questions about a 7.3L E-350........ - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by triton, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 941 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

questions about a 7.3L E-350........

I've done a lot of searching but haven't come up with much.

It's a 01 Econoline diesel van with a Quigley 4x4 conversion. I had it to the dealer recently for it's 100K servicing and everything was in great shape.

One of the problem I had was.... when I start it in the morning it will run good for about 2.5 minutes. High idle kicks in and it seems to be running smoothly. Then out of the blue... it will start to spit and sputter and die. The " check engine light will also come on.

But, when I turn the ingition off then restart... the check engine light goes away and it will run fine. Ok, so I take off down the road lying into the pedal a little and BAM... it does it again. So while rolling down the road I shut it down and restart. Check engine goes away and it's running fine again.

I use Stanadyne with every fill up so, it can't be the fuel gelling. As I said, it was at the dealer today, I had the fuel injectors cleaned, new fuel filter, new fuilds all around...etc. They said there were no code in the computer and everything is fine.

On the way home from the dealer... it did it again.

I hope someone made it this far in my post and can maybe shed some light on what could be wrong.

One more thing..... Can someone please recommend some good places to go online for OEM Ford parts and or aftermarket parts that can be used on a van.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 05:19 AM

you might try putting a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if your loosing pressure for some reason.

Ross
Show-ME Smokers 2.6 modified street pulling truck "The Lone Stroke" My Videos
1996 f350, powerstroke, 4x4, 5-speed, 4.56 gears, Swamps 450/600 injectors, Swamps BFH turbo, Swamps Idm, Swamps tunes, BTS oil, SBC clutch, studs, springs, tubes, air to water intercooler, fuel system, factory rods!

Tow Rig
1997 f350, srw, reg cab, 4x4, 5 speed, 4.10 gears, 3in down pipe, straight pipe, mystery chip.

Becker Brothers Enterprises
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 05:52 AM
KRP

If the check engine light came on it set a code. Try to find someone with a good scanner that can pull them for you. I would like to know how much they charged you to "clean the injectors" and if they happened to explain how they did it?

http://www.powerstrokeshop.com is a good place online to buy factory Ford parts.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRP
If the check engine light came on it set a code. Try to find someone with a good scanner that can pull them for you. I would like to know how much they charged you to "clean the injectors" and if they happened to explain how they did it?

http://www.powerstrokeshop.com is a good place online to buy factory Ford parts.
That's the problem.... the CEL came on but, it didn't set a code.

I can't tell you how they cleaned the injectors but, this is what the service ticket says....

"Fuel injector service. Cleaned entire fuel system including injector, intake valves, combustion camber and throttle plate. Labor and parts total $122.04"

Another line show the fuel filter replacement. It was $95.88

I'm fully capable of doing this work myself but, van's are a pain in the ***** to work on... especially the fuel filter replacement. I don't think the dealers prices are to out of touch with reality so, since it's my work van it was worth it to me just to have them do it.

Now my truck the dealer won't touch!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacross
you might try putting a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if your loosing pressure for some reason.
I thought of that but, the dealer claims there's nothing wrong with the lift pump.
Since the service, I can definitely tell a difference in the way it run ( better )

It was pretty strange though because it was at the dealer.... they did all the servicing and check for any codes then on the way home, the same thing happen as I mentioned in the first post.

Maybe it was one last piece of debris in the fuel system somewhere that needed to work it's way out.

Anyway... thank for the reply. I'll just have to see how it goes. If it happens again, the dealers going to get an hear full !! It's one thing I specified I wanted them to check into.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 03:41 PM

It may be the UVC wiring. My '95 set the cel. and ran like crap. While we had it on the scan tool it started running perfect. After about 2 hours of trying to figure out what was going on between it running good and running bad, I pulled the VC and found the burned plugs.

Not to be cruel but I think they robbed you on the injector cleaning and fuel filter. I bet the "cleaning" consisted of dumping a 7 dollar bottle of something in the fuel tank.I'd try to find another shop.

'00 cc f 350 a few mods, and a bts tranny.

Wet concrete, Hot Asphalt And Life Wait for no one
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dog
It may be the UVC wiring. My '95 set the cel. and ran like crap. While we had it on the scan tool it started running perfect. After about 2 hours of trying to figure out what was going on between it running good and running bad, I pulled the VC and found the burned plugs.

Not to be cruel but I think they robbed you on the injector cleaning and fuel filter. I bet the "cleaning" consisted of dumping a 7 dollar bottle of something in the fuel tank.I'd try to find another shop.
You're probably right... that's why they're call the STEALERSHIP. I use the van for my business though so, it's all a write off.

I'm gonna find out what exactly they did though and if I wasn't in such a remote area, I for sure won't have used this dealer. They messed up once before on my van and it cost them the entire $700 bill. It's been a couple years though so, I figured I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe I shouldn't have.

I do need 6 new glow plugs and a controller that for their cost, I wasn't even thinking of letting them do. Could that be a cause ??
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 04:12 PM

Glow plugs and controller would be a hard start issue, but not a poor run issue. When you are in there to do the glowplugs, you will be able to check the wiring for the injectors and glow plugs.

'00 cc f 350 a few mods, and a bts tranny.

Wet concrete, Hot Asphalt And Life Wait for no one
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton
That's the problem.... the CEL came on but, it didn't set a code.
ANYTIME the CEL is on, there IS a code. The CEL does not just come on for no reason. Now, once the problem is no longer there, the code is not active, but inactive or a historic code. It is still there - well on '95 and newer vehicles anyway.

Quote:
I can't tell you how they cleaned the injectors but, this is what the service ticket says....

"Fuel injector service. Cleaned entire fuel system including injector, intake valves, combustion camber and throttle plate. Labor and parts total $122.04"

Another line show the fuel filter replacement. It was $95.88
Yup, STEALership allright.

You CANNOT clean the intake valves, combustion chamber or throttle plate (especially this, since it doesn't even have one) with anything on a diesel. Cleaning the injectors is *possible*, but not for any where near $120, h#ll that wouln't even cover 1/4 of the labor to do it correctly.

They charged you $96 for a $15 filter that takes AT MOST 20 minutes to change? Crooks.

When you find out what is causing the CEL, I am very sure you will know what is causing your running troubles. The Cam sensor is a likely cause.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_G
ANYTIME the CEL is on, there IS a code. The CEL does not just come on for no reason. Now, once the problem is no longer there, the code is not active, but inactive or a historic code. It is still there - well on '95 and newer vehicles anyway.

Yup, STEALership allright.

You CANNOT clean the intake valves, combustion chamber or throttle plate (especially this, since it doesn't even have one) with anything on a diesel. Cleaning the injectors is *possible*, but not for any where near $120, h#ll that wouln't even cover 1/4 of the labor to do it correctly.

They charged you $96 for a $15 filter that takes AT MOST 20 minutes to change? Crooks.

When you find out what is causing the CEL, I am very sure you will know what is causing your running troubles. The Cam sensor is a likely cause.

Well, I'm tempted to stop payment on the check until they get it right. Like I said, the CEL comes on but, if I turn off the ignition and restart... it's gone. I mentioned that to the service rep. and he said.... oh, if there's a problem it will stay on, otherwise it doesn't set a code.

Believe me, I'm not as stupid as they'd like me to be. Sometimes though... like in this instant, I would have lost more money doing it myself than I had to paid them to rip me off.

I know the pricing it out of control but, that's a stealership for ya. I can see the reason for the fuel filter cost though. It's not at all a 20 min job. Several things need to be relocated or removed just to get to the housing.

As for the injector service... I specifically asked when I dropped it off " do you use something to check the flow of the injectors " the answer... Oh ya... we have a machine that throughly cleans the whole system. Not knowing a lot about Internationals I just went with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode