cold start problem - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by tinker1mn, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 690 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

cold start problem

Hi my 2001 psd doesn't want to start when cold and it's only been around 30 degrees out. It always used to start down to about -20 or -30 with out being plugged in.My batteries are original but it spins over fast.Could it be the glow plugs,or the relay or batteries.I am running rotella 5w-40 also. Any help would be great. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 02:24 AM

check the glow plug relay, u could have a couple of bad glow plugs,if the truck spins over fast then u know its not ur batts, when u first turn on ur truck look at the volt gauge when the wait to start light comes on , whatch ur voltage and see if it drops then comes back up when the light goes out
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 01:51 PM

Does it start fine at warmer temps, say around zero and above? If so, it's your batteries. Those temps are harsh on older batteries. I just replaced mine last week. At warmer temps the engine spun quickly and fired up without a problem, but at sub zero it was tough to get it running. Load test them separately, if they are still hooked up as you test, you'll get a false reading.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 04:43 PM
4cstr

If the engine is turning over rather quickly...then I would also lean toward your GP relay going out. With your door open, turn the key on. Does the interior light dim a bit. If so...then the glow plugs are getting juice. If not...then the relay might have gone "tango uniform".

Plus...your batteries are between 5 and 6 years old. Thats a long time for a couple of diesel batteries. If they have the green eye on the top..don't trust it. You might want to look into getting them both replaced in the not too distant future. And be sure to replace them in pairs. When our batteries start to die...they will have enough "umph" to turn the truck over...but there isn't enough left to fire the injectors...so you get a no-start condition.

Let us know what you find out.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks I tested my gpr I think it's the one closest to the fire wall ontop of the motor. And it only had 11.5 volts on one side & 12.65 on the other. I knew I was living one borrowed time with the batteries I'm pretty impressed at how long they've lasted so I think I will replace them along with the gpr. Thanks for the help
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker1mn
Thanks I tested my gpr I think it's the one closest to the fire wall ontop of the motor. And it only had 11.5 volts on one side & 12.65 on the other. I knew I was living one borrowed time with the batteries I'm pretty impressed at how long they've lasted so I think I will replace them along with the gpr. Thanks for the help
If you have 12.65 volts with the glow plugs running I cant believe you have problems with the batteries. My truck has 2 new batts and is barely 12.5 with glow plugs running.

I would probably replace that relay though :Thumbup:

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually My TDG Gallery
B codes, head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, stock turbo w/ 1.00 turbine housing
6.0 IC, NAPA 6637 air filter, AeroTurbine 4040XL, ITP Overboost Annihilator,
Quadzilla Commander, electric fuel system w/ regulated return
coolant filter, 203* thermostat
Dually Club Member #53

346.7HP, 852.1TQ 12/15/07 Greeley, CO w/ stage 1 injectors and Wildman tunes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode