Autometer wires - Page 2 - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by ndrorydr, this thread has received 19 replies and been viewed 1026 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 07:45 PM

That didn't answer my question. The sender grounds itself. No one said anything about grounding the sender dude.:shrug:

Go ahead and use a common ground for the tranny gauge and see what happens, bet you'll be adding an extra ground. I'd be interested in finding out how the gauge works. Mine works perfect with two grounds. Verified with a point and shoot laser thermometer on both trucks. I was interested in finding out if there is another way to wire the tranny gauge instead of running another ground, but you never answered the question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 07:50 PM

Csipsd is the gauge KING! :bow:

03 F-250 6.0, FX4, 6 inch Fabtech lift, 18 inch Centerline's, 35x12.5 toyo M/Ts, 05 front end conversion with Harley headlights, Cowl hood with silver stripes, upfitter switches, Bilstein shocks, 08 taillights, 08 tailgate, 08 trailer tow mirrors, Recon smoked cab, mirror and third brake light, tinted windows, MBRP SS turboback, no cat, Autometer Cobalts on the pillar... Line-X, weatherguard toolbox..
Western 8" Pro Plus ultra mount, Boss 1100 Smart Hitch salt spreader
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 07:57 PM

I am aware of CPIPSD's gauge prowess....no need for groupies piling on....

NDRORYDR-Let us know how you wired the tranny ground. I'd like to know if there is another way to get it to read correctly. I know mine works, but that don't mean it's the best way.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 08:11 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrpete
I just installed two sets of Autometer pillars this month. Grounding the tranny gauge twice is the only way I could get them to function correctly.

Did you ground your tranny to the same ground as the other two? Or a seperate ground? I am positive that there are two places to ground the tranny on the back of the gauge.
pmrpete,
What series of Autometer gauges are you installing? Some of theirs are stepper motor, others are air core. However, all should function generally the same with regards to the sensor input and grounding. Where did you run these ground wires? From the two grounds on the gauge to a good frame ground?

What Joe (CSIPSD) is doing is just providing one heavy ground from the frame to the gauge pod, then tying all grounds (including the two on the trans temp gauge) to this heavy ground. In other words, he is still providing two grounds, but splicing them together with all the other gauge grounds to simplify the wiring.

As long as the current drawn through a given wire is small enough relative to the size of the wire, any point on that wire should be effectively the same voltage (electrically equal). Therefore it is the same whether you run one common gauge wire to the frame, or run all of them individually, as long as the current is small enough (which it should be on just about any gauge except an ammeter).

Regards,
Michael Pliska

ISSPRO Engineering Manager

1995 F350 PSD Crew Cab Dually, 271k miles
10 ISSPRO Prototype Performax™ gauges in Pillar & Overhead pods & sitting on dash, Tymar Intake, Gutted EBPV, Tymar 3x4" downpipe, Tymar 5" exhaust, Cat's hiding in the shed, Baby Swamps, Swamps tunes, Tricumulator springs and Accumulator Valve, Tru-Cool 4590 Trans Cooler, Lock-Right Locker
1998 S&S 9.5' slide-in camper
32' enclosed tag trailer with 2 drag cars (73 Vega Super-Gas & 74 Vega ET Super-Pro)
1992 GMC Typhoon, 1973 Chevy Blazer with Pontiac 400, 1973 Trans-Am 455
2000 VW Jetta TDI - Kerma tune, Der Chimera Stage II Clutch
NRA member and certified firearms instructor, GOA Life member, IDPA member
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
There are two ground connections at the gauge, one for the lighting and one for the gauge... You can run them all together for all gauges, all lighting... ONE ground wire to a good ground.

That didn't answer my question. The sender grounds itself. No one said anything about grounding the sender dude.

I dont know how much more clear I can be???:Thumbup:

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 08:18 PM

Quote:
I am aware of CPIPSD's gauge prowess....no need for groupies piling on....

I have groupies??? WHHOOOOOHOOOO :Thumbup:

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
What Joe (CSIPSD) is doing is just providing one heavy ground from the frame to the gauge pod, then tying all grounds (including the two on the trans temp gauge) to this heavy ground. In other words, he is still providing two grounds, but splicing them together with all the other gauge grounds to simplify the wiring.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

:thanks: Awesome! Thank you for that clear explanation, that was what I was looking for. I ran all the gauges off a good frame ground per the Isspro instructions everyone uses. I spliced the grounds from one frame location. However, where my second ground differs from what you explained, is I ran a whole different ground, from a different location to the second ground connection on the tranny gauge. It works but I was thinking maybe the tranny gauge needed an additional seperate ground to function properly. I'll prolly just run an additional splice from the main line next time and see how that works.

Thanks again man!:cheers
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 09:38 PM

Quote:
:thanks: Awesome! Thank you for that clear explanation, that was what I was looking for. I ran all the gauges off a good frame ground per the Isspro instructions everyone uses. I spliced the grounds from one frame location. However, where my second ground differs from what you explained, is I ran a whole different ground, from a different location to the second ground connection on the tranny gauge. It works but I was thinking maybe the tranny gauge needed an additional seperate ground to function properly. I'll prolly just run an additional splice from the main line next time and see how that works.

Thanks again man!:cheers
I thinks you dont likes me.....:crybaby2:

Isspros use a amp box, you will have two ground wires coming from way differant locations with there gauges, one from the amp box and one for the lighting at the gauge... Autometer does not, they have one for lighting and one for the gauge, both coming out about 1/2" away from each other...:Thumbup:

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 01:44 AM

I am no groupie...But CSIPSD is still the gauge king! :nana: so get over it-:Wedgie:

03 F-250 6.0, FX4, 6 inch Fabtech lift, 18 inch Centerline's, 35x12.5 toyo M/Ts, 05 front end conversion with Harley headlights, Cowl hood with silver stripes, upfitter switches, Bilstein shocks, 08 taillights, 08 tailgate, 08 trailer tow mirrors, Recon smoked cab, mirror and third brake light, tinted windows, MBRP SS turboback, no cat, Autometer Cobalts on the pillar... Line-X, weatherguard toolbox..
Western 8" Pro Plus ultra mount, Boss 1100 Smart Hitch salt spreader
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
I pulled the trans gauge out and this is how they are done; the two grounds are together for a single ground out:Thumbup: . I still need to get some male ends to join the female connectors that the kit came with on the red, black, and white wires. The original owner really had a clean install and I want to make sure I do the same.

I've got the boost working and the trans temp sender installed. Not sure I like the look of the tranny fluid, so I'll be changing that just to make sure.

Tim

Early 99 Crew Cab Long Bed Lariat 4x4 7.3L PSD Primary Horse Hauling Rig
-Stage 1 160cc Single Shot Injectors - DP Tuner F5 - 60 Tow, 80 Econo, High Idle, Stock - NVK5 PCM thanks to DP Tuner
-Home Brew fuel system with Aeroquip socketless fittings, socketless hose, and Aeromotive Regulated Return
-4" Lift 285/75R16 E Nitto Dura Grapplers - 5" MKO Aluminized Exhaust w/6" Stainless Tip - Pair of Optima Red Tops - Napa 6637 Air Intake filter - Triple Gauge A-pillar Pod w/Autometer UltraLite:Trans, EGT, Boost - CCV Mod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode