HPOP question - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by tommy vestrat, this thread has received 2 replies and been viewed 835 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

HPOP question

i know here i go again with a newbie question, bear with me guys i'm learning.the oil in hpop, is this something i need to keep a check on ? or is it the same as my engine oil ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 12:56 AM

It is your engine oil.

The only reason to check it would be if you had a hard-start condition and you wanted to see if the HPOP was draining off.

Then you could pull the plug in the top of the reservoir and check the level, otherwise you would not need to touch it.

Of course you could be really anal and suck the old oil out and refill every time you did an oil change, but almost no one does that. It's almost impossible to remove ALL residual oil from the system and compared to 15qts, the 20ozs or so that the HPOP res holds is of little concern.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

What he said ^^^^!

Also, the HPOP is the pump that supplies the power to inject fuel into the cylinders. The pressure of the oil leaving HPOP is controlled by the PCM via the IPR valve (Injection Pressure Regulator). MOST cases of low ICP (HPOP oil pressure) are a result of a wiring problem to the IPR valve, wearing out of the IPR valve, or loss of oil volume (ran engine out of oil, bad engine oil pump or oil pressure regulator). With really high miles and long oil drain intervals, the HPOP can wear out, but they DO NOT cause a "No Start/Hard Start" condition unless it is HOT. For cold starting problems, the HPOP is about the LAST component to suspect, but it is often one of the first replaced (in error).

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode