl dirt

I took out my fuel filter and it is filthy in the bowl, any idea how to clean it? Plus the drain is very slow, is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 04:33 PM

I just pull the filter & flush the bowl with NAPA carb cleaner. Sometimes I fill the bowl 1/2 way full of carb cleaner and let it sit for a while & then drain it into a juice bottle, wipe the inside of the bowl with a rag & then flush again with carb cleaner.

Normally I use 2 can's of carb cleaner & do it once or twice a year.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 05:14 PM
BJS

I just took the standpipe out of mine and cleaned a little bit off the bottom while I had it out replacing the fuel pump.

95 F350 Centurion Conversion Bronco (Crew Cab SRW) 4X4 4.10, Isspro Performax Boost, Pyro, & trans temp on the A-pillar, BDP Stage 1 injectors, Open air intake, Dpp Downpipe, Self built E4OD with parts from Racer-X, Tony Wildman Chip, Early '99 Intercooler.

Destin FL Vacation Houses 1 block from the beach
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 02:58 AM

your drain is probably slow because of the dirt around the drain hole. if you slide a hose over the drain pipe under the truck and blow backwards with some low air pressure it will help clear the line to drain. then you can flush the dirt out with carb cleaner or whatever you like. you need to use EXTREME CAUTION if you remove the stand pipe to clean!!!!!!! any dirt sand or debris that falls into the stand pipe hole will go strait to the injectors. all the dirt & debris thats in your filter bowl ran threw your pump????????????. sounds like you need a pre pump filter? all my trucks have a pre pump filter so i never see a bowl that dirty. plus my fuel pumps last alot longer. :Thumbup: if you need help or wont to know about a pre pump filter i can hook you up,pm me.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel71
your drain is probably slow because of the dirt around the drain hole. if you slide a hose over the drain pipe under the truck and blow backwards with some low air pressure it will help clear the line to drain. then you can flush the dirt out with carb cleaner or whatever you like. you need to use EXTREME CAUTION if you remove the stand pipe to clean!!!!!!! any dirt sand or debris that falls into the stand pipe hole will go strait to the injectors. all the dirt & debris thats in your filter bowl ran threw your pump????????????. sounds like you need a pre pump filter? all my trucks have a pre pump filter so i never see a bowl that dirty. plus my fuel pumps last alot longer. :Thumbup: if you need help or wont to know about a pre pump filter i can hook you up,pm me.
I don't see a truck in your sig. If you do go to remove the standpipe, the threads are left hand on older trucks like mine.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 05:22 AM

My personal truck is a 2004 f-350 dully with a 6.0 power stroke. I am a diesel tech,i work on 7.3s and 6.0s every day. yes the threades are left hand, good point giantpowerstrokediesels. :Thumbup: i only said this because debris in the fuel that you can not see will end up in an injector.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

where do you install the prepump fillter and what filter do I use. thanks
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 02:26 AM

I didnt see what year your truck was? if its a 94-97 you have a 2 stage mecanical pump so the filter can go anywhere on the inlet line before the pump. i like to put them under the drivers side fram rail,up against the frame out of harms way. if its a 98-2003 you have a singal stage electric pump so the filter will go just behind the pump,on the inlet side of the pump. this will help ether pump last longer,keep the bigger debris out of the filter bowl and let your origanal filter last longer. there are alot of choices for a filter. if you dont mind doing some extra cleening get a cleenable one like system 1-russel-spectre. or you can use a disposable one and change it. i use a disposable one with 3/8 barbed ends and change them every 3,000 miles. i cant remember the part #.:evil: anyway it is a clear filter so its easy to see all the s*** it stops. they are a 14 micron filter, most of the cleenable ones are 30-35 microns. remember a finer micron rating filter will plugup faster and cause a restriction in the fuel system. :Thumbup:
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 03:45 AM

Amazing how much dirt will end up in fuel bowls or filters, especially considering the stations have filters on the pump. If they didn't make those standpipes out of plastic they wouldn't be so easy to snap off by turning the wrong way.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantpowerstrokediesels
Amazing how much dirt will end up in fuel bowls or filters, especially considering the stations have filters on the pump. If they didn't make those standpipes out of plastic they wouldn't be so easy to snap off by turning the wrong way.
:agreed: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: I snaped off my first one and got a bloody nuckel from it :roflmao: lesson learned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode