Oil - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Capt_A, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 690 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Oil

I recently purchased a 99 powerstroke and of course, changed the oil with Rotella 15w40. I've driven a little over 1000 miles on the truck, and noticed a tapping/clicking sound, almost like a valve tap. So I checked the oil level - which was fine - but the oil was as black as tar.

I immediately asked my mechanic about the oil coloration and he laughed. He said that as soon as you put fresh oil in a diesel and run it for an hour, it comes out black. So he changed it for me, and sure enough the next day, it was jet black. Also, he drives a '06 6.0 powerstoke, and his ***'t mechanic drived a '02 7.3 - and their oil is black.

What causes this? Is it common across the universe of diesel owners, or is it specific to an as yet undetermined subset of diesel owners? Please help a novice... :shrug:

Oh, yeah - the noise I heard is common to diesels - mechanic said it's the sound of the injectors actuating when the oil is cold - and it's been quite cold in the Midatlantic lately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 01:43 AM

Garage
If the air filter or crankcase breather is stopped up, this will cause the oil to get black. also extended drain intervals will also cause the oil to turn black. to get rid of this u can flush your lubrication system with a cleaning agent. other than that its not a real big deal. if u pull the valve covers off u can see why your oil is turning black.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Capt,

Your mechanic is correct. Every diesel will blacken fresh oil in a few hundred miles, if not sooner. This takes a little longer on newer engines as they run cleaner, but it is simply the "nature of the beast".

Cleaning the crank-case is a temporary thing, the soot from combustion is carried in the oil, so no matter how clean you make it, in a few hundred miles the oil has a fresh load of black soot.

This soot is no problem at normal levels, and the oil is engineered to handle it.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 04:26 AM

Garage
How much can the soot hurt things, if at higher than normal levels. Levels of "Big Black Smoke at WOT"

Alex C.

R.I.P. 2006 F-250 CC SB Fx4. w/ 500 RWHP *stolen 7/15/2010*

1990 F350 CCLB 4x4 -- 24V Cummins, 200hp DDP's, SuperB over S475-sx3, Cam and valvesprings, Spe-rite Convertor, Billet input.

www.JeffersonStateDiesel.com --- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Jefferson

Singles Club # 182 - B.O.M.B Squad # 14 - American Club #23
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 02:04 PM
4cstr

Like John mentioned...diesel oil is forumulated and is expected to carry soot in suspension. Better to have it in suspension than plugging something up somewhere.

You can buy an aftermarket auxillary oil filtering system...that will filter out most of the soot particles. They can range anywhere from the el cheapo pieced together system (like my Baldwin setup) to a much much more expensive setup that will allow you to run extended oil drains (10k+ miles or more on the oil). It all depends on what you are wanting to do. For me...I still change my oil at 5k intervals with my bypass system. By the time I hit 3k miles...my oil is starting to turn darker, and by 5k miles I can't see the dipstick through it anymore.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99StrokerDude
How much can the soot hurt things, if at higher than normal levels. Levels of "Big Black Smoke at WOT"
If you are making "Smoke Ropes" there is NO question that WILL reduce engine and oil life. Extremely short drain intervals would be needed for the engine to last to the design life.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 05:16 PM

Garage
Just because the oil is black, doesn't mean it is really all that dirty.

There are guys that have sent in oil samples from BRAND NEW oil, along with their sample from the engine with even over 10k miles on the oil. The used oil was CLEANER than the new stuff.

Not all diesels turn the oil black right away. When my truck was bone stock, I could still read the dipstick after 2k miles.

In the pic below, I had 1900 miles on the oil.

As heavily fueled as I am now, it gets black pretty quick.

Don't know if it really makes a difference or not, but the Cummins crankcase vents directly to the atmosphere. At least the older ones do. Not sure on the new ones. The pickup truck V8 diesels generally don't. I know my 6.9L does not. It vents the vapors into the intake, and gets burnt. The 7.3L engines do as well.

"Some people are educated beyond their intelligence."

'93 W350 CC, LE, 5spd, HTT modded H1C, 4" DE

Sold- '99 3500 Q/C, SO CTD, 4x4, 5spd.

Traded off- '97 3500 C/C, 4x4, CTD

'92 W250, LE, CC, CTD w/ tweaked pump (SOLD)

"Obama = Hoax and Chains"

If Obama is the answer, it must have been a stupid question.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 08:44 PM

Try DELO 400 or Rotella Synthetic 5-40
Both much better oils than Rotella 15-40 IMHO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode