truck boggs down and loses power at low rpm - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by ford_truck_1976, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 1436 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

truck boggs down and loses power at low rpm

hey guys. ill apoligise for writing a novel in advance so here it goes.
my truck started acting up for the first time since i have owned it on my way to work today. since i started it up and took off this morning the motor felt like it was bogging down and losing power between 1000-1500 rpm. when it started bogging down it felt and sounded like i had an exhaust brake or something, making kind of loud blatting sounds. when i give it a little more gas the tranny downshifts and the truck runs like normal. it acted like this all the way to work which is about 5 miles from home, and to lunch and back about 6 miles. the wierd thing is that it never acted up once on my way home. i even tried to make it do it again and i could not. i dont know if it could be a fuel issue like a bad filter, or could the ebpv be stuck or shorted out?:shrug: all i know is that its damn annoying and im no mechanic lol. please help me guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 01:49 AM

I have no idea what the problem actually is, but my truck does the same thing. I have noticed that it only does it when the temp outside is below about 38, and then only if I don't plug it in. Not much help I know, but you are not alone with this strange event. :shrug:
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 01:57 AM
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #77

Nothing to worry about on either truck. Your truck has an Exhaust Back Pressure Valve (EBPV) in the plumbing on the turbo. At low temps and low RPM's it will close partially to help warm the motor up quicker. The hissing sound you are hearing is just part of the deal.

1999.5 PSD, 4x4, Auto trans, 6.0 Trans cooler, ZooDad Mod, ISSPRO Trans - boost - EGT gauges, Wicked Wheel, 5inch Stainless tip, 315 75 17 BFG AT's, ProComp 9000's at the corners, Fumatomo Valve, Pooned tank, DP Tuner F5 w/ 80 tow, 80 econo, 120 race and permagrin!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 02:01 AM
KRP

EBPV

Clean the sensor and tube they get full of carbon and don't work properly sometimes. The sensors are known to go bad also. Reach under the turbo and move the valve by hand also and make sure it isn't sticking. When functioning properly the EBPV should open when the back pressure reaches a certain point, no matter what the temp.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

thanks guys im glad im not alone with this problem. the wierd thing is that i had my truck plugged in at home but the tempeture was in the low 20's. the temp was still in the low 30's on my way home from work and it never did it once even when i tried.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 03:35 AM
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #77

I don't know that you can make it do it when you want to with out settting it up to be an exhaust brake. I had the EBPV taken out of my 96 so I didn't have to deal with the valve any more. The sensor had gone bad and was going to cost me around $400 + labor if I remember right.

1999.5 PSD, 4x4, Auto trans, 6.0 Trans cooler, ZooDad Mod, ISSPRO Trans - boost - EGT gauges, Wicked Wheel, 5inch Stainless tip, 315 75 17 BFG AT's, ProComp 9000's at the corners, Fumatomo Valve, Pooned tank, DP Tuner F5 w/ 80 tow, 80 econo, 120 race and permagrin!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 04:32 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to gtspowerstroke
Sounds like it is working normally. When it gets cold out they will activate when you are at idle/low throttle crusing conditions. Then when you give it a little throttle it will open up and run normally. It will even start doing it if it's fully up to operating temp but the outside air is very cold.

'96 F-250 Extended Cab, GT'S injectors, GT'S intercooler install kit, custom turbo kit with a little HX40, Swamp's BIGEST oil.
466 on #2 only
739 with NČO

13.544 in 1/4 mi!

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford

Yeah I can keep up!:Thumbup:
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

yeah that totally makes sense. it did it again today all the way home from work but it never did it this morning. it is snowing and in the high 20's today so hopefully it is the weather getting to it. i was just worried becaue this has never happend before, and i never noticed it ever happening in my dads 96 either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode