99 intermittent run good run bad - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by big hunter, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 579 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

99 intermittent run good run bad

this is kinda long...sorry...truck ran good then i had new leaf springs with extra spring put on the front. since I did that the truck hasn't been running right. it will sometimes when I start it then put it in gear ( auto ) the engine will lope, but then clear up when I give it throttle. next as I pull away sometimes it pulls great could be for 10 or 100 feet then it will back off like something is holding it back then it may or may not pick back up and run good. a couple of times I have pushed the pedal to the medal and it hardly moves or if I am already driving it doesn.t pick up speed or rpms. once I was going to West Virgina ( only 3,000 foot mountians) empty and hit them going 65 and lost speed down to 50 in no time, sounds like the waste gate was letting boost out I would nail it to the floor and then it would downshift and pick up speed until it shifted to high again then do it all over again. been doing this kind of stuff for about a year and a half. have taken it to 2 ford dealers and it doesn't have any codes. what the heck is wrong? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big hunter
this is kinda long...sorry...truck ran good then i had new leaf springs with extra spring put on the front. since I did that the truck hasn't been running right. it will sometimes when I start it then put it in gear ( auto ) the engine will lope, but then clear up when I give it throttle. next as I pull away sometimes it pulls great could be for 10 or 100 feet then it will back off like something is holding it back then it may or may not pick back up and run good. a couple of times I have pushed the pedal to the medal and it hardly moves or if I am already driving it doesn.t pick up speed or rpms. once I was going to West Virgina ( only 3,000 foot mountians) empty and hit them going 65 and lost speed down to 50 in no time, sounds like the waste gate was letting boost out I would nail it to the floor and then it would downshift and pick up speed until it shifted to high again then do it all over again. been doing this kind of stuff for about a year and a half. have taken it to 2 ford dealers and it doesn't have any codes. what the heck is wrong? thanks
It sounds as though you have either a fuel restriction , or a restriction in the filter or the exaust, Did it happen imediately after the lift?...Rick

Rick....

Supporter/End user of ShiftSolutions THE CURE E4/4R Trans Control. Helping Cancer patients and families
www.fordtransmissioncure.com
Special thanks to RacerX USA
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 01:06 AM

Does it make a loud hiss or smoke?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

yeah it happened right after the lift....I just think that must be a coincedence
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

yeah it smokes a little after idling awhile then driving away (white smoke)...not sure about hissing, kinda loud to hear hissing
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 04:10 PM
TDG Mafia Member # 37

once I was going to West Virgina ( only 3,000 foot mountians) empty and hit them going 65 and lost speed down to 50 in no time, sounds like the waste gate was letting boost out. I am assuming you don't have gauges. Sounds like you may have a boost leak. How many miles are on the truck? Are the air and fuel filters clean? When getting on it does it blow white smoke or blue smoke? What kind of testing did the dealer do? Did they just try to pull DTC's , and not check anything else? Could also be a wasted turbo or low compression. If you have any mods please fill out sig and post mileage, and any other symptoms you can think of. Gene :mafia

2001 F-250 XLT, cc sb 4X4, 3.73 LS,auto, Ported ATS shroud housing 1.00 exhaust housing Banks wicked wheel adjustable wastegated turbo,Non Ebpv pedestal and gutted Ebpv, DI Performance regulated fuel return kit, Dieselsites' 203* thermostat and billet housing, MBRP 4" ss turbo back exhaust system, AFE Stage 1 air intake, Jody Tiptons' F5 chip with no start,stock, 60hp tow,and 120hp race tune for now til I get big oil and injectors. Sonnax kit, Dieselsites' A/C heater core bypass valve, Autometer Boost, Pyro, and Trans temp guages in A pillar, Regulator in MAP line set at 20psi, boost tube, wastgate adjusted real tight, Aih delete, and Zoodad'ed. Amsoil fluids, Monroe Reflex shocks, and Ironman APR 265/75/16R tires.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

my truck has 183,000 miles, air and fuel filters and engine oil are always kept up on, only seems to blow alittle white smoke out after it idles for awhile then just as you start to take off, one dealer said he did some kind of water test, said the motor was pushing 4 inches ( I think they hook something up to the engine crankcase to measure blow by) anyhow the mechanic said it was pushing 4 inches, said that if at 6 inches it would be hard to start and at 8 inches it would need a rebuild...so I guess I'm right in the middle, doesn't sound like too much blow by. I don't know what "sig" is I'm new to forums. the mods I have are banks 4 inch exhaust, big head wastegate, six gun tuner (up to 62 hp) k&n air filter, power elbow (does away with the back preasure valve), trans command, and the truck was having all the problems before I put the mods on. thank you very much

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode