When to engage/When not to engage 4X4 - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by courier1, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 800 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

When to engage/When not to engage 4X4

I am looking for some solid answers on when to engage the 4X4 and when not to. can you engage it at high speeds if so what RPM or speed.(Slippery Conditions) Can you disingage at high speeds if so do you let up on the throttle or what? and can you run the 4X4 locked in at highway speeds in snowy cond let say at 70mph to 80 mph ? I know not and try and avoid dry lock up and turning radius issues as you can feal the front end take a beating but I just want to be sure. Back in the 80's I was told not to drive over 50mph with it locked in. Thanks for your responses should be interesting to here what the ford techs say and the end useres.:bow:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 09:24 PM
4cstr

I've had my front hubs locked in...but the lever in the cab still in 2wd...and have had no trouble running 50-60mph. I wouldn't do that in 4wd hi though. As for shifting on the fly...I've done it up to speeds of 45mph without issue. But I personally won't go any higher than that.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cstr
I've had my front hubs locked in...but the lever in the cab still in 2wd...and have had no trouble running 50-60mph. I wouldn't do that in 4wd hi though. As for shifting on the fly...I've done it up to speeds of 45mph without issue. But I personally won't go any higher than that.
I have driven in 4High at 70mph on compact snow on the highways here in canada going slower would be dificult I was wondering what the limits were ect. Thanks and also once my truck was stuck in 4h for 800 miles on semy dry and servived high speeds (those darn relays)
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 09:39 PM

just my .02 but as long as u dont try locking it in 4wd while spinning out u cant hurt it. u can shift on the fly at any speed u want again as long as u are not spinng out.
the prolonged use of 4wd will eventulaly cause premature failure of some parts because they were not designed for this type of use. but as long as u dont abuse it it will last a long time.

Scott
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpete
just my .02 but as long as u dont try locking it in 4wd while spinning out u cant hurt it. u can shift on the fly at any speed u want again as long as u are not spinng out.
the prolonged use of 4wd will eventulaly cause premature failure of some parts because they were not designed for this type of use. but as long as u dont abuse it it will last a long time.

Scott
Thanks that was what I have been doing so far and yes I have had to switch while spinning in a intersection and switched her in and had a little clanging (outch)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courier1
I have driven in 4High at 70mph on compact snow on the highways here in canada going slower would be dificult I was wondering what the limits were ect. Thanks and also once my truck was stuck in 4h for 800 miles on semy dry and servived high speeds (those darn relays)
I have no shift into 4wd on the fly in my trucks. But I have driven hwy speeds on snow in 4wd Hi. The snow allows for wheel slip, and differant wheel speeds for turning. I wouldn't do that on dry pavement however. Another factor is most trucks don't have locking diffs in the front axle. With a locker in the rear and 4wd, 3 wheels are actually driven. That allows the other front wheel to act independently.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode