Oil Leak in X. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by cdiesel, this thread has received 15 replies and been viewed 1587 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Oil Leak in X.

Started noticing oil in the driveway last week. Figured it was Joe's rear Dif that was leaking. Then started it up Monday and it sprayed oily water from the exhaust.
Crawled under it and yes it was leaking. Opened the hood and looked in the valley and there was a puddle of oil. So I assume I have a turbo leak. I ordered a Wicked Wheel and it came with the new O rings. Figured since I was already in there I might as well get the WW now.
My questions are....Why is it leaking? Any suggestions to make the install go easier? And also....How long is it going to take me to pull it and install the WW and put it back together? Doing it myself...so allow time for trial and error. :Thumbup:
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 06:29 PM
IS FREE!!!!!

Send a message via AIM to 6Lcummins Send a message via MSN to 6Lcummins Send a message via Yahoo to 6Lcummins
please tell me ull have some supervision from joe??? i know they are fun to get out of a truck, so i can just day good luck, dont get pissed to fast. and be careful not to break a nail chels no clue on time but i htink one of hte more experienced PSD ppl will come along and help. im just glad my turbo is out in the open.

12.56 @ 102 MPH Ennis Texas 4/10/10
11.55 @ 117 MPH Cedar Falls Iowa 5/22/10
1968 Cummins Corvette
All hard parts provided by Low Budget Diesel Performance and our sponsors Hamilton Cams, Pureflow Technologies, and PowerFlow Exhaust
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 08:06 PM

oil in the valley is HPOP leak not turbo.Oil off the back and none in the valley is turbo.

Now that is darn right wonderful.A women wrenching on a diesel.I wish you where my wife.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

The oil is coming down the back and down over the torque converter cover underneath. What do I do if it's the HPOP? Thanks Mike, I hope it goes well.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 02:54 AM

If the oil is in the front of the enginge valley it's the hpop o-rings. If its coming from the rear and the front is dry its the turbo pedistal o - ring.
Since you have the ww to install do it by removing the turbo, that way you can replace the o rings and eliminate them as being the culprit. Joe won't help? :
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Joe will help, but he is more of a...how do I say this nicely.....Move over and let me do it! kind of guy.
So I have limited his involvement in this to pointing and limited moments of groaning and complaining that I'm doing it too slow and all wrong! All kidding aside he will be doing a lot of talking, walking me through it. But he is NOT allowed to help unless I ask, I want to do it all.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 03:46 AM

IF it ends up being the turbo pedestal O-rings, and since you are pulling the turbo anyway, this should help you out. http://thefourwheelerpage.com/diesel...l_o_rings.html
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!! And I did it ALL BY MYSELF! Joe didn't lift a wrench the whole time. I swear!
The directions that came with the WW said "3-9 hours depending on level of experience and ability." All I cared about was getting done in UNDER 9 hours. I didn't want to be the retard who couldn't get it done! It took me right at 6 hours. I was very happy. I went off the directions and all was fine.
Thanks to Joe, for trusting me. :thanks:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo clamps2.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	7972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Going back in.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	7973   Click image for larger version

Name:	IC pipes.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	7974  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 02:40 AM
is here and there.

Thanked 1,110 Times in 665 Posts
Way to go Chels!...Now, how's it run?

Life changes, so roll with it, not against it.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Runs great! I was just praying it would start up. And it did!
No more leaking and a little more get up and go on the bottom end. Couldn't ask for much more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode