programer,exh.&cld air install - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by powerstrokin350, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 641 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
03 f350 xl 7.3 2wd x-tend

Garage
Cool programer,exh.&cld air install

how hard is the cold air, i herd can be a ***** due to the cutting of fan shrowd. at least that is what my dad was told when installed on his 04 6L. mine is an 03 7.3 2wd. I also want to install the exhuast myself. I have some expierience from schooling and when i was a mech. at u-haul working on there 7.3's in there internationals. But of course i won't have the big bumper jack we had to get the clearence under my truck. what, a whole weekend? thax any input greatly appriciated.:shrug: :thanks: :smoke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:48 PM
TDG MAFIA #94

Send a message via MSN to StrokinSnyd
you mean a cold air intake right? those aint too dificult to instal. the worst part about them in my opinion is the taking off of the old one. your dad probably did have a bit more dificulty since it was on the 6.0. the exhaust can be a B***h sometimes. The worst part is the turbo dowmpipe and getting the clamp off the turbo. after that it dosent seem to bad. if you have clearence prob. with getting under the truck, jack it up and put it on statonary jacks.

96 Dodge Cummins EC LB 5 spd big valve springs, full cut DV's, Big sticks, phat shaft turbo....yada yada yada.... plain and simple, it goes fast and pulls whatever
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Supporting Vendor

You should be able to do that in less than a weekend. An extra set of hands when you are trying to install the new downpipe on top of the motor is a big help. If you go w/ a kit like MBRP they have the rear hanger welded on and this makes the install go smoother. The cold air intake is pretty simple you looking at a Stg I or II? Let me know if I can help.

Dave

D2 Hi-Performance
www.d2hiperformance.com
Proud to be a sponser of THE DIESEL GARAGE.COM!
(586) 709-2271
(586) 949-3234

Our rides
Dave P's Truck: 2002 CCSB 6.5" ProComp lift w/ 5100 Bilsteins, Crower Rods, Balanced rotating, coated rod and main bearings, ARP Head and Main studs, Fire Ringed, ported heads, machined and coated Mahle pistons, AFE stg II, Stealth pumps, BD's w/ 0.008 EH tips, D2HP Inconel exhaust valves, D2HP custom pushrods, Custom HX50 bolted to Hmax pedistal, Suncoast Comp trans, Detriot Electrac's front and rear, D2HP transfer case and 1 piece 4" Al driveshaft.

Dave D's Truck: 2002 ECLB Built Ford Tough Package 6" DR lift kit, Bilstein 5100's, 36x15.50R20 MTZ's on 20x10 114 Eagle's, Randy Ellis Bar w/4 8" Stainless ProComp 130W Lights, Custom tunes from DP Tuner, 05 Harley front end, D2HP transfer case and 1 piece Al driveshaft.

Becky P's ride: 2002 Limited Excursion, DVD, heated seats, TS and DP tunes, Edge Juice & Attitude, Dual exhaust, Bilstein stock replacments, AFE.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 02:01 PM

They're both pretty easy...installed an aFe Stage 2 intake in about an hour and a half (it was 20-25 degrees out, slowing me down a bit). It's basically an airbox swap. Did the MBRP 4" in about 3 hours with the help of a buddy. Worst part was removing the old one and the pesky downtube clamp, the majority of the time after that was aligning the pipes to clear in the back. On the EX, it's a tight fit at the tank. No special tools required, except for maybe a saws-all to cut the old exhaust pipe out. But if you own Fords and don't have a saws-all, you probably need to take a trip to Harbor Freight Tools anyway...

When I did the exhaust, I drove the passenger side wheels up on 2) 2"x12"x16" blocks stacked up. Using a Polish Creeper (cardboard) it's easy to get under and do the exhaust. My gut just wouldn't quite clear the running boards with a normal creeper

I really didn't think the 4" down tube was going to fit so easy...below is the aFe installed and a comparison of the factory to the MBRP downtube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	afe_completed.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	8516   Click image for larger version

Name:	downtube_compare.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	8517  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
03 f350 xl 7.3 2wd x-tend
Threadstarter

Garage
u know

:Thumbup: :thanks: thanx a bunch i appreciate everyones input!:smoke
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 10:23 PM

htey're both not that hard you will need some help with the downtube the rest goes pretty easy after that

early 99 F 350 Crew Cab DRW AFE Stage II,MBRP 4" Auto Meter Boost,Pyro & Trans. DP Tuner & ITP's overboost. Former USA Res MP and proud of it!

2000 Jeep Wrangler RIP 4" lift 33x12.50x15:crybaby2:

2005 Dodge 2500 4X4 AFE Stage II,Diprcol gauges,4" MBRP, BD X Power Plus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode