Originally Posted by D-Man
I have decided to buy a Garrett turbo but, I have heard talk about some issues. First of all, surge. I won't be towing anything large but will be getting programs up to 120 hp. Do I need to worry?
Second, oil leaking/burning issues. This truck is going to be my only mode of transport in the winter so I need reliability.
Are these two issues just isolated instances that I have heard about?
Please weigh in Thanks D man
1. Surge... Mine was BAD, some do it some don't. I don't know why some trucks surge worse then others but mine did bad. Empty, loaded, pulling it surged. Now after garret had it for a few MONTHS... I have a new one that just arrived at my house that has had some added porting done to it. I have been told this will stop the surge issues. I will be swapping turbos again for another try this weekend or next.
2. Oil leaks/ Oil burning... I feel this is 100% related to the CCV mod. Of the three trucks I have read about having oil issues (myself included) ALL ( READ ALL) have had some kind of CCV vent mod to a filter or into the exhaust. The oil seals on the BB must be very thin to allow the quick spool and any back pressure in the system... well the turbos oil seals are the weakest link. When I swapped to the TN unit after removing the Garret... guess what? My oil leak issues were still there. I removed the filter from my ccv mod and the oil leak stopped!
3. Here is my take at this point. The Garret can surge, will it? Maybe, maybe not. The TN unit DOES NOT SURGE. The Garret spools FAST! That's fun. The TN unit spools (with the 1.00ar exhaust housing) a little slow. Not bad, about on par with the stocker. The TN unit with the .84 housing spools quick, about as fast as the Garret. I still want to give the Garret another chance...
4. Garret is a throw away turbo... Once it is bad, throw it in the trash. It will cost about $700-900 to rebuild a Garret. A turbonetics can be rebuilt for about $100...
5. Garret warranty... SUCKS! I waited 3 MONTHS to get mine back
TN unit... well I have read about BOLTS going thru them and TN warrantied them...
Poster steps down off podium:Thumbup: