Ecm & Pcm - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by nevrenufhp, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 2171 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Ecm & Pcm

In reference to a 99 & up Super duty. Is there somewhere online that has a wiring diagram or schematic of the instrument cluster, and how it gets signals thru the PCM? I"m trying to figure out how to get the gauges to work with a DT466 (non electronic). If I get a truck with a V8 or V10, cant I steal a gauge cluster from a Powerstroke truck for the correct tach? Is the PCM needing any signal from the ECM to make the gauges work? Check engine light is not important, I'll pull the bulb if it comes on.
According to the local paper, I'm looking at $6k for a gasser krew kab F250. That seems like a lot of money for a swap that hasnt been perfected yet.:deal:
Is there any differences in the front sheetmetal between the gassers & dissels? Like more room for an interkooler? Maybe I can find a Powerstroke krew kab with a gazillion miles & save $ that way.

Dale

my daily driver:67 F100, 300 4V, cammed, 4 spd.
or, 08 Subaloser Forester, 2" lift.
work rigs: 94 IH 4900, DT466(originally 230hp), #0 fuel plate, tighter gov springs, 22* timing
or, 06 IH 7400, DT466E, 300hp

My Low Buck fuel rate site:
www.freewebs.com/nevrenufhp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 03:20 AM

The body's are the same from gasser to diesel. Most of the inputs to the cluster are from the PCM.

06 F-350 Crewcab 5.9 CR
03 Excursion 6.0
99 F-250 7.3
97 Dodge 3500 5.9
95 F-250 7.3
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator

The ECM IS the PCM in a Ford product.

ECM = Engine Control Module (engine only)
PCM = Powertrain Control Module (engine+trans)

I know that a few late-model Ford products have external transmission controllers, Ford still refers to the "ECM" as a PCM however.

As I recall, the F-series trucks beginning in '99, were data-linked. Meaning that the dash got signals from the PCM, and did NOT have traditional hard-wired gauges and senders. The dash bascially used the PCM data that is already there (like speed, RPM, temp etc) and displays it on the cluster.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 03:30 AM

Principles of Operation

The instrument cluster carries out a display prove out to verify that all warning/indicator lamps and monitored systems are operating correctly. When the ignition switch is turned to the ON position with the engine off, the following indicators will illuminate:

SERVICE ENGINE SOON warning indicator
charge system warning indicator
THEFT indicator (Excursion only)
anti-lock brake system (ABS) warning indicator
safety belt warning indicator (60 second prove out)
air bag indicator
WAIT TO START indicator (diesel only)

Gauge Indication Systems

The gauge indication systems use magnetic gauges mounted in the instrument cluster. No adjustment, calibration, or maintenance is required for any gauges. The gauges cannot be installed separately.

Instrument Cluster Replacement

When instrument cluster replacement is necessary, contact the Instrument Cluster Program at 1-800-259-9700 (U.S.) or 1-800-663-9974 (Canada).

Fuel Gauge Indication (bi-fuel only)

NOTE: If the bi-fuel vehicle does not operate correctly in alternative fuel mode, refer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual.

A single fuel gauge is used for both alternative fuel and gasoline level indication. The fuel indication system uses a fuel pump intercept harness, compuvalve, dash reset relay, liquid petroleum gas (LPG) sensor, compressed natural gas (CNG) fuel tank pressure sensor (FTPS) combined with the gasoline fuel pump and fuel sensing circuitry. On all the bi-fuel vehicles, the gasoline fuel pump module information is intercepted and routed through the compuvalve. In the gasoline operating mode, the fuel sender information is passed thorough the compuvalve to the instrument cluster fuel gauge. In alternative fuel mode the compuvalve receives the alternate fuel level signal and sends it to the instrument cluster fuel level gauge.

Fuel Sending Unit

The fuel sending unit is a variable resistor controlled by the action of a float arm. When the fuel level is low, resistance in the unit is low. When the fuel level is high, the resistance is high.

Water Temperature Indicator Sender Unit

When the engine temperature is low, the resistance of the water temperature indicator sender unit is high, thus restricting the flow of current through the gauge and moving the pointer only a short distance. As the temperature of the coolant increases, the resistance decreases, allowing more current to flow through the gauge and resulting in a corresponding movement of the pointer.

Oil Pressure Indicator Sender Unit

The oil pressure indicator sender unit consists of a diaphragm and contact points. The contact points are closed with oil pressure causing the gauge to indicate NORMAL oil pressure. With no oil pressure, the contacts open and the gauge indicates low oil pressure.

Charge Indicator System

The battery voltage gauge measures the voltage potential at the battery.

Charge System Warning Indicator

A red charge indicator is located in the instrument cluster. This indicator illuminates when there is low or no generator output.

When the ignition switch contacts are closed, battery current flows through the charge indicator and the parallel resistor (390 ohms) to the voltage indicator, and the indicator comes on.

When the generator builds up enough voltage to energize a circuit in the voltage regulator, the indicator turns off.

Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)

On vehicles equipped with 4-wheel anti-lock brake systems (4WABS), the vehicle speed signal is generated by the rear anti-lock brake sensor and sent to the 4WABS module. The 4WABS module sends the vehicle speed signal via circuit 679 (GY/BK) to all systems that require a vehicle speed signal input. Vehicles equipped with rear anti-lock brakes (RABS) generate a vehicle speed signal from the rear axle speed sensor. The generic electronic module (GEM) receives this signal (VSS_GEM) for internal use and then distributes it to the appropriate other users (i.e., the powertrain control module [PCM], speed control module, and speedometer).

Speedometer

The electronic speedometer (17255) receives a speed signal from the 4WABS module (if equipped with 4WABS) or the generic electronic module (GEM)/central timer module (CTM) (if equipped with RABS).

Odometer

A million-mile tamper-resistant odometer is standard. New speedometers have a resettable odometer.

NOTE: When installing a new instrument cluster some state laws require that the new odometer must register the same as the removed odometer.

If the actual vehicle mileage cannot be determined, the repair centers are able to supply odometers set to "0" miles. An odometer mileage sticker is supplied with the new instrument cluster. This sticker must display the estimated vehicle mileage and be affixed to the driver door jamb.

Trip Odometer

The trip odometer indicates how many miles the vehicle has been driven since the last reset.

Tachometer

Gasoline vehicles are equipped with a 6,000 rpm tachometer and diesel vehicles are equipped with a 4,500 rpm tachometer. The tachometer is hardwired to the PCM through circuit 648 (WH/PK).

Warning Indicators

Brake System

All vehicles use a brake system warning indicator in the instrument cluster to warn of system malfunctions. The red brake warning light (BRAKE) is used to indicate a low fluid level, brake malfunction, or a parking brake that is not fully released. The brake fluid level switch is located in the brake fluid reservoir.

The yellow brake warning indicator is used to indicate a malfunction or deactivation of the anti-lock brake system (ABS). It illuminates when triggered by the ABS control module and stays illuminated as long as the malfunction remains in the system.

Service Engine Soon Warning Indicator

The SERVICE ENGINE SOON warning indicator is illuminated when a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is sensed in the closed loop by the powertrain control module (PCM).

Air Bag

If an air bag system DTC is detected, the air bag indicator is illuminated (except Motorhome).

Safety Belt

The safety belt warning indicator is powered through the generic electronic module (GEM). When the ignition key is turned on, the indicator illuminates for four to eight seconds even if the safety belt is buckled.

Low Fuel

When the fuel level drops to a predetermined level, the low fuel warning indicator will illuminate.

Door Ajar

The DOOR AJAR indicator illuminates when any of the vehicle doors are open.

High Beam

This indicator is illuminated when the high beams are on.

Speed Control

The speed control indicator (CRUISE) will illuminate when the speed control is engaged.

Water in Fuel (Diesel only)

The WATER IN FUEL indicator will illuminate when 100 cc (0.2 pints) of water has accumulated in the fuel filter/water separator. The WATER IN FUEL indicator will prove out when the ignition switch is in the START position.

Wait to Start (Diesel only)

The WAIT TO START indicator will illuminate when the ignition switch is in the ON position with the engine OFF while the glow plugs are heating.

Theft (Excursion only)

The theft indicator will flash when the PATS system is activated and will prove out for three seconds when the ignition switch is turned to the ON position.

Warning Indicators — Engine Oil Pressure, Engine Coolant Temperature, Low Fuel

The engine oil pressure warning indicator will illuminate if the engine oil pressure drops below approximately 42 kPa (6 psi).

The engine coolant temperature warning indicator will illuminate if the engine temperature exceeds approximately 121 C (250 F).

The low fuel warning indicator will illuminate if the fuel level drops below approximately 4-8L (1-2 gal).

06 F-350 Crewcab 5.9 CR
03 Excursion 6.0
99 F-250 7.3
97 Dodge 3500 5.9
95 F-250 7.3
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Threadstarter

So, there isnt 2 controlling computers? I think this may make it a little more complicated, but maybe if I find a real schematic, it'll be a piece of cake.....almost. Maybe I'll wait til I get a truck first.

Dale

my daily driver:67 F100, 300 4V, cammed, 4 spd.
or, 08 Subaloser Forester, 2" lift.
work rigs: 94 IH 4900, DT466(originally 230hp), #0 fuel plate, tighter gov springs, 22* timing
or, 06 IH 7400, DT466E, 300hp

My Low Buck fuel rate site:
www.freewebs.com/nevrenufhp
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

No, one PCM.

Diesels use TWO, One PCM, one IDM (Injector Drive Module) - although Ford calls it something else now, it is still only for driving injectors.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode