Pulsating lights - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by ELKHUNTR, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 593 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Pulsating lights

I have a pulsating light issue, dome lights, head lights dash all of them. My truck is a factory dual alternator and both are working fine, I find I can load the charging system with all available accessories and it does not get better or worse, Ac, fan on high all lights on, stereo with two huge amps cranked up. I put a meter on the truck and get about a 3/10th volt pulse approx. 14.5-14.7 or so at the alt post or battery post but the lights really go to town, lights off no pulse.

There were two other guys with the same problem on another forum with the same issue both single Alt. trucks, but never learned any more. One more point, this problem is at least 8 months and 11,000 miles since first noticed and RPMs dont seem to make a big difference (very Subtle).

Anyone out there run into this before?

Thanks,
Josh

Josh

2000 F350 PSD CC 4X4 AT LWB 3.73s 173,000AFE STAGE I, TN.BB, EIS 200CC HYBRIDS F5 DP TUNER 4" TURBO BACK, AEROTURBINE 4040XL, 5" STACKS, ISSPRO GAUGES,PRE AND POST TURBO PYRO, SCANGAUGE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 04:30 PM

I have pulsating headlights after hitting a large bump. I need to check for loose connections and grounds. Your issue sounds to me like a bad voltage regulator. I have dual alts too, but am not sure how the voltage regulator is set up. (one in each alt or one external)

'00 cc f 350 a few mods, and a bts tranny.

Wet concrete, Hot Asphalt And Life Wait for no one
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with the voltage regulator being bad. But you have TWO, and the question is, which one.

Disconnect the regulator wire (quick connect) on the easiest one to reach, that will disable that alternator. If the problem still exists, it is the OTHER one at fault. Obviously, if it is now fixed, you found the culprit.

BTW, the regulators can be replaced inexpensively in your garage, if you can change oil, you can do this and save $250 on a "rebuilt" alternator.

If you decide because of time, mileage, or use that you should have a rebilt replacement, I STRONGLY suggest you look in the phone book for a LOCAL rebuilder (most auto machine shops can do this, or tell you where), and use them. It will NOT cost you more $$, and you get a better product.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks JohnG, I will check it tomorrow while I am under the hood changing my GPR that convenently gave out on me today.

Josh

2000 F350 PSD CC 4X4 AT LWB 3.73s 173,000AFE STAGE I, TN.BB, EIS 200CC HYBRIDS F5 DP TUNER 4" TURBO BACK, AEROTURBINE 4040XL, 5" STACKS, ISSPRO GAUGES,PRE AND POST TURBO PYRO, SCANGAUGE.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode