HPOP oil leak - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by stod, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 1176 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Angry HPOP oil leak

Hello all,

Having a problem with oil leaking from under the HPOP on my 95 Club Wagon with PSD. Bought the o-ring kit from a local dealer and started to check out where the oil is leaking from. Seems that my o-rings were not the problem. The lines coming from the HPOP to the heads were dry. Since the PSD is in a van, in order to find where the oil is leaking from I had to go in from the back of the motor. (Through the doghouse area.) Ater tearing everything from the top of the motor to access the HPOP area I could see the oil was coming out from under the pump. I removed the pump and inspected it. At first it looked like there might be a crack in the pump, but I buffed and polished the webbing area and it was not cracked. The mating surface between the pump and the front cover looked fine.

Now I need to re-install the pump and figure out where the oil was leaking from. The seal in there looks like RTV. I need to know if the seal has been a problem on these engines. I would also like to know if anybody has the torque specs on the gear bolt for the HPOP.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Really want my van back in running order. Soon....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

2: to TDG!

Well, the Vans are a challenge, and I applaud you for even trying.

The HPOP plugs often leak, there is a kit to re-seal them, and this includes the HPOP outlet port.

I do not recall, but it has been a few years since my last 7.3L PSD HPOP removal, that there was ANY RTV used as a gasket material. There *should* be an "o-ring" that seals the HPOP to the reservoir. If that was missing, that could have been the whole problem as RTV does NOT seal well under engine oil pressure.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions, someone will be happy to help.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks for the response. I'll have to do a little research and find out.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 12:11 PM

Check the pulg at the bottom of the pump right under the HP lines. there is an o-ring there that leaks.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 05:48 PM
FRANKEN STROKE

I agree with these guys, but somthing you might also check is the fuel lines in the front of your heads. I just got trough chasing a HPOP leak on a freinds truck that turned out not to be leaking but fuel that was sprayed on the pump was washing oil an grease into the valley to make it look like an oil leak!

The fuel only leaked onder high pressure, and would dry while the motor idled. That made it hard to find till a buddy got the bright idea to try to make me jump by hitting the fuel while I was looking under the hood!laugh

Just an idea!

NELSON

96 F-250 4X4,DP Tunner, EZmod, up graded IDM, custom drive shafts, staight axle up grade, 5-speed,head studs, bps bypass, dual HPOP's, AFE Filter, aeromotive fuel system, tubes, springs, oringed, copper head gaskets, 5" stacks (all chrome), south-bend dd clutch, H2E big spinny thing, some hugh-jazz injectors, 3" body lift (had to fit the turbo in), homemade traction bars fromt and rear, blood sweat & lockers!!
Four different trucks had to die to make this one!!!!!!!!!!!Thats why we call him FRANKEN STROKE! Too much fuel, and not enough money

Sled pulling in NC,TENN,VA,and anywere else theyll let us!!!!!

P.S. Dont be afraid of the sawzall! It can fix anything!

[email protected]

DONATIONS EXCEPTED!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode