I need Turbo 101 - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by D-Man, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 793 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

I need Turbo 101

I am going to order a DP tuner chip but already have turbo surge. So I want to upgrade to relieve this problem. Jody said to get an ATS ported shroud, but I thought if I could get a new turbo at a good price I would go that route. I do not understand these .84 and 1.00 numbers I am hearing about and then I also hear talk of an ATS housing with an exhaust housing using these numbers. Does a new turbo come with this exhaust housing they are talking about? Do I want a turbo with .84 or 1.00. I'll have to admit I am a bit confused. Can you guys give me the basics of what this is all about.
I would really appreciate it as I want to make an upgrade purchase but want to make it a final purchase and not find out I need something esle. Thanks in advance.

2006 Dodge Laramie Quad cab 4X4 muffler delete, that's it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 12:38 AM

.84 and 1.00 are the aspect ratios of the housings, wether it be a exhaust or compressor housing. A .84 exhaust housing will spool quicker but the drive pressures will be higher, and max boost MAY suffer. A 1.00 exhaust housing will spool somewhat slower but the drive pressures will be lower. In your case you need to think about how far you want to go... Are you going to want injectors later? Nos? Dual HPOP's??? Thats the thing... If your going to go farther then a chip then get a turbo, if not a ATS housing will do the trick! Should have been on the truck stock...

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 01:21 AM

ATS housings go on pretty easily, most important tools are a 8mm or 5/16 12 point socket and a swivel. The stock compressor housing on mine was a 1.0 A/R, and the exhaust is a .84 wastegated model. Ill eventually go to a 1.15 A/R non wastegated model, and get a new pedestal to eliminate my EBPV.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 04:01 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to gtspowerstroke
D-man first you need to decide how far you are wanting to go and how much money you want to spend. The ATS compressor housing is a bandaid for the stock turbo. If you really want to get an upgrade go for an upgraded drop in turbo. You can get an HTPS for a bit cheaper than you can get a ball bearing for but the ball bearing turbo is going to spool up a little quicker. Both turbos are pretty much the same performance wise other than the spool up will be slightly slower on the HTPS. If you plan on a chip either of these would be a good choice. If you plan on ever doing anything more like injectors then I'd say it's a minimum.

The 1.0 or .84 is the A/R or Area/Radius of the housing. It is the ratio between the cross sectional area (area) to the center line of the volute of the housing to the center of the turo shaft (radius). The smaller the number the smaller the area in the volute and therefore it increases the velocity of the air hitting the turbine blades making it spin faster quicker. The draw back to this is the smaller area creates more restriction at higher volumes of exhaust gases causeing excessive drive (or back pressure) and it causes overspooling of the turbo resulting in premature turbo failure. And the reverse is true fo the larger the number the larger the area. This slows down the exhaust gases hitting the turbine wheel so it takes longer to get it spooling. However at higher exhaust volumes such as high rpm WOT situations it doesn't become a bottle neck causeing the above mentioned problems. Now if you take that smaller housing it will make the turbo spool fast and couple it with a wastegate the wastegate will bypass the excess pressure past the turbo. Therefore you kind of get the best of both worlds. You get the quick spool up and you relive the excess pressure on top. This makes the set up MUCH more tuneable for the desired situations.

The smaller housings generally work really well in daily driven vehicles and for people who tow a lot that need that low end grunt and quick throttle response and driveability. The larger housings such for response but work good on the top end for racing and sled pulling.

'96 F-250 Extended Cab, GT'S injectors, GT'S intercooler install kit, custom turbo kit with a little HX40, Swamp's BIGEST oil.
466 on #2 only
739 with NČO

13.544 in 1/4 mi!

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford

Yeah I can keep up!:Thumbup:
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtspowerstroke
D-man first you need to decide how far you are wanting to go and how much money you want to spend. The ATS compressor housing is a bandaid for the stock turbo. If you really want to get an upgrade go for an upgraded drop in turbo. You can get an HTPS for a bit cheaper than you can get a ball bearing for but the ball bearing turbo is going to spool up a little quicker. Both turbos are pretty much the same performance wise other than the spool up will be slightly slower on the HTPS. If you plan on a chip either of these would be a good choice. If you plan on ever doing anything more like injectors then I'd say it's a minimum.

The 1.0 or .84 is the A/R or Area/Radius of the housing. It is the ratio between the cross sectional area (area) to the center line of the volute of the housing to the center of the turo shaft (radius). The smaller the number the smaller the area in the volute and therefore it increases the velocity of the air hitting the turbine blades making it spin faster quicker. The draw back to this is the smaller area creates more restriction at higher volumes of exhaust gases causeing excessive drive (or back pressure) and it causes overspooling of the turbo resulting in premature turbo failure. And the reverse is true fo the larger the number the larger the area. This slows down the exhaust gases hitting the turbine wheel so it takes longer to get it spooling. However at higher exhaust volumes such as high rpm WOT situations it doesn't become a bottle neck causeing the above mentioned problems. Now if you take that smaller housing it will make the turbo spool fast and couple it with a wastegate the wastegate will bypass the excess pressure past the turbo. Therefore you kind of get the best of both worlds. You get the quick spool up and you relive the excess pressure on top. This makes the set up MUCH more tuneable for the desired situations.

The smaller housings generally work really well in daily driven vehicles and for people who tow a lot that need that low end grunt and quick throttle response and driveability. The larger housings such for response but work good on the top end for racing and sled pulling.

Thank you for the correction! No really... I knew I could learn from you. Now go get some more gauges...: :Thumbup:

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
Thank you for the correction! No really... I knew I could learn from you. Now go get some more gauges...: :Thumbup:
Naa. I got all the gauges I NEED. And I don't need to make my truck look like one of those little ricers driving around that think they're cool becaue they made their interior look like a cocpit with a bunch of redundant gauges so they get the same readings any direction they look. : : laugh laugh

'96 F-250 Extended Cab, GT'S injectors, GT'S intercooler install kit, custom turbo kit with a little HX40, Swamp's BIGEST oil.
466 on #2 only
739 with NČO

13.544 in 1/4 mi!

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtspowerstroke

Don't new turbo's come with wastgates? Can I use the factory wastegate?
I will probably not be doing any more perf. mods other than a chip. So, I will probably go the .84 wastegated route. But, If I were to find a 1.00 for a good price, would I be happy with that one also? I want to get what will work for me but I also don't want to spend more than I need to so I am going to shop for some deals.
Hence, back to my original ?, would the ATS housing be enough in your opinion, just to save some bucks? Thanks again for you help, it is much appreciated!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

What do you think of the Turbonetics turbo and what size housing does that have? I found a brand new one for 800 dollars, if it is still avail.
Thanks again.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 05:11 PM

I don't know a whole lot about the Turbonetics turbo but from what I hear of it it sounds pretty decent. I think it comes with a 1.0 turbine housing on it. That housing would probably work just fine for you. A .84 housing WITH the wastegate might work very well for you if you especially if you are more concerned with low to mid range power and drivability. If you can pick up a new one for $800 I'd probably go that route.

466 on #2 only
739 with NČO

13.544 in 1/4 mi!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 07:02 AM

You can get either housing for the TN.
In fact, the stock 84 should fit on it, if I'm not mistaken.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode