Early '99 Mods-Owner has Brain Freeze - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by memcgrath, this thread has received 23 replies and been viewed 876 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Early '99 Mods-Owner has Brain Freeze

I really need some help here! I'm new to PSD and have recently bought an early '99 350 srw cc 4x4 6 speed. I have read everything I can get my hands, I think. When looking at mods I just get more and more confused about what I need or if I need any. So...I thought I would just explain what I need from this truck and see if you guys could suggest what I need. Not just mods but anything!

I've read up the difference between the '99 and the '99.5 but it dosen't compute in practical, workable terms. Maybe someone can explain all the problems I have, or will have because of model date (May '98) because I really want to fix this stuff before I'm stuck in the Baja with my wife and a murder charge looming.
So here goes...

I want reliable, economical, practical, necessary performance.
I'm too old to race anything, this truck will will spend as much time off road as on. I will carry a 1800lb cab over camper and pull another 1/2 to 1 ton trailer at times.
I don't want to crawl up hills, and I don't want to die because I can't stop going down them. I do my own work and can manage most everything that anybody with trashed back can. I have already put an AFe intake on this and have an MBRP 4" turbo back in the garage for this week. Some of my questions are...
Do I need a new turbo?
What about injectors, new 99.5 pedetal, wastegate, bypass oil, on and on and on...Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 03:31 PM

I would get some gauges. EGT, and boost. Put the EGT gauge pre turbo. Then I would get a chip. A wildman chip, or DP tuner or Elite Diesel. They are all great chips. I am betting after that you would be really happy with the performance. Then do some of the easy nearly free mods. For you I would turn you EBPV into and exhaust brake. Very easy to do.

Kyle
Early 99 F-250SD 7.3 PSD 4x4. Auto, tymar type intake, straight pipe, Six inch stacks, Tony Wildman Four position chip, Street race, 80 Tow, 80 Econo, Extreme. Let the smoke roll. Upgraded torque converter. Autometer Ultralights on the Pillar. Running Cooper Discover STT's.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 03:32 PM

It just depends on where you want to go with it. A good tune from Jody at DPTunner would be a good start. From there the addiction will only grow.........

A tune will make the truck run like it should have when it left the factory. Hows the tranny with all that towing?

'00 cc f 350 a few mods, and a bts tranny.

Wet concrete, Hot Asphalt And Life Wait for no one
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

free mods?

thanks, so far you have esed any urgency to spend a bunch of money. I've read a lot of praise in this forum about Jody(?) Is that the tuner person? Where would I go about finding the EB conversion and free mods?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

DD,
Not sure on the tranny yet..,Haven't hooked it all up yet. Should I be concerned?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 03:46 PM

If it's an auto with any kind of mileage on it I would be. I tow almost daily, and a big part of my performance and reliability centered around my tranny. I went with a BTS tranny. Till you expiriance the differance over stock you wont believe it.

Yes Jody is DP tunner.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

it has plenty of miles on it 186 as of yesterday. Do the manual tranny's have a history of issues that I should know about? I know this must have pulled it's share. it had a gn hitch on it when I bought it.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 03:53 PM

Sorry I thought you were an auto.........

The manuals hold up well. Had one with 210k plowed snow and only 1 clutch.

When you have a minute, fill out your signature so we can see what you have and better spend you'r money.

I read over your post, but look in sigs for truck info My bad.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

will do. thanks for the help.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2007, 05:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to moose99psd
for you to put a new turbo on that truck it gets kinda costly because nothing is the same as the 99.5 as far as the turbo goes.. but you dont need things like a wicked wheel because we allready have one.. so ontop of 1600+ for just the turbo expect to spend another 600 or so for the rest of the parts to swap it in unless u can find them all used from some1. i agree with got diesel.. spdiesel makes an exhaust break setup that ive seen work and it works AWESOME.. you can pm csipsd about it he has one and loves it.. another mod no matter whose chip you end up going with is getting rid of the xle program computer and going with a pmt or nvk program computer.. the characteristics are like night and day.. even though you are running a handshaker..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode