super duty van rv build up for towing. 25,000lbs - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by mrp669, this thread has received 2 replies and been viewed 927 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

super duty van rv build up for towing. 25,000lbs

I just bought a 1997 e450 superduty 32ft rv and plan on towing with it at 25k gross weight. I have added gauges, 02 van turbo, bellowed up pipes, 3 in intakes, 4 inch exhaust, e-fuel and bowl delete, and 120v idm.

1)I am trying to decide between a ww2 or rr to help get my bottom back from the bigger turbo swap. I have read that the WW2 was better than the rr6/6 in the van turbo in the lower rpms spool up but haven't seen anything bout the rr4/4...other than: Per Clay the 4/4 is a smidge quieter and gives a smidge more boost vs 6/6". How much do the wheels weigh? I've seen ww2 is 5.5027 oz or 13% lighter than oem.

2)I don't want to do the 08+ front clip so I am planning an a2w intercooler to combat compressor heat but haven't found a big enough heat exchanger yet that makes me happy, so I probably will end up with 2 in series maybe 3. I would like one to be the size of the radiator but only 1 inch thick, but I think I might be dreaming on that one.

3)I AM swapping my edge ez/banks trans command(both previous owner) for a power hungry hydra as of now...

4)I'm pretty sure I have ab injectors (from my research and ill pull a valve cover soon to confirm). ad's only add 5cc of fuel so thats pointless. I am thinking about swapping to ac's-160/0 or even 160/30. I've also read stock nozzles are better for towing due to better atomization. Are ac's noticeably louder than aa's?

5)This brings me to med/big oil. I want as much down low as possible to get the rigs weight going. Is there such a thing as too much hpop for this combo? I dont see anybody talking about doubles on stock injectors other than loping/wandering idle and ipr duty cycle issues with 2 iprs so I think that is out. Did the overdrive ever get an ok for daily driving? srp1.1 have had some catastrophic failures which leaves terminator my first choice as of now.

6)In the spring I am considering a f-series sd pcm and wiring(mat sensor input) and 4r100 swap when I do a 4x4 conversion.
A)what is the best year/model to get the pcm from?
B)Are there other supply sources besides ujointoffroad.com for the 4x4 brackets etc.?

Is there any positive suggestions or anything missing from my list that will help with getting the weight rolling and keep egts in check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I got the rr2-4/4 wheel today and it weighs 3.526 ounces or 101.06 grams. That's almost 2 ounces lighter than the ww2-5/5 which I've seen weighs 5.5027 ounces. That seems a lot to me since they are both billet!

I am back to considering BO and ad's vs t500 and 160/30's.
I have 2 quotes from joey in 2007"What I noticed in his original post, is that he is looking for towing power, which is torque. That's one of the biggest advantages of Big Oil(anybodys system)." IIRC this was about BO and ad's vs 17* and ac's for towing.
and the second quote is "3000 psi is not enough pressure for any injector currently on the market"
and another unknown quote "more hpop volume results in better throttle response, better atomization, and if you can control your right foot, better fuel mileage."
This makes sense to me. BO helps increase the efficiency of the burn by increasing available high pressure oil across the rpm range, especially lower rpms where I feel it would benefit me more. The increased pressures result in better fuel injection pressures resulting in better fuel atomization resulting in a better burn and more towing power unleashed. where my understanding is 160's need 30% nozzles to get the fuel out in the same amount of time-this would lead to less fuel atomization and less fuel burn resulting in smoke and worse mpg's for the same amount of towing power. What I mean by towing power is useable power climbing an extended steep grade at 25,000 pounds.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

bump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode