Deadhead to Regulated Return - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by ndrorydr, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 1568 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Deadhead to Regulated Return

Had some diagnostics run on my ailing early 99. Looks as if the injectors are growing weaker by the moment; especially #3. Which explains the harder and harder starting over the past year and most recently some very rough running. So I'll be contacting Darrell at Diesel Performance Plus to get a set of Stage I single shots. Then contact DP Tuner to get a PMT1 PCM and F5 tuner..YAHOO!!!

Anyway, since I'm going to be replacing the injectors, I'm thinking also of eliminating the deadhead issue. I've seen some regulated return kits for a little over $400. This seems a bit steep for some hose and a regulator. Had anyone done their own regulated return kit? I can't imagine the parts costing more than $100.

Tim

Early 99 Crew Cab Long Bed Lariat 4x4 7.3L PSD Primary Horse Hauling Rig
-Stage 1 160cc Single Shot Injectors - DP Tuner F5 - 60 Tow, 80 Econo, High Idle, Stock - NVK5 PCM thanks to DP Tuner
-Home Brew fuel system with Aeroquip socketless fittings, socketless hose, and Aeromotive Regulated Return
-4" Lift 285/75R16 E Nitto Dura Grapplers - 5" MKO Aluminized Exhaust w/6" Stainless Tip - Pair of Optima Red Tops - Napa 6637 Air Intake filter - Triple Gauge A-pillar Pod w/Autometer UltraLite:Trans, EGT, Boost - CCV Mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 05:03 AM
KRP

People have built there own set-ups, there isn't a whole lot to them. The regulator is going to cost you more than $100 though. If you've got the time to piece things together, go for it. You can probably do it for a little less cash, but it will take a lot more time.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 01:34 PM

Check out the link My TDG Gallery in my sig. I installed a complete system on my obs which changed to a electric SD pump and the works. I have detailed descripions of each picture with part numbers and some good info for doing fuel system stuff.

I do know ITP has a pretty cool adaptor that they will sell seperatly that bolts onto the filter cannister of the SD trucks for a reg return. Other than that you pretty much can get the parts from a racing supply store. Take a look at what the ITP kit comes with to get an idea of what you will need also because it looks like one of the slickest setups for the SD.

I bought my Aeromotive regulator off of ebay. Type in the part number in the ebay search and you should find the company that sells them new for around 130 shipped.

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually My TDG Gallery
B codes, head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, stock turbo w/ 1.00 turbine housing
6.0 IC, NAPA 6637 air filter, AeroTurbine 4040XL, ITP Overboost Annihilator,
Quadzilla Commander, electric fuel system w/ regulated return
coolant filter, 203* thermostat
Dually Club Member #53

346.7HP, 852.1TQ 12/15/07 Greeley, CO w/ stage 1 injectors and Wildman tunes
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Your thread a while back when you did the fuel system really struck my interest. That and my research about running vegi. I'm over the vegi thing for now, but really want to redo the fuel system since I'll be installing new injectors. Where did you get the line adapters that the filter screw on to?

-Stage 1 160cc Single Shot Injectors - DP Tuner F5 - 60 Tow, 80 Econo, High Idle, Stock - NVK5 PCM thanks to DP Tuner
-Home Brew fuel system with Aeroquip socketless fittings, socketless hose, and Aeromotive Regulated Return
-4" Lift 285/75R16 E Nitto Dura Grapplers - 5" MKO Aluminized Exhaust w/6" Stainless Tip - Pair of Optima Red Tops - Napa 6637 Air Intake filter - Triple Gauge A-pillar Pod w/Autometer UltraLite:Trans, EGT, Boost - CCV Mod
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 02:24 AM

Lots of guys have built their own fuel systems, but they tend to do it differently than what your prolly finding online.

They are going with LARGE frame mounted fuel filters, upgraded pumps, regulator, and discarding all of the crap in the valley of the engine.

Also, if you ever decide to go with twin HPOP big oil setups, some require you to ditch the stock fuel bowl, others are just easier to install if the stock bowl is gone.

I have the ITP diesel kit, and I like it. Alot. I didnt realize how badly my truck was starving for fuel until I installed it, along with an electric fuel presure gauge for in the cab monitoring of fuel pressure.

The price your paying for the ITP kit is worth it. You get all the CORRECT fittings, all in one box. Otherwise its kinda a headache to get the right fittings, the right hoses, and ITPs kit has CNC bent stainless lines in any critical areas. Its a quality kit and I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one, just in frustration saving!

But that said, if you have access to a decent line and fitting company, and know your fittings pretty well, its not difficult to do yourself, but again, its the diesel safe regulator that costs so much.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 03:04 AM
Ol Dirt Contractor

If you’re going to leave the stock fuel bowl I would go with the ITP kit from Dennis. One trip to the fitting and hose shop and you will know why a pre thought out kit is cheap.

I’m doing a couple of OBS fuel systems now. Bronco tank, 5/8” pickup, -10 an lines, fuel wye, Fass, Aeromotive or SD pump, Aeromotive regulator, gauge, etc. Parts about $1500 per truck or more.

:bow:

I was Anti-Obama before it was cool!
Leno: ‘Remember the Old Days When Obama’s Biggest Embarrassment Was Joe Biden'

Ernie Hasse+ Bill Gaither America Medley
XCR 800cc Polaris Triple with Turbo, Nitrous & RMI
96 F250 7.3 Hypermax Stage III’s, H2 for now, Wide Open Performance long block. Spearco Intercooler 4” downpipe Suncoast Tranny, Terminator Oil
Newest--2015 Black VW Golf SportWagen TDI DSG Nav Roof 18" Avignon's Valentine One
Early 99 F250 SD 7.3 almost stock for now
87 Turbo Intercooled T-Bird stock
98 379 Pete 15.8L CAT 3406E 5DS Borg Warner 175963 Turbo P5 Nathan Horns Johnson Matthey 600 HP DPF 2017 CA registered emissions legal
More Milwaukee V28 Tools than Tim Allen has!
Remember, nozzle size matters at the pump
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrorydr
Your thread a while back when you did the fuel system really struck my interest. That and my research about running vegi. I'm over the vegi thing for now, but really want to redo the fuel system since I'll be installing new injectors. Where did you get the line adapters that the filter screw on to?
Sorry about not replying earlier. I must have missed it.

They are both Napa filter #4770 or Wix 14770

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually My TDG Gallery
B codes, head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, stock turbo w/ 1.00 turbine housing
6.0 IC, NAPA 6637 air filter, AeroTurbine 4040XL, ITP Overboost Annihilator,
Quadzilla Commander, electric fuel system w/ regulated return
coolant filter, 203* thermostat
Dually Club Member #53

346.7HP, 852.1TQ 12/15/07 Greeley, CO w/ stage 1 injectors and Wildman tunes
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks, got all the filters and bases from Napa. Now to visit Doug Herberts to get the AN fittings, regulator, and hoses for the top of the engine.

Tim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode