battery ??? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by just visiting, this thread has received 12 replies and been viewed 1009 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

battery ???

so a couple weeks ago my truck started making and akward noise when its cranking sorta like a turbo spool down, i notices that it cranked a little more than usual too. well then the past couple days i would turn the ign on and wait a few more extra seconds after the light when out and then tried to start.... still cranked more than ususal. and a couple times it even failed to start the first try.... well today i decided to go by auto zone and, have them load test my batts, well i went out to teh truck hit the starter and got about 3 rotations and then dead as can be.
my thoughts are that one of the bats died when the funky noise started and thats teh reason for the hard starting, and then today the other just could not take it anymore and crapped out.. what do you guys think? all makes sence except the weird noise???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 07:00 PM

Did they load test them? What was the result?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 02:40 AM

I would get the truck jumped and head down to ahve them load tested. If you do need replacement batteries you might check out Advanced Auto if you have one near by. Their batteries are 72 or 84 month batteries with a 3 year free replacement. So if in the first 3 years they go bad, you get a new batttery. They don't prorate the battery like Autozone or Napa etc. The catch is they will only do it one time for diesels. But you still essentially get 2 batteries for the price of one (4 for the price of 2 for our trucks). I just went through this on Thursday night. I didn't even purchase the battery, the previous owner did and they still warrantied it for free.

Sam

The Trash Truck
96 CC F350 SRW - Built for SVO and mileage
Go Green - HotFox, Dual Heated Dahl 100s, Fuel Filter Coolant Wrap, ArcticFox
Go Fast - Hybrids, H2E, 6.0 IC, Fuelab, BTS 144.2/291.5 uncorrected

thanx go to
Rockin-S-Performance - Install, tech support, and advice
Diesel Innovations - Killer Deal on Parts
Tony Wildman/SWAMPS - Tuning
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

thanks guys i ended up getting some everstart max lifes from walmart $72 ea. yea there walmart but i have used them in everything for the past 7 years and have yet to find a better battery,

so i replaced them... they crank awesome but the truck still wants to crank and crank before she fires, temp is about 25-30 out and i wait about 3 sec after teh wait to start light goes out before i start, a guy on my fire dept says the same thing happened to his and he replaced the glow plugs and claimes that the light has never stayed on longer than 3 sec and starts immediately, even when the temp was down in the 0-single digits, what do you guys recommend checking???
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 07:14 AM

Im glad you have good luck with the neverstarts. I went through 6 in 5 months on a 95 f150 I had. They finally gave me my money back and I bought an optima. No problems for the next 4 years I owned it. I will put optimas in my stroker when its due.

2008 F350 Crew Cab long bed Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke. 4.5" CST lift 35x12.50R18 Toyo M/T's
SCT Tuned by ME. 529.6 RWHP 1100.7 LbFt uncorrected on a Load Dyno

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 04:48 PM

I would check your glow plug relay, look at the connectors going to your glowplugs (see if they are melted and burned), have your starter tested at autozone et al, and then as a last replace the glow plugs. If your relay isn't engaging properly you may not be getting enough amps to the glow plugs to do their job. You can test the relay with an ohm meter, or take a screwdriver and connect both big posts for 30 seconds and then try to fire it up. My understanding is the Wait to start light is a dummy light that doesn't signify anything.

Sam

The Trash Truck

thanx go to
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by genie144
I would check your glow plug relay, look at the connectors going to your glowplugs (see if they are melted and burned), have your starter tested at autozone et al, and then as a last replace the glow plugs. If your relay isn't engaging properly you may not be getting enough amps to the glow plugs to do their job. You can test the relay with an ohm meter, or take a screwdriver and connect both big posts for 30 seconds and then try to fire it up. My understanding is the Wait to start light is a dummy light that doesn't signify anything.
Sam

i have heard that too but my light will stay on longer the colder it is out and it will go off much sooner if i had the truck plugged in, i will check that out, whats teh resistance supposed to be? or are you saying to connect the ohm meter to the relay and hit the key and make sure i get 0 resistance across the relay (just to show its making good contacts? can you explain?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

oh and one other thing, any idea on why the truck makes a wierd whistle when i try to start it up? i will try to go get a sound clip of what it sounds like and post it here if i can.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 07:28 PM
TDG Mafia Member #73

My 1996 PSD was getting really hard to start when the weather turned cold this year. I put new GP's in it and 2 new batteries before it got really cold. That did almost nothing. I then decided to remove the battery cables and install new Motorcraft ones. The truck fires up faster than it ever has now.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 07:40 PM

Don't know about the whistle. Hard to say without hearing it.

In order to test the relay, using a multimeter, test the volts on the constant side (big post connected to battery), than test the volts on the other big post. There should be less than .5 volt difference between the two big posts. Hope that helps.

Sam

The Trash Truck

thanx go to

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode