Where is my IPR? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 01blkf250, this thread has received 43 replies and been viewed 1685 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia Member # 37

Where is my IPR?

I am having a problem with my truck not running, and i believe it is the IPR, as I have my regulated fuel return set at 68 psi and now I am only showing 60 psi while cranking and it will drop to about 40 psi before it kicks back in and raises the pressure again. This all started just after filling up my truck at my normal station and I have since found out they just had to pump 40 gallons of water out of their tank. I did not get a receipt so I am screwed on that, but we pulled the codes and they are 1209,1211,1212, 1247, and 1248. The first 3 codes are ICP related so am I right in assuming it is my IPR and if so where can I get one fast and where is it so I can replace it? I can get the truck to run for about 3-5 seconds then it shuts down like it is running out of fuel. Is it possible that if there is water in the fuel that it has frozen the IPR open? I am in Michigan and it has been below 0* here for about 5 days. I should add that we ran the glow plug test and they checked out fine as did the injector test, we did tonight with a Snap On scanner. We could not get it running to do any test while running though. Gene, :mafia

2001 F-250 XLT, cc sb 4X4, 3.73 LS,auto, Ported ATS shroud housing 1.00 exhaust housing Banks wicked wheel adjustable wastegated turbo,Non Ebpv pedestal and gutted Ebpv, DI Performance regulated fuel return kit, Dieselsites' 203* thermostat and billet housing, MBRP 4" ss turbo back exhaust system, AFE Stage 1 air intake, Jody Tiptons' F5 chip with no start,stock, 60hp tow,and 120hp race tune for now til I get big oil and injectors. Sonnax kit, Dieselsites' A/C heater core bypass valve, Autometer Boost, Pyro, and Trans temp guages in A pillar, Regulator in MAP line set at 20psi, boost tube, wastgate adjusted real tight, Aih delete, and Zoodad'ed. Amsoil fluids, Monroe Reflex shocks, and Ironman APR 265/75/16R tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 12:47 AM
KRP

IPR is screwed into the back driver's side of the HPOP. The IPR has nothing to do with fuel pressure, it controls the oil pressure that drives the injectors. It does sound like you may have an IPR/ICP problem, but the problem with the fuel system is not related.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia Member # 37
Threadstarter

Ok so now I got to ask should I replace both or is there a way to isolate either the ICP or the IPR? Also I can not help but wonder if possibly the water tainted fuel is some how the culprit, as the problem arose after driving about 20 miles after filling up. The truck stalled one time and I got it running again then it almost stalled again, but i caught it in time and threw it into neutral and gunned it til it cleared up then put it back in drive and it ran alittle rough then straightened out and ran fine til the next morning when I went to start it to go to work then I could not get it to stay running for more than 3-5 seconds, but now it will not start at all. Any suggestions? Gene :mafia

2001 F-250 XLT, cc sb 4X4, 3.73 LS,auto, Ported ATS shroud housing 1.00 exhaust housing Banks wicked wheel adjustable wastegated turbo,Non Ebpv pedestal and gutted Ebpv, DI Performance regulated fuel return kit, Dieselsites' 203* thermostat and billet housing, MBRP 4" ss turbo back exhaust system, AFE Stage 1 air intake, Jody Tiptons' F5 chip with no start,stock, 60hp tow,and 120hp race tune for now til I get big oil and injectors. Sonnax kit, Dieselsites' A/C heater core bypass valve, Autometer Boost, Pyro, and Trans temp guages in A pillar, Regulator in MAP line set at 20psi, boost tube, wastgate adjusted real tight, Aih delete, and Zoodad'ed. Amsoil fluids, Monroe Reflex shocks, and Ironman APR 265/75/16R tires.
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 02:14 AM
KRP

Do you have fuel pressure now? The fact that it started after fueling up makes me wonder also. Can you get it inside somewhere to thaw out and see if it will start then.

As for the IPR/ICP, you can unhook the ICP sensor and see if it helps. The PCM will run on default tables with the sensor unhooked. The ICP sensor is at the front of the driver's side head next to the lift hook. You should monitor ICP and IPR duty cycle with the scanner while cranking it also.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia Member # 37
Threadstarter

I have fuel pressure when I turn the key on and while cranking, but it starts to drop off when just sitting. If I leave the ignition on it will drop to 40 psi then pressurize back up to 60 again. I will try disconnecting the ICP sensor and see what happens. Thanks, Gene.

post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 04:07 AM

Garage
If you are using a snap on scanner then u can read the icp and ipr. icp pressure should be above 500 psi when cranking. it has to have 500 psi to run. also watch the ipr duty cycle. As the ipr % goes up more oil is let through. but sounds more like a fuel problem than oil problem. most likely u will have to drain the fuel filter housing then remove the small plugs at the end of each head to drain the fuel/water out of the rails.

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 04:30 AM

Ipr

I have a 96 and it was located right behind the HPOP in the valley but it may be different with the SD bodystyle.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 04:44 AM

I agree with RoscoeStroker. Drain the fuel bowl and heads and change the fuel filter. Then see if you can get it started. If not check ICP and IPR reading with the scanner while cranking. If ICP is way low try starting with the ICP sensor unhooked.

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually My TDG Gallery
B codes, head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, stock turbo w/ 1.00 turbine housing
6.0 IC, NAPA 6637 air filter, AeroTurbine 4040XL, ITP Overboost Annihilator,
Quadzilla Commander, electric fuel system w/ regulated return
coolant filter, 203* thermostat
Dually Club Member #53

346.7HP, 852.1TQ 12/15/07 Greeley, CO w/ stage 1 injectors and Wildman tunes
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia Member # 37
Threadstarter

Thanks, guys I 'll give it a try tonight when I get home from work. Will one bottle of fuel treatment and gas line antifreeze work or should I dump a few bottles in the tank? Thanks again, Gene :mafia.

post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
TDG Mafia Member # 37
Threadstarter

Well I unhooked the ICP and it fired and ran for about 10 seconds, so I drained the fuel bowl, but not the fuel rails yet, put in a new filter and poured a bottle of dry gas in the fuel bowl and tried it again and no go not even firing, but batteries were now getting low so I put on the charger on one battery last night for 12 hours, and put it on the other battery this morning. Will try when I get home again. Do I really need to drain the fuel rails? I don't like dumping all this fuel to the ground. Any other suggestions? Thanks, Gene. :mafia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode