Overheating questions - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 4cstr, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 401 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
4cstr

Overheating questions

I am getting ready to road trip out to Colorado in a few weeks. Gonna spend some time with my bro's family and head into the mountains. Anyway...I have a SS winter front that is kind of a PITA to put on and take off. Its currently on. Since we are heading into the mountains...I would like to keep it in up there. However...do you think I run an overheating risk driving out there with it in? It has small slits in it...but not all the way through it. I have a water temp gauge to monitor the engine...but no sense asking for trouble.

I have to completely remove the grill in order to get the winter front in and out.

:thanks: :thanks:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

If the weather stays colder than 40*F I think you will be fine, and you are smart enough to keep an eye on the ECT so no worries.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 11:53 PM

I wouldnt worry... Kainers ran without a fan for a LONG time...

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Without a FAN and without AIRFLOW are not the same concept, but I agree, the risk is small if it exists at all.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 01:17 AM

I run a full winter front that has a zipper in the middle that opens a triangle ~10 inches across and I have run like that in 50 degree temps with no issue at all. I close it completely any time it is below freezing. I truly believe that these engines need the heat and thrive on it. I get decent fuel mileage in the winter now after installing the winter front.

I notice a 100* increase in EGT with the winter front completely closed off versus no front at all. So I cruise down the highway at 700* instead of 600*. The water temp (idiot gauge) never moves.

Are you going to be pulling or empty? I would guess empty which means "no worries".
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 01:24 AM

I live in Colorado and I don't use one at all. It very seldom gets below 20 and even when it does, It could warm up to 50 during the day. Also, you will be working your engine harder going over the mountain passes which will keep the engine temps up. I would bring it, but I'll bet you won't need it.

2006 Dodge Laramie Quad cab 4X4 muffler delete, that's it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
4cstr

Thanks guys. It will be unloaded...well...there won't be a trailer in tow anyway. My fat butt will be in it though. I leave the grill opening thats in front of the air intake uncovered, and have swiss cheesed holes in there so that there is still a supply of air going to the engine. Everything else is blocked off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode