Problems, Help please - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Diesel Dog, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 868 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Problems, Help please

'95 7.3 Ran good all day, left last job and truck started to miss badly. Check engine light is on. Truck starts right up but has bad miss, sounds almost light a flooded gasser. I had to put it in low range to have enough power to pull it on the trailer to get it home.

My first guess is under valve cover wiring. Never had them off yet it might be time. Any help or ideas??

'00 cc f 350 a few mods, and a bts tranny.

Wet concrete, Hot Asphalt And Life Wait for no one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 01:32 AM

Garage
sounds like it defaulted to "limp home mode" or maybe you had a HPOP failure it is really hard to know anything without seeing it in person, fine out what the code or codes are and go from there.... :Thumbup:

99.5 F250, VGT 5.9 CR cummins
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 01:35 AM

Yep try to get the codes and see what they say.

Off hand sounds like a UVC harness though. It does happen.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 01:48 AM
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71

Can you pull codes without having a special code reader?

1999 F-350 7.3L CREW CAB DUALLY, LIVE TUNING BY DP TUNER, 180cc SINGLES, REGULATED RETURN FUEL SYSTEM, PRE-PUMP AND IN TANK FUEL SYSTEM AND OVER BOOST ANNIHILATOR BY ITP DIESEL, DR MINI PACKS TO LEVEL THE RIDE, 6" AUSSIE STACKS BY GRANDROCK, AFE STAGE II INTAKE, TURBO MODS BY HTT, 05 HEAD LIGHT CONVERSION WITH UPGRADE WIRING HARNESS BY DFUSER, 05 GRILL, 05 6 SPEED UPGRADE, SHORT THROW SHIFTER AND LUK CLUTCH BY MIDWEST TRANSMISSION , CCV MOD, LINE-X , QUAD POD FILLED WITH AUTO METER C2 GUAGES, CUSTOM SLED PULLING HITCH, COOLANT FILTER SETUP
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 01:55 AM

Short answer: no.

You need a Snap-On, NGS, Auto Enginuity scanner, or one with very similar capabilities.
My buddy has a program called "Auto Tap" about $600 and works great on everything EXCEPT our trucks. It will do some data logging, and pull hard codes, but wouldn't even pull soft codes from my truck, and was "iffy" on the info it did give.

Our trucks are not strictly OBD-II compliant so make sure the code reader you're using specifies support for your truck.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 04:21 AM
4cstr

Dave...when my 99 was doing that, I threw a CPS at it first...didn't help. Ended up being my pcm was going "tango uniform"
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWER STROKE 99
Can you pull codes without having a special code reader?
One other option: Some tuners also pull codes. Even if it's vin locked to another truck for tuning the 1705 super chips tuner will pull codes, if you can borrow 1.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 07:14 AM

when my 96 valve cover harness went bad the truck just died and wouldnt start. i dunno if it was cause it completly burnt a pin thats just my 2 cents but i agree pull the codes and get some more info
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Destroked

Im with Loco....valve cover harness is prolly junk. My '95 did that and if you start it you could put your hand on the one exhaust manifold and you could tell that those cylinders on that side werent firing. Hopefully you lucked out (unlike me of coarse) and you dont have to rebuild the engine harness. Mine burnt the plug up that plugs into the valve cover gasket. I went to international and got a pin and plug kit and had to make a new one.

'04.5 Chevy 2500HD LLY,Alli, CC, SB, 4x4, Sleeved, Braced, FASS, 4" SS Silverline exh, EGR Blocker, all thanks to MA, EFI Live tuning by me with Edge CTS switching DSP5 tunes, 68mm Danville turbo, ARP Studs with "C" gaskets, Transgo Jr., 20x9 Diamo Karat 8's wrapped in Terra Grapplers, Superlift AAL in rear, Ride Rite Air Bags, some stainless........yeah it shines.

2002 VW Jetta GLS TDI, auto, 18x8 ASA AR3 wheels with Goodyear Eagle GT's
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I'm not having any luck with a scan tool. I can find folks with the one that will do '99 and up but not the '94-'97.

If the UVC harness is bad, can you see signs of it before yanking the VC's?

The truck won't stay running long enogh to take it off the trailer by itself. I'm guessing it was warm enough yesterday that it kept running.

'00 cc f 350 a few mods, and a bts tranny.

Wet concrete, Hot Asphalt And Life Wait for no one

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode