01 PSD tranny issues? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 9 Lives, this thread has received 13 replies and been viewed 900 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy 01 PSD tranny issues?

I just got back from driving the truck for the first time with this issue. Here is what I feel

Put it in drive while motor is off and it will roll down a hill like its in neutral is that normal? it will do the same in 1st, 2nd & reverse??? Park still holds it

I put the truck in drive and pulled out of my driveway and it was stuck in 1st until you let off the accelerator then it shifted to im guessing 3rd. If you just held on the pedal steady it would stay in first gear all the way till redline as if you had the column in 1st.

On the way back to the house I dropped the column shifter into 2nd gear and it ran real high rpm's like it was in 1st gear.

Since the issue has started we haven't had any wild metal to metal funky noises,burning smells or even metal shavings.

Is this tranny a 4R100 ? I have found them forsale on ebay reman. for $1,700 is that decent? its an auto 2X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 02:14 PM
TDG Mafia Member # 37

Yes it is a 4r100. If he doesn't respond soon you might shoot a Pm to RacerX, as he is the resident tranny guru. He's a great guy and straight forward. Gene:mafia

2001 F-250 XLT, cc sb 4X4, 3.73 LS,auto, Ported ATS shroud housing 1.00 exhaust housing Banks wicked wheel adjustable wastegated turbo,Non Ebpv pedestal and gutted Ebpv, DI Performance regulated fuel return kit, Dieselsites' 203* thermostat and billet housing, MBRP 4" ss turbo back exhaust system, AFE Stage 1 air intake, Jody Tiptons' F5 chip with no start,stock, 60hp tow,and 120hp race tune for now til I get big oil and injectors. Sonnax kit, Dieselsites' A/C heater core bypass valve, Autometer Boost, Pyro, and Trans temp guages in A pillar, Regulator in MAP line set at 20psi, boost tube, wastgate adjusted real tight, Aih delete, and Zoodad'ed. Amsoil fluids, Monroe Reflex shocks, and Ironman APR 265/75/16R tires.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2006, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Also the computer hasent shot up any codes for the tranny at all....figured if something went wrong that a dummy light would pop up on the dash but nothing at all?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9 Lives
Also the computer hasent shot up any codes for the tranny at all....figured if something went wrong that a dummy light would pop up on the dash but nothing at all?
Mechanical Diode. This gizmo will not give you a warning light.

01 F250 4X4, 7.3.
90 F350 4X4, 7.3
85 F250 4X2 6.9
08 Arctic Cat 700 4X4, Diesel

Easy button for photos
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 01:23 AM

where is the "mechanical diode
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Things havent been going my way this year :splat

Im sure this mechanical diode spells disaster? need complete rebuild or what?:mafia
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Things havent been going my way this year :splat

Im sure this mechanical diode spells disaster? need complete rebuild or what?:mafia
Probably would be a good idea while it's out. You will need a drum, race, sprag, and thrusts to replace a mechanical diode. The MD is no longer made. The updated repair swaps the E4OD sprag design back in and this cures it. The MD didn't quite make it thru 2001 before it began to fail.

Expect used bearings, sprags, thrusts, bushings, gearsets, still good mechanical diode design parts, and no updated parts from the ebay seller.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I will not be getting this done through ebay. For the same price they have it on ebay there is a local company that will rebuild my tranny while I watch.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

What does this E4OD sprag design look like? I told the guy I didn't beleive he could do if for that price there for I will be watching him do it. I want to make sure he is putting a new updated parts in as you described?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 07:41 PM

Quote:
What does this E4OD sprag design look like? I told the guy I didn't beleive he could do if for that price there for I will be watching him do it. I want to make sure he is putting a new updated parts in as you described?
These are wear items that a good basic rebuild should replace: bearings, sprags, rear race, thrusts, bushings. Plus select fit rings, and some mandatory replace parts that don't come in a basic overhaul kit. New OD and Coast bonded pistons, output and sun snap rings, new band, new servo piston. Add converter, lock up clutch is a wear item.

Unless the rebuilder knows about the MD, the price may change after it's apart. You can find a photo of the E4od sprag and drum in my rebuild. Here is a link: https://www.thedieselgarage.com/projects/e4od/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode