Down Pipes - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Steve McQueen, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 773 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Down Pipes

Just a quick question for the experts...

Are all down pipes for the OBS created equal? I know that some may have a little easier install but I've noticed quite a price difference amongst them when doing a little checking. I just don't want to get burned trying to save a few bucks?

Thanks in advance,

Zach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 04:59 PM

Nope, most of the differance is Aluminized to SS pipe and brand names...

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks a bunch, I'm thinking of ordering this one. So I shouldn't be scared about aluminum or stainless etc?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 05:08 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to gtspowerstroke
Some have different ends where it meets up to the rest of the exhaust. Hypermax has a 3.5" lower section and just a slip joint at the bottom so you have to cut the flang off the cat to install it. But it makes for a nicer install if going to a full 4" system. They are also one of the cheapest. Most all of the rest of them have the flange that bolts to the cat. Some have a bung welded in them for a pyro probe. Don't buy one based on that. You don't want the probe there anyway. You want it in the exhaust manifold.

'96 F-250 Extended Cab, GT'S injectors, GT'S intercooler install kit, custom turbo kit with a little HX40, Swamp's BIGEST oil.
466 on #2 only
739 with NČO

13.544 in 1/4 mi!

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford

Yeah I can keep up!:Thumbup:
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 06:14 PM

Choose your downpipe according to the final outcome of the exhaust system. What I mean is, if you're eventually going to install a whole system (home-made or a kit) just buy it now. When I installed my down pipe I chose one that bolted up to the cat, b/c I wanted to keep a stock system or eventually upgrade to a 4" system later on. A few years pass and I decide to go ahead and upgrade to 4". What I found is that no body makes a "cat-back" system for our OBS trucks. And all the systems I fond were turbo-back.... meaning that a down pipe was included. I ended up installing a 4" home made set-up after the cat & it was a complete PITA! If I were to to it again, I'm deffinately going w/ a kit that will bolt up.

Just my .02. Take it for what it's worth.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 06:31 PM

Magnaflow's kit is cat-back.

If you want the entire kit you have to ask for the downpipe as well. But if you just get the 4" SS exhaust for 94-97 PSD, it is cat back, and considerably cheaper than other comparable turbo-back kits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode