Fuel Milage - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by scott47429, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 764 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Fuel Milage

hello i just bought a 99 crew cab f 350 wth a 7.3 its getting around 13 miles to the gallon since im new to the diesel world i dont know if this is good or not and also is there any way that wont break the bank to get better milage out of it i dont care about making more power just more milage also as far as i know the truck is all stock except it dont have a muffler or cyt it does have a lift with 305/70r16 on it would love any help i can get thanks

scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 12:03 AM

The lift and tires are really killing you. You could regear which may help in town, but the highway mileage would suffer.

You need smaller tires (265) to lessen the rolling resistance and you need it as low to the ground as possible, pretty much the opposite of what you have.

Is the 13 in town or highway? Mine gets 14.5 in town and 16.8-18.5 hwy depending on conditions and how I drive.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

mostly in town driving i drove it on the highway one about 60 miles one way thats as far as i have had time to go i dont realy want to regear cause it causes alot of problems with the speedo witch im sure aint right with the tires thats on it anyway thanks for the reply

scott
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 12:20 AM

Yeah, not right for the tires anyway now. I should have thought about that. Have you considered that in your calculations? And are your calcualations by hand?

Given that the tires are 15% larger than stock, the speedo would be off by 15%, and would read LOW meaning you are traveling 15% more miles than your odometer indicates.

given that it would bump your mileage up to 14.95mpg, better than me in town!

You could get a truspeed module to correct the speedo, or have it reprogrammed by Ford.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

ford can reprogram the speedo maybe i need to check in on that thanks

scott
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 12:27 AM

mileage

My truck only accumulates 6 of the 10 miles i drive! So all of my miles on the odometer have to be multiplied by 140%. The bigger the tires the more off it gets, I even re-geared the thing and the speedo and odometer still can't keep up. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode