cold and EBPV - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by just visiting, this thread has received 12 replies and been viewed 866 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

cold and EBPV

ok so the weather has trned real cold here lately and i have noticed that when i start my truck after work and leave i take it REAL easy untill shes fully warmed up but i notice that when it hits about 1500RPM the motor gets "loud" as if i am pulling something all of a sudden.

well tonight i put it in neutral and held the throttle to about 11300-1500 RPM and after a couple of seconds the motor "boggs" down to about 1100RPM and it almost sounds like when you pulling guys are spoolin your turbos just as you take off (if this makes sence) the only thing i can think of is thats when the EBPV closes and its forcing the motor to work a little and help it warm up.

if so i was under the impression that the valve is closed from the start and slowly opens with RPM and oil temps. anyone that can answer me on what this is i appreciate it, just want to make sure its nothing serious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 11:14 AM

When I had my '97 I unplugged the EBPV because it became a royal pain. If there was snow on the ground and you let off the throttle going into a turn with the torque coverter locked the EBPV would close and act as an exhaust brake. Next thing you know you can feel the truck fish tail a little bit. I just unplugged it and forgot it, never had a problem with warming up or anything. Chris

I'm a little more country than that...

2011 F-350 Extended Cab Short Box Lariat

SOLD
2004 F350 Regular Cab Long Box XLT; FX4, 6.0L and TorqShift; Manual Transfer Case and Hubs; Dark Shadow Grey Metallic; Keyless Entry; Factory Idle Control; 8 1/2' Fisher MMII; Factory 18" Wheels painted black with 305/70R18 Mickey Thompson ATZ's in the summer and XL Steel Wheels painted Black with 285/75R16 ProComp A/T's in the Winter; Rough Country 2.5" Leveling Kit; Isspro Pyrometer, Boost, and Transmission Temperature Gauges in an Overhead Pod; SCT by Innovative Diesel; Innovative Moderate FICM Tune; ARP Head Studs; '03 Turbo screaming through a 4" Turbo Back 409 MBRP System with both Deletes and 6" Tip.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 02:33 PM

I bet your exhaust backpressure sensor is pluged or not working... It is controled by that and oil temp... If one or both are messed up so is the EBPV... Fix it rather then unplug it....Its trying to do its job...

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 02:52 PM

Im having the same problem, were is the Exhaust backpressure sensor? Can it be cleaned or is it better to buy a new one.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleace69
Im having the same problem, were is the Exhaust backpressure sensor? Can it be cleaned or is it better to buy a new one.

You can see it in both these pic's, there is a metal tube from the pass side manifold to that location. most times the tube gets plugged with soot and needs cleaned out, but the sensor can get plugged too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EB sensor 2.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	7675   Click image for larger version

Name:	EB sensor.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	7676  

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 07:44 PM

Just Visiting,
What year is your truck? Mine does the same thing, it's normal. The EBPV will cycle open/closed until everything is warm. Plug it in, depending on the outside ambient air temp, it should stop if you plug in at night.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

its a 97 sorry, but u did have it plugged in but the temp was only 11 degrees last night, anyways the first time it did it was about a month ago i went out and started it at 340 am, well the guy who was supposed to come in over slept (we were covering a guy on vac) he ended up coming in at 4:15 i left at 4:25 so the truck was at idle for well over 45 min and that time it did it and i was scared....

i would not think that the long idle did it hell our firetrucks sometimes idle for 4-6 hours and no problem, anyways it does it onle when its below about 25 degrees out, and ONLY between 13-1800RPM if i touch the gas a little harder its fine and i guess when i leave work i do about 45-50 mph for about 4 miles on this one road where there are 3 stop signs, afther that it dont do it anymore
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 09:35 PM

having a heck of problem with mine(ebpv) if it's under 30 degrees this thing comes on and off about every 20 seconds all the way to work (about 35-40min.s) and seems to hurt my fuel mileage. clean it ? unplug it? and if i unplug it will there be any other problems from doing so ? i'm a newbie so somebody help me
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 04:00 PM

I unplugged mine at the turbo pedestal and never looked back. Mine would also come on while on a long road trip through single-digit temps and stay on resulting in 10 MPG empty. I unplugged it but to help the engine stay warm I added a full winter front cover that I leave on from November clear into April. I now have a turbo that eliminates the EBPV but everything stays nice and warm with the winter front and my fuel mileage has returned to completely normal which is 17+ even in cold weather.

After that being said...take this info and adapt it to your climate. NC is a whole buch different from central/eastern Orygun.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 12:39 AM

thanks firehunter, gonna try her out monday morning about 5:00 am. it wont be that cold only about 31, but i should have an opportunity to see if it works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode