overdrive off problem! what is it??? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by dotson90, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 479 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Cummin' get ya some!

overdrive off problem! what is it???

i realized a little while back while i was driving that my overdrive off button on the end of the gear shifter isnt working and while im going down the road it does nothing and the light wont come on either.....anyone else had this problem?? i thought it could be a fuse but i checked it and it was fine...any clues to what this may be??

2001 Ford F-250 4X4 Extended Cab Lariat 7.3L Auto. EDGE EZ, Diablo Predator Programmer, 10k Mod, Foil Delete, ZooDad Mod, 4-in. Straight Custom Exhaust, 2 in. Blocks in front, 35 in. Pro-Comp Xtreme A/T, Rhino Lining in Bed, Limo Tint all the way around and thats about all....for now!

2000 VW Jetta TDI Manual 5 Spd. Bone Stock and averaging 45 mpg!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 10:56 PM

I had the same problem with my 96 when I bought it.
My uncle is a tech at a Ford dealership and said that the wire harness going to the switch is known for breaking the wires from tilting the steering wheel a lot. The other possibility is the switch in the end of the shifter is bad.

Mine ended up that some dumb a__ cut the power wire in the harnes going to the switch. He just soldered it up for me and it worked perfectly.

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually My TDG Gallery
B codes, head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, stock turbo w/ 1.00 turbine housing
6.0 IC, NAPA 6637 air filter, AeroTurbine 4040XL, ITP Overboost Annihilator,
Quadzilla Commander, electric fuel system w/ regulated return
coolant filter, 203* thermostat
Dually Club Member #53

346.7HP, 852.1TQ 12/15/07 Greeley, CO w/ stage 1 injectors and Wildman tunes
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2007, 11:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to moose99psd
yea its really common for those wires to short and u have a nice little smoke show from it.. can be a bit scary driving down the road and all of a sudden poof out comes the magic smoke..
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Cummin' get ya some!
Threadstarter

thanks for the replies....how can i get to these wires your talkin about to see if thats the problem

2001 Ford F-250 4X4 Extended Cab Lariat 7.3L Auto. EDGE EZ, Diablo Predator Programmer, 10k Mod, Foil Delete, ZooDad Mod, 4-in. Straight Custom Exhaust, 2 in. Blocks in front, 35 in. Pro-Comp Xtreme A/T, Rhino Lining in Bed, Limo Tint all the way around and thats about all....for now!

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 12:19 AM

repairing them isnt worth the time really for the price of the part.. i know u have to pull the shroud around the bottom of the colum between the steering wheel and dash... look around in there.. the wires they use are SUPER tiny
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Cummin' get ya some!
Threadstarter

yea i did that and didnt see them yea i know they are super tiny i was lookin in another old truck of my dads thats just a play toy its an f250 gasser but his switch is hangin by the wires lol b/c somebody broke it, its no big deal just was hopin its wasnt something in the tranny.....im paranoid about my tranny for some reason lol

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 01:06 AM

if it was something in the trans it would mostlikely be blinking..
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Cummin' get ya some!
Threadstarter

yea just got it all figured out its just a bad switch i found the wires finally and unplugged it from the harness and theres three prongs ones off ones on and the center is power so i touched two of them and plugged the switch back in and the light came on and i touched the other prong with the power and plugged it back in and the light was off so that tells me its the switch......no big deal i dont think the switch comes apart so ill just get a new one or swap them out of another truck or somethin thanks for all the tips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode