The Diesel Garage banner

Cam Position Sensor ????

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  imported_99powerstroke 
#1 ·
I went out and tried to start my truck today and it will crank but wont start.. I searched on here and I hear its the CPS.. So my next question is where is it located and can I get this sensor at Ford only or what...????

Thanks

David

#2 ·
its located on the passeger side towards the bottem of the water pump. About $180 at ford. Just takes a 10mm socket and a tug then unplug the electrical connection.

#3 ·
You can also find it on Ebay, Napa, or Navistar dealer alot cheaper than Ford.

Alot of us carry spares in the truck cause if it pukes on the road, you can swap it and be back on the road 10 min. later. The first go around for you will be a little longer as the CPS will be tough to remove from the block if it has not been changed recintly.

#4 ·
I just bought a international cam sensor on ebay for $45 brand new.

#5 ·
I went to an International parts dealer in town and payed 108 rather then 200 ford wanted.

Ohh yah welcome the club! The CPS club lol Make sure u get an extra one and keep that socket and ratchet in you glove box also.

#6 ·
^^^ What they said.

PLEASE, for the love of god, use ONLY an OE CPS! The aftermarket ones from who-knows-where are JUNK. They may be less expensive, but are also CHEAPER in terms of quality.

Ford or International only please.

#7 ·
It can also be batteries that do not have a full charge... Might put it on the charger and try again... Just might save you a 100 bucks... In 600,000 miles in three different PSD's I have lost only 1 CPS... I dont even carry a spare...

#9 ·
CSIPSD said:
It can also be batteries that do not have a full charge... Might put it on the charger and try again... Just might save you a 100 bucks... In 600,000 miles in three different PSD's I have lost only 1 CPS... I dont even carry a spare...

You shoulda knocked on wood..........

I lost two in two trucks in a three week period. Glad I had a spare......

#11 ·
Last week the Heat killed off my batteries and yes it made the same symptoms but with batteries the cranking was a bit weaker. i took them and they wouldnt hold a charge so after 2 new batteries i would of been better off with a CPS lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.