Dipstick tube on early Mod. 99 PSD - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by mulcrkjim, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 1043 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Question Dipstick tube on early Mod. 99 PSD

Hey, does anyone out there have a link to an exploded view of,or know how,
the dipstick tube is attached to the side of the pan? I've got an oil leak coming from there and it looks like maybe an 'O' ring has given it up or something. I've tightened about all I feel like I can without strippin' sumpthin' out. Does the pan have to drop in order to be able to acess this???
I would really appreciate any help I can get.:thanks:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 09:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to gtspowerstroke
To replace the o-ring you have to pull the pan. In order to pull the pan you have to pull the engine. Not a fun or easy fix.

'96 F-250 Extended Cab, GT'S injectors, GT'S intercooler install kit, custom turbo kit with a little HX40, Swamp's BIGEST oil.
466 on #2 only
739 with NČO

13.544 in 1/4 mi!

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford

Yeah I can keep up!:Thumbup:
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtspowerstroke
To replace the o-ring you have to pull the pan. In order to pull the pan you have to pull the engine. Not a fun or easy fix.

Just asking but... Could you use some gasket maker or such??? Seems like a bad deal to pull for a oil leak there...

01 F-250 SC PSD,210k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, GTS Hybrid injectors, Studs, 910 Valve springs, Forged rods Water injection,Swamps tuned, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 100 axl tank, 4" Revtek lift, 37-14.50-17 TOYO MT's 469hp and 1068tq...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Man that's a real bummer! I really don't know why the stupid thing started leaking. I just had this truck in the shop for an injector rebuild, had it back one day and then noticed oil leaking, slowly at first and then within 50 miles a bunch real quick!Called the shop that worked on it and they came out to look and said it just must of picked that time to fail?? Anyway, he tightened it some and told me he wasn't sure but thought the pan had to come off to access the 'O' ring and that probably was a job he didn't want to do. So I took a look at it this weekend and tightened it up about a half of a turn or so and slowed it down a lot,almost stopped it, but was afraid to go much more for fear of strippin' it out. Do you Know if the 'O' ring is on the inside or out side?
Thanks for the quick reply.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 11:18 PM

O ring is on the inside and to replace it the pan must come off. I would try draining the oil level down, clean it up real good and JB weld it. Let it sit a day or so and then see what happens. I have fiber glassed rotted oil pans before and they held for years. You may want to try this too but any type of repair like this is a maybe and the surfaces must be clean and free from oil for it to hold.
FMT
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Yea, I was thinkin about J-B Weld, pretty drastic but not as drastic as pullin an engine to change an o ring, Ha! I guess that's one of Fords "Better Ideas" Huh? Well, thanks for the help. It seems to have slowed down a lot and I may just go ahead and see if maybe it will tighten up a little more. If it strips I'll sure enough have to break out the J-b Weld
I appreciate the input:bow:
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 05:36 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to gtspowerstroke
Well for starters it wasn't Ford's idea at all. It's Internationals. Haven't looked at an IH truck but I would guess it's a lot easier to pull the pan on those. I don't think I'd use JB weld as it's way to permanent. But I do have a buddy that used a bunch of silicone that seems to be holding up fine. Maybe clean it up real good and get some of that IH silicone like what they have you seal the oil pan and intake manifolds with.

'96 F-250 Extended Cab, GT'S injectors, GT'S intercooler install kit, custom turbo kit with a little HX40, Swamp's BIGEST oil.
466 on #2 only
739 with NČO

13.544 in 1/4 mi!

"If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford

Yeah I can keep up!:Thumbup:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Guess your probably right
Thanks!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 09:29 PM
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulcrkjim
Yea, I was thinkin about J-B Weld, pretty drastic but not as drastic as pullin an engine to change an o ring, Ha! I guess that's one of Fords "Better Ideas" Huh? Well, thanks for the help. It seems to have slowed down a lot and I may just go ahead and see if maybe it will tighten up a little more. If it strips I'll sure enough have to break out the J-b Weld
I appreciate the input:bow:
Mine started to leak from the dip-tube at the pan, and I used some hightemp silicone (cleaned and sanded the surfaces around the area for good adhesion) a good bit of it and it fixed the problem. I'm not sure how long it would have lasted, because I ran the pickup into a tree a few weeks latter. :sofa

2007 Dodge 3500 MegaCab Laramie CTD 4x4 Patroit Blue Just a bunch of Go fast parts and programing
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Hey thanks for that info. This thing's started leaking pretty good again so I guess I'ldrain the oil out this weekend and see if I can clan it up good enough for some silicone to stick. Maybe it will fix it? I don't think I'll try the run into the tree trick just yet though.:thanks:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode