OBS 2 Problems 2 diff Trucks - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Liftedpsd, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 826 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

OBS 2 Problems 2 diff Trucks

My buddy has 2 1996 f-250's, one is an auto SRW long bed ext. cab, the other is a 1996 f-250 with a work body dually...THe SRW gets VERY bad fuel mileage,10mpg on a good day. The driver of it says when he puts it in reverse without pushing the throttle it acts like your pushing the throttle and is loading up on fuel...Also says he sometimes smell raw diesel fuel. I couldnt find any leaks on it. What can i do to help him fix his problem...The other truck is a standard and it wont get out of its own way with a 50mph tail wind..this thing has absolutely no power..Ne ideas? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 12:20 AM
BJS

clean the screen in the FPR.

Remove the FPR from the driver's side of the fuel bowl there will be a screen where the back of the FPR returns to the fuel bowl clean it off. be very careful not to drop it into the valley. As the injector o-rings degrade this catches the pieces.

The raw diesel smell seems to indicate the fuel pump leaking from the weepholes but typically you see a small puddle or collection in the valley but it is possible that it can leak down into the engine. To check read on for fuel pressure testing.

After you do the above on both trucks check the fuel pressure while at idle & under load. The stock trim will put the fuel pressure around 40-50 psi with notable pulsations at idle due to the mechanical fuel pump. When at higher rpm under load the pressure should stabilize but not drop below 40psi, ideally higher.

Double check the typical things such as fuel filter and last oil change.

If these are work trucks that might not have been taken the best care of then there could be a whole host of likely culprets. Starting with clogged air filters, dusted engines from poor factory air box seals, dirty oil&fuel damaging injectors.

95 F350 Centurion Conversion Bronco (Crew Cab SRW) 4X4 4.10, Isspro Performax Boost, Pyro, & trans temp on the A-pillar, BDP Stage 1 injectors, Open air intake, Dpp Downpipe, Self built E4OD with parts from Racer-X, Tony Wildman Chip, Early '99 Intercooler.

Destin FL Vacation Houses 1 block from the beach
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

ya they are work trucks but one is in a lawn business(this one just pulls a trailer every once and a while) and one is in roofing...so its not really in dusty conditions MUCH...I will check those things and ill PM you, you seem to know a whole lot more than me..THanks a lot

MIKE
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 02:32 AM

If you can find it, Buy Primrose 405C. It will take the Black(asphaltine) off the screen completely. I gained 3.5MPG when I started using it. I was getting barely 11.

Let me know if you cant find it. I can get it locally. Its Very good stuff with ALOT of data and testing behind it. One of the biggest construction companies in the world uses it in all there diesels.
Jerod
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

ok thanks for the info, ill try that out and see if that works....
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 03:02 AM

on the truck that has no power.try unpluging the EBPV.it the plug under the turbo front right.2 wire plug it won't hurt nothing unpluging it to see if it makes a diffence.

what does the fuel filters look like?little black peices in it?how long was their last oil change?

terry
HIS AND HERS PSD!
HIS: 97,F250,RC,4X4
POWER BY:BDP,BTS,TDP,RSP,CTP
12.975 @ 103.34
12.88 @ 104.46
all on #2 only
RDRCM #2

HER'S: 97,F-250,KC,4x4
432 hp/ 851 tq
RDRCM #9
the sleeper's
SLAPS vice president
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

ill check into that also..gosh u guys are good at finding answers(not sure if they work yet but ill try!) thanks again! MIKE
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

jerod what exactly is that product you told me to get? do you put it in your fuel? thanks
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 05:54 AM

do you have a way to run diagnostic test on these trucks might save you alot of time and money? try the things posted above and check all the basic matinance stuff.:Thumbup:
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 01:00 AM

Yes the stuff is a fuel additive. None better.
Let me know if you cant find it, I can get it locally.
Jerod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode