head gasket - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by DieselDadio, this thread has received 13 replies and been viewed 1009 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Question head gasket

took the schools 97 e-350 12 pas shuttle bus to the shop for a fuel leak in the valley of death i thought it was blue lines under fuel filter, regulater they said it was that and the head gasket leaking fuel into the valley . there is no antifreeze in oil ,oil in antifreeze ,or fuel in either only fuel in valley can the head gasket leak fuel?
thanks kirk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 12:53 AM
Destroked

I cant really see how, did they check the lines and the rubber gromnets on the lines going to the heads???? They can start leaking.

'04.5 Chevy 2500HD LLY,Alli, CC, SB, 4x4, Sleeved, Braced, FASS, 4" SS Silverline exh, EGR Blocker, all thanks to MA, EFI Live tuning by me with Edge CTS switching DSP5 tunes, 68mm Danville turbo, ARP Studs with "C" gaskets, Transgo Jr., 20x9 Diamo Karat 8's wrapped in Terra Grapplers, Superlift AAL in rear, Ride Rite Air Bags, some stainless........yeah it shines.

2002 VW Jetta GLS TDI, auto, 18x8 ASA AR3 wheels with Goodyear Eagle GT's
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

They lie.

There is NO FUEL at all that runs anywhere near the headgasket, nor THRU it, so it could not possibally leak from one either.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 05:17 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to gtspowerstroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_G
They lie.

There is NO FUEL at all that runs anywhere near the headgasket, nor THRU it, so it could not possibally leak from one either.
Agreed! Fuel doen'st even run anywhere under the gasket until it's injected by the injector. Take the van away from that shop right away! They obviously have no clue what they are talking about. Get some superclean or something and spray the entire area down then spray it all down with a hose and get it nice and clean. Start it up and watch it. If it's not leaking fast enough sitting there idleing take it for a short drive and check it again. Check and make sure it's got the triangular gasket on the fuel bowl lid. NAPA and some other places that you get filters from don't come with the right gasket and they will leak.

'96 F-250 Extended Cab, GT'S injectors, GT'S intercooler install kit, custom turbo kit with a little HX40, Swamp's BIGEST oil.
466 on #2 only
739 with N˛O

13.544 in 1/4 mi!

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford

Yeah I can keep up!:Thumbup:
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Ol Dirt Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDadio
took the schools 97 e-350 12 pas shuttle bus to the shop for a fuel leak in the valley of death i thought it was blue lines under fuel filter, regulater they said it was that and the head gasket leaking fuel into the valley . there is no antifreeze in oil ,oil in antifreeze ,or fuel in either only fuel in valley can the head gasket leak fuel?
thanks kirk
Sounds like a pathetic excuse to make a leak in the school districts pocketbook doing a complete engine change.

My neighbor came over with a steering noise on his 4wd F250. I looked at the front knuckle joints and sure enough they were junk. He went to the local Ford dealer and the service manager wrote up “knucle joints”. When he got the truck back they told him it wasn’t the knuckle joints but the front driveline. Sent him off with a $500 bill for a driveline. Now he sez it’s still making the noise.. Oh well..:shrug:

I was Anti-Obama before it was cool!
Leno: ‘Remember the Old Days When Obama’s Biggest Embarrassment Was Joe Biden'

Ernie Hasse+ Bill Gaither America Medley
XCR 800cc Polaris Triple with Turbo, Nitrous & RMI
96 F250 7.3 Hypermax Stage III’s, H2 for now, Wide Open Performance long block. Spearco Intercooler 4” downpipe Suncoast Tranny, Terminator Oil
Newest--2015 Black VW Golf SportWagen TDI DSG Nav Roof 18" Avignon's Valentine One
Early 99 F250 SD 7.3 almost stock for now
87 Turbo Intercooled T-Bird stock
98 379 Pete 15.8L CAT 3406E 5DS Borg Warner 175963 Turbo P5 Nathan Horns Johnson Matthey 600 HP DPF 2017 CA registered emissions legal
More Milwaukee V28 Tools than Tim Allen has!
Remember, nozzle size matters at the pump
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

thats kinda what i said to the head of the school i usually take care of this unit but i cant work under the hood on the van ive tried im not as "svelt" as i used to be . this is a small private Christian School i was tring to help by not doing it outside in the weather dec 21 the first of many snow storms here in denver area. i will suggest to the head of the school to pull it and go to another shop
thanks kirk
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

went to the shop to day and they showed me were it was leaking from they had removed the turbo and there it was looking up to the front of the engine on the left (driver side) valley side of head rite at the back corner between the head and block was the leak only when running just leaks no spray. when you park it over nite after driving it, it leaves a stain about the size of dinner plate any ideas?
thanks kirk
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 12:27 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to gtspowerstroke
Make sure it's not leaking from up higher and running down to that point. There is no pressure in that area to be forceing fuel out unless it's comming from the fitting higher up in the head.

'96 F-250 Extended Cab, GT'S injectors, GT'S intercooler install kit, custom turbo kit with a little HX40, Swamp's BIGEST oil.
466 on #2 only
739 with N˛O

13.544 in 1/4 mi!

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford

Yeah I can keep up!:Thumbup:
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 01:12 AM
Ol Dirt Contractor

The head gasket cannot be the source, no fuel touches the head gasket until it’s sprayed from the injector in the cylinder. At that point it’s not in the wet state because compression causes it to ignite.

There’s a fuel fitting on each end of the head at the highest point, 1/8” npt. Prolly the line or cap nut at that point.. Another one of Ford’s fuel system follies..

I was Anti-Obama before it was cool!
Leno: ‘Remember the Old Days When Obama’s Biggest Embarrassment Was Joe Biden'

Ernie Hasse+ Bill Gaither America Medley
XCR 800cc Polaris Triple with Turbo, Nitrous & RMI
96 F250 7.3 Hypermax Stage III’s, H2 for now, Wide Open Performance long block. Spearco Intercooler 4” downpipe Suncoast Tranny, Terminator Oil
Newest--2015 Black VW Golf SportWagen TDI DSG Nav Roof 18" Avignon's Valentine One
Early 99 F250 SD 7.3 almost stock for now
87 Turbo Intercooled T-Bird stock
98 379 Pete 15.8L CAT 3406E 5DS Borg Warner 175963 Turbo P5 Nathan Horns Johnson Matthey 600 HP DPF 2017 CA registered emissions legal
More Milwaukee V28 Tools than Tim Allen has!
Remember, nozzle size matters at the pump
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

where i saw it was rite below that fitting but it was not washed clean like the corner is and they as well thought the fitting was leaking they said they have never seen a leak there before they are not believing it either could the head have cracked? could it be leaking from the intake? it is just above that corner. could the head have cracked inside below that fuel fitting ? can you turn it over without starting it to see if it will leak(how) the turbo is off ?
the evidence seems to point to that spot.
thanks kirk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode