hungry for fuel! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by broadheadjohn, this thread has received 28 replies and been viewed 1612 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

hungry for fuel!

Hey guys first post for me...

I have a 1995 7.3 PSD I just bought it figuring I would give diesel a try, and realised that knowing nothing about diesels SUCKS! I am mechanically inclined when it comes to gasoline but thats where it stops...

So heres the deal... The truck has 160k in it and I drove it from boston to Pittsburgh and got 12 mpg! The truck has very little power and will barely maintain speed climbing slight grades. It is shuddering in the higher gears until it gets the rpm's up but it still has no power...

The turbo sounds fine, and there is not a ton of smoke. I replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the FPR screen.
both helped slightly, It does not shudder so bad but there is still some, and still no power.
My very non-professional opinion is its the lift pump. I have read about changing it on thedieselstop.com and is does not sound like it's that hard... has anyone done this without problem? are there any tips or tricks to this? And is there a recomended place or brand to get... and anything else that I should change while I am in there. And lastly does anyone have a more detailed linkfor this change... I know I am asking alot for a newbie but any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks for the help guys!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 06:51 PM

I would check the fuel pressure before you replace the pump. Just hook a pressure gauge to the 1/8" pipe thread that the shrader valve is screwed into on the regulator. Start up the truck and see what you gauge reads. I am not sure exactly what pressure the stock regulator is set up to run but someone will probably post that shortly. I would think you shouldn't see much of a problem with stock injectors at 45 or 50 psi. I run 60 psi on my truck with a electric pump from a SD.

You can shim the regulator to make more pressure but I would wait to do that until you have the pump diagnosed.

Changing the fuel pump isn't too bad, just make sure you are careful when removing the pump. Make sure you bring it straight up so you dont drop the tapet out of the pump. It wont fall out really easy normally but you dont want to take chances.

Steve Baz's site is a great place to read up on all the tips and tricks on the OBS Powerstrokes. I am looking for the link now.

Found it: Steve Baz's site

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually My TDG Gallery
B codes, head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, stock turbo w/ 1.00 turbine housing
6.0 IC, NAPA 6637 air filter, AeroTurbine 4040XL, ITP Overboost Annihilator,
Quadzilla Commander, electric fuel system w/ regulated return
coolant filter, 203* thermostat
Dually Club Member #53

346.7HP, 852.1TQ 12/15/07 Greeley, CO w/ stage 1 injectors and Wildman tunes
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 07:21 PM

Check that the exhaust back pressure valve isn't stuck shut. The linkage for it is on the bottom side, between the turbe and the down pipe. The linkage came loose on mine and I've heard of them getting stuck shut from carbon buildup. Fully clockwise looking from the top is open.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 10:44 PM

If you do change the lift pump, change all the fuel hoses that are close by too. Got my pump at car quest.

'00 cc f 350 a few mods, and a bts tranny.

Wet concrete, Hot Asphalt And Life Wait for no one
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

changed the lift pump

Changed the pump tonight... that sucked!
What sucks even worse is it still ain't fixed...I will try the other things tomorrow and see if it helps...Thanks alot for all the help... it seems like nobody around my town has any clue about diesels.... Thanks again...
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 12:52 AM

Definatly replace the three little hoses going to the pump, if you have to replace the pump you'll probably rip them removeing it anyway. I think they are heat resistant so I bought mine from ford they come cut to length so that maks it easier. also there are two washeres that seal the line on the back of the pump you probably need to get them too.

Ross
Show-ME Smokers 2.6 modified street pulling truck "The Lone Stroke" My Videos
1996 f350, powerstroke, 4x4, 5-speed, 4.56 gears, Swamps 450/600 injectors, Swamps BFH turbo, Swamps Idm, Swamps tunes, BTS oil, SBC clutch, studs, springs, tubes, air to water intercooler, fuel system, factory rods!

Tow Rig
1997 f350, srw, reg cab, 4x4, 5 speed, 4.10 gears, 3in down pipe, straight pipe, mystery chip.

Becker Brothers Enterprises
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadheadjohn
Changed the pump tonight... that sucked!
What sucks even worse is it still ain't fixed...I will try the other things tomorrow and see if it helps...Thanks alot for all the help... it seems like nobody around my town has any clue about diesels.... Thanks again...
I'm a slow typer you posted that while I was typing mine in.
Your not getting a check engine light or anything are you?

Ross
1996 f350, powerstroke, 4x4, 5-speed, 4.56 gears, Swamps 450/600 injectors, Swamps BFH turbo, Swamps Idm, Swamps tunes, BTS oil, SBC clutch, studs, springs, tubes, air to water intercooler, fuel system, factory rods!

Tow Rig
1997 f350, srw, reg cab, 4x4, 5 speed, 4.10 gears, 3in down pipe, straight pipe, mystery chip.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared S
Check that the exhaust back pressure valve isn't stuck shut. The linkage for it is on the bottom side, between the turbe and the down pipe. The linkage came loose on mine and I've heard of them getting stuck shut from carbon buildup. Fully clockwise looking from the top is open.

No check engine light....
I looked for the exhaust back pressure valve... is it right next to the turbo on the bottom of the pipe with the rod that goes behind the turbo? If so, I pushed on it and it moved a little, but it does not move when pushing the throttle...
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadheadjohn
No check engine light....
I looked for the exhaust back pressure valve... is it right next to the turbo on the bottom of the pipe with the rod that goes behind the turbo? If so, I pushed on it and it moved a little, but it does not move when pushing the throttle...
yes it is on the bottom exit side off the turbo. the only time it will move is when the engine and the outside air is cold. It will close to make the engine warm up faster. I dont think you should be able to move it verry much by hand but I am not sure.
When you replaced your fuel filter was it very black and oiley you could have an injector O-ring leaking oil in to the fuel and causing problems.
Also If you checked your fuel pressure what was it.

Ross

Tow Rig

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I will check the fuel pressure today... the fuel filter was not to bad...the FPR screen was pretty clogged, cleaning it helped some...I will let you guys know the fuel pressure asap. Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode