99 f250 7.3 no start - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Robert Durfee, this thread has received 13 replies and been viewed 1982 times.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
99 f250 7.3 no start

I bought a non running 1999 7.3 f250 I changed glow plugs, hpop, starter, ICP, UVC, MAP, IPR, CPS and new batteries. It cranks over good and strong but don't fire even with ether. Fuel and oil reservoirs are full. I don't see smoke from exhaust pipe when cranking. The low fuel, oil, tem light comes on when creating. The RPM gauge don't move. I'm thinking maybe injector O- ring but not sure how to test without pulling each one. Or is there something I missed ? It's my first 7.3 .... Thanks in advance. I have read a lot of threads but still fill Lost

Blackhawk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 02:11 AM

I am thinking for your 7.3 to start it needs three things. Air: Is the cam turning and in time for it to pull air in. Fuel: Ether. Ignition: By compression in this case and ether does not require much. A bad injector o-ring would not cause all cylinders to loose compression and it should fire on ether. Saw a 6.9 sprayed with wd40 and ether at the same time. The oil helped it build enough compression to fire up. It ran a few minutes and smoked out the whole shop. Found out the block heater had fallen out causing it to run so hot the rings were collapsed. Someone else had put an expansion plug in and filled the coolant but could not get it to run. Hope your luck is better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tenwheeler For this addition to TDG:
Robert Durfee (02-01-2017), Shelly (02-05-2017)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Thanks.. how can I check if it's in time or not. This is my first V8 diesel ... My big truck I'd pull the valve cover and it's right there on top.

Blackhawk
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 11:59 AM

This info from Ziggster's files....

You need to line up the scribe mark on the pump flange with the scribe mark on the pump gear housing. That's essentially it to start with. Hopefully the gear housing hasn't been removed, 'cause if it has it is possible the pump timing gear has been moved, and it is very difficult(but not impossible) to get it back to the right spot.

On the housing that's mounted on the top front of the engine where the pump bolts into, There is a small line about 1/4" long stamped into the rear/upper face of the housing just where the pump would mate to the housing. Likewise, on the pump almost at exactly the same spot on the flange of the pump where it bolts to the housing is a similar line scribed into onto the top of the pump flange.

The idea is that when you put the pump into the housing on the engine, and if you have those two marks lined up such that the almost form one 1/2" Long line, then the timing will be close enough that the engine should start and run. This is known as static timing.

Dynamic timing via luminosity is done where a probe is put into the cylinder, and actually sees the light from the explosion of the fuel, and the timing is set accordingly.

Some of us set the timing by "ear". This comes from some experimentation and experience.
I like mine so that when the engine is cold, as the cold advance is on, the engine rattles pretty loud, but once the cold advance drops off, then the rattle smooths out and the engine is much more quiet. If you have it too advanced, then it makes that loud rattle all the time, often accompanied by lots of black smoke, and if too retarded, will sound kinda flat most of the time, lack power, and often not smoke at all, or may even smoke greyish/whitish(unburned fuel).
When you are standing at the front of the truck facing the engine, if you turn the pump couterclockwise(top of the pump to the passenger side) you'll be advancing the timing, and obviously clockwise will retard the timing.

If you line up the gear cover and pump top center lines you will be able to start it.

The marks on the pump to housing are only accurate if it is the original pump from the factory. Turning the injection pump 1/16" to either side (measured at the pump to housing flange marks) that's about 4 deg. Turning IP to pax side is advancing timing, to drivers side is retarding, engine off for all adjustments and tighten nuts on IP before start.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jasong For this addition to TDG:
Robert Durfee (01-31-2017)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Jasong thank you. Great explanation and instructions on how to set it. I am working long hours this week so I will probably do it this weekend. Thanks

Blackhawk
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Durfee View Post
Jasong thank you. Great explanation and instructions on how to set it. I am working long hours this week so I will probably do it this weekend. Thanks
No credit to me.
It was an old writeup by Ziggster.
Robert Durfee likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Lol I see that now that you mentioned it... So thanks for sharing it

Blackhawk
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 01:08 AM

Let us know what you find out.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Timing the older 7.3 injector pump seems to be just as described but I have a hpop in that location and so it's not making any sense

Blackhawk
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Update tested the IDM and I'm not getting power out to the injectors

Blackhawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode