6-Speed Transmission Problem - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by mwierowski, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 1081 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

6-Speed Transmission Problem

I am new to this site and first what to say hi to everyone. I have done some searching through the forums and haven't found an answer to the problem I am having with my tranny, so I thought I would ask. Starting from a stand still, when I release the clutch and it starts to engauge I hear a fairly loud high pitched metal on metal sound until the clutch is fully engauged. This happens wheather I start out in granny, 1st, 2nd or Rev. Once I am moving, I can shift through the gears and don't hear anything. If I start from a slight rolling start, it won't make any noise at all. I thought it might be the clutch, so I pulled the transmission out to change the clutch and the clutch assembly looks fine, throw out bearing is fine too. Now I am wondering if is something internally in the transmission making the noise. I drained the transmission fluid to look for metal shavings and everything looks clean. The truck has 152k on it and I am not hard on the transmission at all. I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas or something I should look at before I spend the money to have the transmission rebuilt.

Thanks,
-Mike

Early '99 (Built 06/98) F-350 XLT SRW 4x4 Reg. Cab 7.3L 6-speed, AFE Stage II w/ Progaurd 7 Filter, (Pre-Turbo) Pyro and Boost Gauges, MBRP 4" turbo back straight piped, South Bend Con OFE clutch, '01 Headlights, Hella Micro FF Fog and Driving Lights, '06 Travel Tow Mirrors, DP Tuner F5 (Stock, 60T, 80E, 120)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 03:22 PM

2: to the garage!!

I don't have an answer for your question but you will have some oppinions coming shortly. I gaurantee it. :Thumbup:

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually My TDG Gallery
B codes, head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, stock turbo w/ 1.00 turbine housing
6.0 IC, NAPA 6637 air filter, AeroTurbine 4040XL, ITP Overboost Annihilator,
Quadzilla Commander, electric fuel system w/ regulated return
coolant filter, 203* thermostat
Dually Club Member #53

346.7HP, 852.1TQ 12/15/07 Greeley, CO w/ stage 1 injectors and Wildman tunes
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 08:08 PM

Do you rest your hand on the shifter?
A guy that used to drive truck for my dad made it a habit and what happens is it costantly over/under engages the gear and can ruin a tranny. Happened twice before he got the sack.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by powrstrkn'
Do you rest your hand on the shifter?
A guy that used to drive truck for my dad made it a habit and what happens is it costantly over/under engages the gear and can ruin a tranny. Happened twice before he got the sack.
The only time I keep my hand on the stick is when I am accelerating and know I will be shifting again shortly, other than that my arm is either on the wheel or the arm rest.

Early '99 (Built 06/98) F-350 XLT SRW 4x4 Reg. Cab 7.3L 6-speed, AFE Stage II w/ Progaurd 7 Filter, (Pre-Turbo) Pyro and Boost Gauges, MBRP 4" turbo back straight piped, South Bend Con OFE clutch, '01 Headlights, Hella Micro FF Fog and Driving Lights, '06 Travel Tow Mirrors, DP Tuner F5 (Stock, 60T, 80E, 120)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Well, I opted to get a new transmission from the dealership. Every place I called around here locally was going to charge me between $1800 and $2000 to rebuild the transmission. A guy at work told me to check the price on a new transmission from the dealership, so I did. Come to find out, for an extra $900 I could get a new (or I think it's factory rebuilt) transmission with a 3yr./75k mi. parts and labor warrenty. The transmission from the dealership was $2736 (I called around to a few different dealerships and this was the lowest quoted price. This dealership deals alot with the fleet truck market, so I am guessing this had a lot to do with it since the next closest at the dealer was $3460). I didn't think that was a bad deal with that warrenty included.

Anyway, the new transmission is going in today along with my South Bend Con OFE that has about 30 miles on it.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 03:00 PM
TDG Mafia Member #25

I see, let us know what the problem is with the old one for future reference.

Adrianspeeder
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
I see, let us know what the problem is with the old one for future reference.
Not really sure what exactly was wrong with the old transmission since I just swapped the entire transmission and took the core back to the dealer. I know the grinding sound had nothing to do with the clutch since I replaced all that, drove 30 miles or so and it what still doing the same thing. Now that I replaced the transmission it's not making the grinding noise anymore, so it had to be something internal in the trans. But since I didn't take the transmission apart, I can't say for sure what it was.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode