2000 7.3 power stroke trouble - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by rckhrdford, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 826 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

2000 7.3 power stroke trouble

I own a 2000 7.3 power stroke 4x4 dually crew cab. The truck is really running rough when it is cold. There is no top end in the turbo until it gets warm. Even when it is warm it is rough at 2000-2400 rpm. What could the problem be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

There are a number of possible causes, you may have more than one, or something unusual that I do not mention...

Sticking EBP (Exhaust Back Pressure) valve.
Normal injector wear.
Old oil (changing the oil with a GOOD QUALITY Diesel oil fixes a lot of cold running problems).
Bad glow plug(s), this is unusual, they are normally good for the life of the vehicle.
Bad glow plug relay - not allowing full voltage to the GPs, so they don't get as hot as they should.
Air in the fuel - possible, but does not fit your symptoms exactly.
Sensor problem - if some sensors do not work properly, you can have odd running problems.
Bad electrical connection at battery, fuse(s), anywhere that affects the engine computer.

These are some of the things I would look at first.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks John G I'll try the oil change as I think it might be overdue. This site is the best around.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 04:02 PM

I have a similar problem in the 1400 1800 rpm range that wasn't help by fresh oil and filter also on a 2000 7.3 only in the cold even if I plug it in. Does yours also sound like a small air hose has come loose under the hood during the power loss rpm range like mine? Or is my problem completely different? This site rules!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 06:11 PM
4cstr

That air hose sound is the exhaust slipping by the closed exhaust back pressure valve. The computer closes that valve to help the engine warm up. There are times when its really cold my valve will never open while driving around. Makes the truck act like a dog. And with a free flow exhaust...sounds like a 747 getting ready to take off.

So in other words...its supposed to sound like that.

Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode