Early 99 power stroke - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by CaptainQ, this thread has received 16 replies and been viewed 3926 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Early 99 power stroke

I have read several threads about the differences in early and late 99's, what is the cheapest way to produce more healthy power ($1000-2000) and what are some other ways to do it. I also am not sure I understand all the tech. talk about pcm's. I have a good friend that run service at a big Ford dealer he says he can get me any processor I want for about 250.00 but neither him or I know if you can take a later year processor and put it in my 99 and it work or if it will damage something or if it will even do anything. I keep seeing posts about getting a PMT 1 is that the same as a processor from my ford friend or is that something totally different, any help would be appreciated. By the way my truck was man. 10 of 98.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 09:05 PM

You can run the same things as the later 99's you just might not build as much power as they do... But to build big power you will need injectors (the biggest limiting factor of the early 99's) So you will be about on the same level...

You want a PCM (Power Control Module) with a PMT or NVK family type. You should have a XLE3 right now, nothing wrong with it, just not as good as some of the laters!

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 02:19 AM
KRP

The later PCM will work in your early '99 just fine, you'll get an AIH code but no big deal. I don't know if you can buy a PMT1 computer from the dealer as that code has been updated and all they will sell you is the newest update I believe. It doesn't really matter though, just get a DPC-422 model PCM and a chip with whatever program code you want on it.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 02:44 AM
4cstr

Contact user SeeYa, as she and her husband Jody own DP-Tuner. They sell the later PCM's, and Jody can reburn a PCM to PMT1 as long as its within the same family.

And yep...you probably have an XLE coded PCM. They are horrible compared to the PMT coded box. The shifting is so much nicer.

Then open up the intake and exhaust, get yourself a good chip and enjoy your new truck.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 05:00 AM
RV Dealer Parts Guy

I'll second most of what was said above. For the $$$ you are talking I'd recommend:

1- Gauges are a must, EGT & Boost as a minimum, tranny temp also is a very good idea.

2- 4" exhaust sytem. If you in southern states, a aluminized system will last a long time. If you are up north, a "309" stainless system is the way to go.

3- Air intake: AFE, Tymar or an AIS w/ a Zoo-dad mod.

4- Call DP-Tuner and get a 99.5 PCM with a PMT-1 80hp econo tune flashed on it. The new PCM is a direct bolt in and easy to do once you have done it once or twice (I've done it in about 8 minutes) This is the most "bang-for-the-buck" mod I've ever done!

Trying to "chip" an early 99 PCM doesn't work out as well as the later 99.5 versions. My biggest complaint with the early 99/ XLE8 tune was the lame assed way the tranny functioned. With the PMT-1 tune, the improvement in tranny operation was unreal. The thing will now pull my camper up any hill in the U.P without dropping out of O/D. The improvment just blew me away.

Only only draw-back to the upgrades I've suggested is that you'll have to visit your physician afterwards. You'll have to get the S**t-eatin' perma-grin surgically removed from your face.

on edit: p.s.If you want read about my first drive with the DP-Tuner PCM installed, you can do it HERE.

Kent - Retired USAF MSgt
Ex-B-52 Tail Gunner w/ 3600+ Flying Hours

A&P Mechanic, American Eagle Airlines
Work on Embraer 135/140/145 and
Bombardier CRJ-700

2011 GMC 2500HD Duramax. Took delivery 10/26/2011
100% Stock.
Tail_gunner's Webshots
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 02:27 AM

ok, I have been following along on a bunch of these threads and I have a question. is the physical PMC different on the 99.5 and up or is it just software? from what I have been reading for my early 99, if it is a hardware change then I need to order my F5 chip plus a new PMC from Jody with the good tune on it. is this correct?

Steve
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 03:08 AM

I still have my XLE-code PCM in the tool box of the truck because Jody didn't want it. Methinks he can't do anything with it because of the actual hardware. Plus, it makes a decent spare if you ever ran into trouble or wanted to loan it to a buddy who has trouble.

I drove my PMT-1 with the 80 econo for 14 months+ before going to the F5 and there are days I think I spent the $$ too soon on the F5 just because I need other supporting mods to really see a major difference in tuning (Jody's that good at knowing what our trucks are capable of without injectors, HPOP, tranny, fuel system, etc.).

I'm certain I'll have to have the chip re-programmed once I get a few more things accomplished (above and beyond what I initially told Jody when I got the F5).

Damned PMS.

prt

'99 F250 X-cab 2wd