What to weld for CCV Mod - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by ndrorydr, this thread has received 13 replies and been viewed 1263 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

What to weld for CCV Mod

I'm going to do the CCV mod. What would be the best fitting to weld into my downpipe to attach a tube to? I assume I'll be using heater hose?

Thanks

Tim

Early 99 Crew Cab Long Bed Lariat 4x4 7.3L PSD Primary Horse Hauling Rig
-Stage 1 160cc Single Shot Injectors - DP Tuner F5 - 60 Tow, 80 Econo, High Idle, Stock - NVK5 PCM thanks to DP Tuner
-Home Brew fuel system with Aeroquip socketless fittings, socketless hose, and Aeromotive Regulated Return
-4" Lift 285/75R16 E Nitto Dura Grapplers - 5" MKO Aluminized Exhaust w/6" Stainless Tip - Pair of Optima Red Tops - Napa 6637 Air Intake filter - Triple Gauge A-pillar Pod w/Autometer UltraLite:Trans, EGT, Boost - CCV Mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 03:31 PM

Don't put the CCV vent into the downpipe. More than likely that will cause some major oil leaks.

The CCV system works best with a slight vacuum. However if you are modding and don't want to reroute it back to the intake, then the next best option is to vent to open atmosphere. You can run tubing to the back of the truck to keep the fumes away from the cab. If you do really want to put it in the exhaust, then it needs to be put close to the tailpipe.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 04:14 PM
4cstr

Why would putting a bung into the downpipe create oil leaks? If the bung is welded in at a downward angle...so that it creates a vacumn pulling the oil vapor into the exhaust stream...there shouldn't be a problem. And having it in the downpipe you have a better chance of burning up the oil fumes.

When I install my 6 oh CAC...I will do this mod and just vent to outside air. I will run the hose along the frame rail toward the end of the truck.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cstr
Why would putting a bung into the downpipe create oil leaks? If the bung is welded in at a downward angle...so that it creates a vacumn pulling the oil vapor into the exhaust stream...there shouldn't be a problem. And having it in the downpipe you have a better chance of burning up the oil fumes.

When I install my 6 oh CAC...I will do this mod and just vent to outside air. I will run the hose along the frame rail toward the end of the truck.
The problem is to create a vacuum, air has to be drawn (pulled) in. Exhaust gasses are not drawn though the downpipe, so even angling a bung facing the direction of exhaust flow does not necessarily create a vacuum effect. You can end up pressurizing the CCV, and causing oil leaks due to the excessive crank case pressure.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 05:47 PM

Every time I have seen someone try to vent it into something it always causes oil leaks...

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 06:11 PM

I agree with stated above. Do NOT put it in the exhaust.
Boonman had this issue and drove him nuts thinking it was the Garrett BB turbo, but it was creating too much backpressure and causing it to leak at the turbo.
Some turbos may be less susceptible to it than others, and depending on where in the exhaust you put it as well.
The downpipe would be the worst place to put it IMO.
I would just route it to the atmosphere, or a catch can vented very well.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 07:06 PM

I Might be missing something in the vaccum post. The vapors are under pressure when they leak past piston rings. They can escape by venting to air or exhaust without vaccum. Old time way was called a road draft tube. Had a cap you cleaned. Open your oil cap and they vent themselves. True vacuum was used to suck them thru PCV valves on gas engines. Our engines just let them dilute the intake air.

I read there is a valve sold by Moroso for routing it to exhaust. Haven't gone past the idea stage yet. Wondered if a valve like that would open properly and not cause a backup. I was thinking of routing back to the muffler area into exhaust. Fitting would face rear or be angle cut in that direction for flow. True if exhaust backs into it--problem.

If the CCV pressure overcomes exhaust or flows with it, should work with no mess. If not than CCV pressure builds and gets out by blowing gaskets.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 07:16 PM
4cstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX
If the CCV pressure overcomes exhaust or flows with it, should work with no mess. If not than CCV pressure builds and gets out by blowing gaskets.
But with the bung welded so that its pointing with the exhaust flow...ie pointing down...as the exhaust gasses are pushed pass...wouldn't there be a slight vacumn created around the tip of the bung...helping to draw the oil vapors out?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cstr
But with the bung welded so that its pointing with the exhaust flow...ie pointing down...as the exhaust gasses are pushed pass...wouldn't there be a slight vacumn created around the tip of the bung...helping to draw the oil vapors out?
Yes there would be if you weld the correct piece of tubing in. I am not 100% sure on the specifics but I think you need a piece of tubing welded into the pipe at a 45* angle and a 45* angle cut on the tubing. It must protrude into the exhaust pipe about 1/4" past the 45* cut.
This system will only work if there is little to no backpressure in the exhaust pipe that you weld the tubing into. By little I mean 1 psi or less.
You also should use something such as the Moroso valve as mentioned above because it will only allow air to flow from the crankcase to the exhaust and not from the exhaust to the crankcase due to backpressure.

Drag cars use this type of a system and run 1 hose to each header. At the high rate of speed that exhaust exits thier headers it will actually create a vacuum in the crankcase which will gain 3 to 5 hp.

I am going to do some searching for a kit that has vlaves and tubing in it.

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually My TDG Gallery
B codes, head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, stock turbo w/ 1.00 turbine housing
6.0 IC, NAPA 6637 air filter, AeroTurbine 4040XL, ITP Overboost Annihilator,
Quadzilla Commander, electric fuel system w/ regulated return
coolant filter, 203* thermostat
Dually Club Member #53

346.7HP, 852.1TQ 12/15/07 Greeley, CO w/ stage 1 injectors and Wildman tunes
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 12:28 AM

Here's a link to a complete kit for a race car. The 2 round things with a tube coming out of them at an angle are a baffle that is installed into the valve cover.

Moroso kit

Mr. Gasket kit

I am not sure what size these valves are but if they are made for hose smaller than 3/4" I would put two of them in the exhaust and T your hose into both of them.

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually My TDG Gallery
B codes, head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, stock turbo w/ 1.00 turbine housing
6.0 IC, NAPA 6637 air filter, AeroTurbine 4040XL, ITP Overboost Annihilator,
Quadzilla Commander, electric fuel system w/ regulated return
coolant filter, 203* thermostat
Dually Club Member #53

346.7HP, 852.1TQ 12/15/07 Greeley, CO w/ stage 1 injectors and Wildman tunes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode