Intermittent Stalling - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Harry Nadz, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 3610 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Intermittent Stalling

Have a 2001 F250 PSD 4X4, 6spd manual with approx. 135,000 miles.
A couple of weeks ago in cold weather (25 degrees) truck started to perform extremely sluggish. Changed the fuel filter and truck seemed to be fine. Last week on a trip about 200 miles out the truck began to stall at an idle. Because I was out in the middle of no where I feathered the gas to prevent stalling and drove to the nearest town. The service engine soon light came on immediately and truck was running sluggish. When I got to the nearest town I turned the truck off and re-started, the sevice engine soon light was off and the truck ran fine to my destination ( about 900 miles).

On the trip back it started to act up again. When I would pull off the freeway and come to an idle the truck would stall and service engine soon light would appear. I would turn key off and re-start service engine light would go off would have to feather the gas to keep from stalling and get back on freeway. Seemed to run okay at freeway speeds although my mileage suffered a bit compared to my trip down, about 2 .5 mpg less; could have been the headwind against me ?

The problem has been intermittent since, sometimes stalling at idle sometimes not.

Any ideas.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 11:43 AM

If the check engine light came on it should have set codes. Sounds kind of like a CPS, but I've not heard of one only shutting off the truck at idle.

Maybe a TPS?:shrug:

'00 cc f 350 a few mods, and a bts tranny.

Wet concrete, Hot Asphalt And Life Wait for no one
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

So a cps always will shut the truck off at any speed ?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRSA
So a cps always will shut the truck off at any speed ?
No. A bad CPS will not ALWAYS shut the engine off, it can cause low power, misfire, and sluggish or no throttle response.

The symptoms described above are completely consistant with a failing CPS.

When the PCM completely loses CPS signal, it will cause the engine to stall no matter the road or engine speed. However, when the CPS signal is just "weak" or intermittant (this is often worse as the engine gets warmer), the PCM can keep the engine running - sort of. With a M/T equipped vehicle, the truck will keep the engine turning fast enough, and often long enough, for the PCM to reaquire a good CPS signal, and it "stalls out" but then runs again seemingly ok.

It is uncommon to have a code associated with CPS failure, but ones that you *could* see are "ICP above expected with the engine off", "ICP not correct for operating conditions" etc.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Replaced the CPS and so far the truck has been behaving wonderfully. Thanks
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 09:32 PM

Same thing happend to mine and cps cured it!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 05:52 PM

I'm having a similar issue to the original poster... but... I have the purple CPS from International and put it in about a year ago. I've checked codes, and nothing was stored. I'm changing fuel filter and going from there, but anyone have any direction on any of signs of a bad ICM or similar problem? It happens most often coming "off power"... i.e. say the cruise control is on, we pull a hill, then the truck goes to throttle down for the other side and it stalls... or sitting at a light. Not always, not reproducible and not always with cruise. I have the old CPS, and might give that a try if the filter doesn't help. The truck is an 01, has 245000 give or take.

2001 Extended Cab F250 4x4, Long Bed, Automatic, ATS Housing, Edge Juice with Attitude, Edge Evolution, Ford AIS, 4" Pro-Flo Exhaust, ISSPro 3 Gauge kit from Dieselmanor, Warn Manual Hub Locks
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 07:26 PM

Changed filter and it was nasty... only 5K beyond when I should have changed it though. We'll see if this works. Any other suggestions are welcome.

2001 Extended Cab F250 4x4, Long Bed, Automatic, ATS Housing, Edge Juice with Attitude, Edge Evolution, Ford AIS, 4" Pro-Flo Exhaust, ISSPro 3 Gauge kit from Dieselmanor, Warn Manual Hub Locks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode