no start sometimes - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Red97fordf250, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 959 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

no start sometimes

Hey guys!I've been having problems with my 97 powerstroke. I had it die a couple of weeks ago on my way from work. I replaced the fuel pump(was bubbling out of the top, looked bad). That seemed to fix it, and then a couple days after that,it died when i was leaving for work.I had let it run a little(65 degrees out,new glow plug relay a couple of months ago) and it dies while i was leaving.Put a new CPS sensor (not from Oreilly's) Got a scan tool from a buddy and there were two codes for the CPS and One for the IPR. The IPR was not oily and the plug and wires looks fine Another couple of days of perfect running and then came out in the morning and no start. Not even a pop or catch.Cranked it three different times nothing.Unplugged the ICP sensor and it fired right up.Then later I checked the IPR and the nut on the end was loose so I tightened that.Drove it for the evening,shut it off once,fired right up. Next day I went out and it wouldn't start. Didn't even try. Unplugged the IPR sensor again. Nothing. Tried that three times. Battery was losing power so i put it on the charger for 45 min and tried it again. Fired right up. Took it into mechanic shop close by. He got the codes that I saw and he cleared them. Didn't seem to say much of anything in paticular. That was yesterday afternoon. Its run perfect ever since(he still has it) Always started up. When it starts it runs perfect unless it dies. HPOP was replaced 2 years ago. ICP sensor was too. It has enough oil and gas. No blow fuses, Dash lights all work,Oil pressure is fine, fuel pressure is too. Check engine light isn't on. Only time it was ever on was when I had the ICP sensor unplugged.PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 02:55 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Have you looked at the FICM? The FICM needs to product 45 volts at one of the terminals or it won't fire the injectors. This will show you how to test the FICM: ficmfixer.com

Dave

Dave

2004 Ford F-350 Regular cab with 6.0.
Completely Stock.

KK6TNI - HAM Radio

http://bennettlaneshopping.com/ - Our Outdoor/Garden and Kitchen Ware store
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 02:57 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Sorry for the above post. Wrong engine for the FICM. This stupid forum will not allow deleting my post!

Dave

2004 Ford F-350 Regular cab with 6.0.
Completely Stock.

KK6TNI - HAM Radio

http://bennettlaneshopping.com/ - Our Outdoor/Garden and Kitchen Ware store
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennett48 View Post
Have you looked at the FICM? The FICM needs to product 45 volts at one of the terminals or it won't fire the injectors. This will show you how to test the FICM: ficmfixer.com

Dave
Wrong engine Dave.

OP:
It sounds like your ICP is bad, again.
Alternatively, is the connector clean and free of corrosion or oil?
What is the intake temp sensor showing? If it's off it can cause funny things to happen, especially when it's cold and the engine thinks it's warm.

Last edited by Jasong; 05-11-2016 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Just seeing if editing or deleting is possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode