Wanting info on trans. swaps. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by powerstrokin350, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 772 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
03 f350 xl 7.3 2wd x-tend

Garage
Wanting info on trans. swaps.

My first post, but was wondering if any one out there has done swap of auto. trans out & manual in on a 7.3. :shrug: Mine is an '03. Looking to upgrade the intake,exaust,and programer. Was looking at package from rpm outlet. Let me know what anyone has herd or experienced with those components.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 06:20 PM

Wait so you want to go from auto to standard?
For what its worth you can buy a built auto tranny from BTS for 3900, and never have to worry about it again.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 06:47 PM
KRP

The easiest way would probaly be to find someone that wanted to go the other way and swap parts, or find a complete donor truck so you are sure to have all the parts. The tranny hump in the floorpan is different between manual and automatic trucks also. If you are really considering doing this, send me a PM as I might know where there is a wrecked 6-speed truck that you could get parts off of.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powrstrkn'
Wait so you want to go from auto to standard?
For what its worth you can buy a built auto tranny from BTS for 3900, and never have to worry about it again.
i have a bts automatic and it is worth every cent. and brian and patty will treat you right.
www.brianstruckshop.com

2006 lariat fx4. Straight piped. SCT tuner.

SLAPS MEMBER

SINGLES MEMBER #125
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 01:59 AM

I would stick to a built auto man.
2:
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 02:48 AM

Why do you want to swap?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
03 f350 xl 7.3 2wd x-tend
Threadstarter

Garage
Post trans swap

:shrug: I don't know, I used to have an f-550 with the six speed. I miss it. I figured it would pull my work trailor better and get better fuel milage.:thanks:
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 01:42 AM

I see. Everyone has their preference. Mine is the auto. Nothing will last you forever or so you'll never have to worry about it again. If you did the swap, the parts truck would be the way. Buying everything individual could get very expensive.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Banned

Talking It can be done........

however, his is a pretty involved task, with many things to consider. Initial recommendations, is that you find a donor, and have a profesional do it. BTS has quoted me a swap for 2500. That is if I found someone who is willing to do the swap, and they would give a discount if the other party wants to buy a BTS built trans. If you are an excellent shade tree mech, then purchase the right amount of beer or beverage of thy liking, and plan two-three days of wrench time, so that you will have plenty of time to recover from un forseen obstacles.

First and foremost is the fact that the cab for man and auto are different by 6" over the transmission. With that in mind, fabricating a floor pan cover that could increase this distance (for the auto cab), much similar to the 70's style manual floor pans that just screw in can resolve that issue. Simply cut the floor hole wider to accomadate the shift tower, and top of the trans.
Next, you must consider the ECM and PCM. The programming is differnt enough that you have to swap this modules.
Steering columns, drivshaft lengths, frame lengths, 4x4 vs 2x4, radiators, transmission coolers, lines, clutches, transfer cases, all variables that can be overcome with the right amount of money or plethra there of. On the cheap and cheap, find someone who has the exact model, and length, and you golden.
My final recommendations, if you plan to do this, find a donor (I am searching for one myself "wink, wink, wink," , call BTS, purchase a southbound clutch or equivilant, offer to foot the bill for the two hotel rooms, and ask to 50/50 on the swap cost. Suggest to the other person that this would be an opurtune time to "upgrade" that transmission to a highly coveted BTS peice of merchandise. When all is said and done, you both will have your cake and be stuffing your mouths with it.
I think that about covers it:Thumbup:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode