HELP! No start. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by BOND007PSD, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 517 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

HELP! No start.

Hello Gents:
1st time user, diesel and psd owner. Hoping that you all can help. I have an '01 F350 7.3l Dually. Mods are Edge Attitude w/5 levels, Maxxforce intake, (have added sound/video mods but don't think they are a problem). Things I've done/checked thanx to threads I've read: 2 new batts, new GPR & CPS (altho both checked out later as good, so I have b/u's Yippee). Have changed fuel filter, bowl is filling as well. Have tested resistance on glow plugs and they are within specs. Have even plugged in engine warmer altho it rarely gets belo freezing here in eastern AZ.
About 4 wks. ago when it started cooling down, it would start, but then start "loping", then die. Even w/ gas on it, it would die out. Once started, it would run fine, but same deal next morning. It got progressively worse, now won't start at all, just cranks, no fire. Lots of white smoke as it tried to start, prior to dying altogether.
Can anyone help? I'm dead right now and hate to think I'll need to tow to F-Stealer and get bent.
tl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 04:35 AM
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #77

Talking Welcome to the Garage!

Have you checked fuel pressure? Oil level?
If you don't have enough of either, she won't start.

1999.5 PSD, 4x4, Auto trans, 6.0 Trans cooler, ZooDad Mod, ISSPRO Trans - boost - EGT gauges, Wicked Wheel, 5inch Stainless tip, 315 75 17 BFG AT's, ProComp 9000's at the corners, Fumatomo Valve, Pooned tank, DP Tuner F5 w/ 80 tow, 80 econo, 120 race and permagrin!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 04:58 AM

First off, check the wiring to the glowplugs and make sure all the plugs are connected and no bad wires. Check the HPOP (high pressure oil pump) resovior(sp.?) it should be full to about a half of an inch to the top. To check, simply remove the allen wrench plug from the top of the aluminum housing in the very front of your engine, if you cant find the plug, then remove the pressure sensor on the top of the LEFT side housing and stick a small screwdriver in the hole to check the level(should be half inch from top). If oil is not within half inch, then you might have LOW pressure oil pump problem.

If worried about your chip, simply unhook and reinstall all factory connections<<<<simple to do , then see if it still has the problem in "stock". Also, try unhooking your EBS(engine backpressure sensor) on the front of the engine near the waterpump, then try to start, if this cures the problem then unhook the copper tube from the sensor to the manifold and clean out the carbon with VINEGAR, if this does not work, maybe then..........order a EBS stage 1 removal kit from dfuser.com(35.00 shipped, and cheaper than a new EBS sensor):Thumbup:

I myself do not know much about a 7.3 but....my bro is walking me through this and if you have any more Q's, just ask, maybe we can help. You can PM me a phone# and we could walk you through this, we'll be home ALL weekend , with not much to do.

This is a lot to check but it could save you some shop time cash:Thumbup: . Also, when re-connecting wiring check for corrosion, if present clean, and use di-electric grease when re-connecting. << This is found at most chain auto stores.

Hope this helps,
Mikey & Nelson

89 w250 project truck
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

2Loud2Bad,
Thanx 4 the quick reply. I checked my engine oil level and it was low, added 4 qts. and went back to get more. I will check tomorrow and add more if need be. How do I check fuel pressure?
tl
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 05:24 AM

We did TOO MUCH TOO LATE, sorry , keep an eye on regular maintenacelaugh

89 w250 project truck
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 07:05 AM
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #77

You may have....

found your problem!

To check the fuel pressure, you need a fuel gauge that tops out at 100 PSI, fittings for the gauge to 5/16" fuel line (You can get all of this from NAPA for around $50.00) along with 5 feet of 5/16" fuel line and a couple of clamps. Put all of your stuff together and slide the open end of the fuel line and a clamp up on the water/fuel bowl drain line, tighten the clamp, then place the gauge up near your windshield so you can see it (I pin the fuel line under the wiper blade). Open the drain (Yellow pivot) on the back of the fuel bowl. Start the truck and get your reading. Should be at least 45 PSI.

Before you go through all of this though, make sure your oil is up to par. And as mentioned above, check the HPOP oil level.
I would almost lay money on the low oil being your problem.

Let us know what happens.

:evil Too Loud? Too Bad! :evil

1999.5 PSD, 4x4, Auto trans, 6.0 Trans cooler, ZooDad Mod, ISSPRO Trans - boost - EGT gauges, Wicked Wheel, 5inch Stainless tip, 315 75 17 BFG AT's, ProComp 9000's at the corners, Fumatomo Valve, Pooned tank, DP Tuner F5 w/ 80 tow, 80 econo, 120 race and permagrin!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

mrector & 2loud2bad,
I put 2 more qts oil in this morning and it now registers. Checked HPOP reservoir as described and a 4" screwdriver came back dry! Any help on my options at this point would be sincerely appreciated...
tl
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 01:26 AM
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #77

Talking Holly smokes, your kidding right?

Damn, does that truck leak like a siv or what? When is the last time it was changed? All ribbing aside : You can add oil directly into the HPOP. Same way you checked it, just poor some in until 1/2" from top.

Let us know if it doesn't start after that and someone will be around to (Post)give you some more help.

Have a Merry Christmas!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 02:21 AM

Top off the res and then try to fire her off. I am betting a HPO regulator

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2006, 03:30 AM

I might be a bit rusty but the oil in the resivior(sp.?) is pumped there by the low pressure oil pump on your bottom end, I would fill the resivior and get the truck running and then let it sit for a few hours then check the level again. If the level has dropped you could have a check valve leaking, or a low pressure oil pump problem, if this is the case then you should take it to a Desiel shop, and have them check it for you! These engines(well any engine) need that oil, especially powerstrokes (7.3,6.0) use it to run the injectors. So keep a good eye on that oil! Post back and let us know how its going!

oil pan, then low end oil pump, then resivior, then high pressure oil pump, then high pressure oil sensor(so-called regulator) on the pump, ect...

Reason we know all of this is, cause if there ever was a problem to be had on a powerstroke it has happened to my bro's truck(Nelson). Good luck with the truck.

Mikey & Nelson

89 w250 project truck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode