Looking for advice on the best transmission, 4R100 - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 99BoggerTJ, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 2330 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Looking for advice on the best transmission, 4R100

Hey hows it going. Well here is the story, my company bought a E550 toter home. Its 35 feet long, weighs 11,500 empty, and we tow a 36 foot gooseneck trailer with it. The trailer with 2 Jeeps on it weighs about 14000lbs. So this trans has to pull about 25,000 lbs. As far as we know its a normal 4R100, with 33,000 miles on it. So we want to upgrade it before it blows up.

Basically there is nothing wrong with it, so we want to pull it out, ship it to someone, have them build the crap out of it, and we can reinstall it.

This truck is only used for towing that heavy load, no racing, truck pulls, wheeling and or any otehr type of abuse.

So who has the best trannys, at the best prices. And what do you recommend.

Also what performance mods would you recommend? Its a 03 E550, basically same motor as any F series 7.3 diesel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Heres a pic. Ya ya we know, most of our buddies call it the circus wagon.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 11:11 PM

there are alot of trucks in st louis that are running bts trannys. they are nothing short of amazing. check them out at www.brianstruckshop.com they are in northern arkansas. great people brian and patty

2006 lariat fx4. Straight piped. SCT tuner.

SLAPS MEMBER

SINGLES MEMBER #125
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 11:28 PM

Agreed, BTS! I love mine and they are great folks to deal with once you get ahold of them. When you call them, keep trying till you get them. They have a first class shop and a super work team on staff. :Thumbup:

'00 cc f 350 a few mods, and a bts tranny.

Wet concrete, Hot Asphalt And Life Wait for no one
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 12:17 AM

Bts...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 12:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to moose99psd
hey adam! did jeffy send you overhere? i agree BTS
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Ya Jeff told us about it. To be honest, I looked at the website and it wasn't very impressive. But Im not buying a website, Im looking for a bulletproof tranny, thats why I'm on here asking actual customers their opinions.

Thanks everyone, I will definately give them a call and see what they have to offer.

Adam
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99BoggerTJ
Hey hows it going. Well here is the story, my company bought a E550 toter home. Its 35 feet long, weighs 11,500 empty, and we tow a 36 foot gooseneck trailer with it. The trailer with 2 Jeeps on it weighs about 14000lbs. So this trans has to pull about 25,000 lbs. As far as we know its a normal 4R100, with 33,000 miles on it. So we want to upgrade it before it blows up.
Heat is going to be the hardest on a heavy tow rig. More so with your rig having a high profile and the van grille. It's not going to blow from heavy tow if you change fluid reg, keep temps normal and check cooler flow with atf changes. Unless it was used to climb steep grades all the time with high heat cycles, it should have many more miles to go than 33,000. You could put in a temp gauge, than larger cooler as needed if nothings wrong now.

Piston seal life will do in anybodys build in time. They are nitrile and like hydraulic cylinders begin to leak with time and heat speeds the wear process. Brittleness sets in, apply sealing is lost and shows up as a slip. Just like a manual transmission will need a clutch disc, you can't avoid wear and seal brittleness. Death and taxes for an automatic transmission.

The coast clutch is a weak spot for heavy tow. You can test it by canceling od and see how well it brakes the engine. If it's down shifting and slowing down the truck it's working right. Check converter for shudder when it locks. If good, then you may as well wait until you need a rebuild and save the $ instead. That would start the clock ticking on new seals then, instead of now. A shift kit or VB works well for keeping heat on frictions and piston seals down with a faster shift. Good for extending tranny life. A clogged cooler will cut off lube oil and make her blow. If you pass a flow test, tow on.

If your adding bigger injectors, fuel, racing, chip, etc like Diesel Dog, then you have a legitimate concern of higher rpm's breaking transmission parts on an otherwise good tranny. Whatever you decide a tranny temp gauge is $ well spent. High temp reading will alert you of lube cutoff from a clogged cooler.
I pull right around 30K. Weight breaks down as follows: JD 450 bull dozer 14.5K, Goose trailer 5.5K empty wt, truck fuel and cargo. Big cooler, transgo kit, and maintance and it's alive and well with 205K. Flat ground helps, stopping is a bear. My dually had a bad tranny when i bought it. Ford's outsourced rebuild was toast. Got a good deal due to that .
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99BoggerTJ
Ya Jeff told us about it. To be honest, I looked at the website and it wasn't very impressive. But Im not buying a website, Im looking for a bulletproof tranny, thats why I'm on here asking actual customers their opinions.

Thanks everyone, I will definately give them a call and see what they have to offer.

Adam
They have champange shop with a beer budget website.

Brian's shop is one sweet setup, he has the bays for installing the tranny's, an inhouse dyno, and when he builds the tranny's he goes into the "surgery" area, one room that was designed to do one thing in, build tranny's, no tools needed to build the tranny leave that room, nothing else is done in that room, only tranny parts are in that room, and when Brian starts the surgery, he don't quit until the patient is whole and ready to be released.

While your there, have Cale get a chip for the truck ready, and then slap it in and take it for a run, and see if you like it....you won't want to remove it once its in there.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 04:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ash_flat_diesel
This is great! I am a short distance from Brians Shop & have never heard about it!! One day into my memebership & already finding great things!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode