fuel filter cap/gasket blew twice?? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 91redstang, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 719 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

fuel filter cap/gasket blew twice??

I have a 01 F250 with 85000 miles on it about 5000 miles ago i changed my fuel filter and added some diesel kleen to the bowl. all was fine until yesterday when i changed my oil and decided to drain the fuel filter bowl about 3/4 of the way and add some sea foam stuff. i opened the yellow valve on the back of the bowl and let some fuel drain out then i removed the cap and gasket and added some sea foam. i then cleaned the cap surface and the bowl surface where the gasket sits and then tightned everything down, the gasket was on the proper way i double checked. i started it up and drove 20 miles and every thing was fine no leaks or anything. on the next start up the thing was spraying fuel everywhere from the top of the fuel filter bowl. so i took it back off and recleaned and tightend everything and then it did it again today when i was pulling away from a stop light. so i guess my question is does this happen often? Or do i need to get a new gasket everytime i take that top off because it over stretches after one or two uses? any help on the situation would be great. Thanks -Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91redstang
.....Or do i need to get a new gasket everytime i take that top off because it over stretches after one or two uses? any help on the situation would be great. Thanks -Jim

That's your problem right there. Sometimes you can get them to hold, but if they've been on there a while, the gasket is trashed.
Get yourself a new filter and lid, should be good to go. :Thumbup:
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 11:42 PM

Did you happen to buy a cap from Napa? I never could get those to hold.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

The fuel filter cap seals are SINGLE USE parts, unless as described above, it has only been on for a short time - then you *may* be able to re-use it.

Why? The filter seal is specifically DESIGNED to swell slightly when in contact with fuel, this creates a BETTER seal than if it was dimentionally stable. The down-side is you need a new one each time the cap is off.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 03:30 AM

Fuel pressure to high will do that also.Some how I found that out the hard way.Cracked it from over tighten it to get it to stop leaking.110psi estimated
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 03:33 AM

Kainers is right, that's another thing to check.

If something is blocking the regulator and causing the fuel pres to be way too high, it could do this as well.

I would say not since you took it off, then had the problem. If it blows a new one off though, you definitely have something else going on.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 09:23 AM

filter cap mishap

Try putting a ittle grease on the edge of the filter cap where it meets the gasket (and use a new gasket) this will keep it from pinching the gasket.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I got a new cap and gasket from ford and put that on and it held on a 4 hour trip i took so i think it was that gasket not the fuel pressure. Thanks everyone for the help -Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode